I’d like to run Cubase LE on a laptop PC that will never be connected to the internet.
Here, https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/free_articles/kb_show/soft-elicenser-sel-faq/kb_back/2020.html , it says:
6. Is it possible to activate a product on a computer without Internet connection?
A computer which is not connected to the internet can not be used to activate a SeL-protected product. Unlike the USB-eLicenser whose licenses can be managed independently from the computer where the software products are installed onto, it is not possible to create a SeL with licenses to use it on another computer afterwards. This is due to the fact that an SeL is bound to the hardware where it was created on.
3. Is it possible to transfer licenses from the SeL to a USB-eLicenser?
Yes, this is possible since version 184.108.40.206 of the License Control Center (LCC) and with all versions of its successor eLicenser Control Center. An internet connection is required for the transfer and activation of licenses. A license transfer from USB-eLicenser to SeL is not possible.
So I can do this? …
- install LE4 on an internet-connected PC
- activate it there
- transfer the license to a USB eLicenser
- uninstall LE4 from the internet-connected PC
- install LE4 on the (no-internet) laptop (or any other PC)
- use it there with the USB eLicenser
Assuming that’ll work, is there some kind of very-cut-down/minimal installation that I can do on the internet-connected PC? - just enough to get the license.