Cubase LE 4 - Unable to import complete audio file

Hi,

I use Cubase LE4 . I am facing a weird problem. When I drag/drop or import an mp3 audio file into a project, after the automated conversion that cubase does while importing, only the first few seconds of the audio file gets imported.
This problem occurs only with some files and not all files that I am trying to import.

I double checked by playing the audio file in windows media player and itunes. The audio files play for its complete length which is about 5mins

If any one knows of how to resolve this, please let me know.

Thanks

Sam: Have you tried importing a .WAV file that’s maybe 44.1 16 bit
into a project :question::wink:

Jack :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your response.

I can see the mp3 being converted into the wav file in the project pool and and it is 44.1khz 16 bit but the file duration is only 35.142 sec. Ideally it should be 5.xx mintues.

Were you telling me convert the mp3 into wav externally first and then import into cubase. Let’s say I do by downloading some s/w but I may not be able to ensure that its 44.1khz 16 bit

Not sure if was able to provide the info your were looking for, in order to assist me.

Hi Jack,

I actually downloaded real player that comes with a utility file convert. Using this utility converted the mp3 (that I was not able to import completely into cubase) into wav format. Then tried importing into cubase. I was able to import the complete file. Seems like there could be some problem with the compression due to which cubase was not able to read the complete file and hence was not able to import… However, thanks for your advise.

SamD: Is your project set to 44.1 16bit --Project > Project Setup >Sample Rate -Bit Resolution - Record File Type – Set file type to .wav :question:

Then File > Import > Audio File —

Then Import the .mp3 File
making sure “CONVERT TO PROJECT” is shown.
Click OK :wink:

Jack :smiley: :smiley:

PS: I’ve never known anyone to use a .mp3 file
when Tracking in any DAW. Is your .mp3
coming from say a Digital port-a-studio :question:
I remember Tascam made them in the 1990’s :question:
IMO — I would use a FLAC file over a .mp3

Yes, it is set exactly as you mention and it always ask for conversion to wav, if I import (a compressed file) the mp3 in my case.

I do not use mp3 in my DAW. The mp3 that I am referring to are actually the karaoke tracks minus the vocals. I import these into the cubase and then cubase converts these into wav format. So finally in my DAW I use the wav format. It was the import and the conversion that was failing. Now it is okay. I have these karaoke tracks in mp3 format because I also use these files while performing onstage.

Regards…
SamD