Cubase Linux for Cubase version 12 or 13 (or 14)

Really happy with how the development team are progressing Cubase and the direction it is headed, I feel the community and the devs have reached some sort of unsaid understanding of what Cubase is about and where things need to go deeper. Yes there are some issues here and there, and a couple bad development decisions - but this will all get sorted out I’m sure.

All in all, things are progressing.

I think as soon as Cubase really consolidates its modernization - all modern windows/menus, MIDI 2.0 incorporation, improved external FX, multi-track freeze, muti-track warp, continued improvement to CC lanes and Expression Maps, etc, etc.

It would be great to get Cubase Linux. A super stable, “finished”, bug free, Cubase Linux.

I would ditch Windows instantly, sort of not happy with its direction and lack of reduced engineering version of the OS. They’ve become more like Apple.

I think a Linux version would attract people from other DAWs, be it Logic or PT or S1.

Publicity wise, it would bring a spotlight to Cubase/Steinberg in the tech world.

Linux can be tweaked and optimized for Cubase, we could pretty much make a “Cubase OS”, and aim for NASA mission critical stability instead of having to deal with Apple and Windows constant f*&^ery.

15 Likes

I’ve been asking for this since the demise of XP: Cubase for Linux

6 Likes

That would be my OS. Even if I have to buy new hardware… For me having only one labop it is a pain and an inhibition to switch OS as for work I need linux.

1 Like

Please dont. If I could give a negative vote - this would be one of them.

Hands off the complex field of OS development and adaption. THere is NO SUCH THING as “bug free”-Software.

2 Likes

I think, that is a highly unrealistic scenario. With the exception of some niches, Linux is not a relevant platform in the music/audio world. The vast majority uses either PCs with Windows or Apple Macs. Linux is a niche phenomenon regarding desktop use in general, regarding media stuff it got some more widespread use in the animation and VFX area. But other than that…
Who would actually buy a Linux version and how would the big additional development efforts be recuperated? I actually doubt, that Linux would attract a significant portion of music people to change DAW - for a number of reasons.

Besides, there are alot of aspects to multiplatform development, and you cannot simply take an existing code made for platform X and compile it for Y. Even the deployment aspects are alot more difficult under Linux than for other OS. Linux per se is just a kernel, all kinds of distributions are made based on that kernel to get a useable OS.

And, there is no such thing as “bugfree” software. No, there is not. Not even theoretically.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Portability is a key and Bitwig, Reaper, Vital already discovered Linux.
If Cubase wouldn’t keep up, it would loose quite a bit of the market.
I think, Android version was a first step for Cubase to start on linux kernel and make code more portable towards Linux.
Why Linux when is such a “niche” system?
90% of servers work on Linux. Almost all super computers, network devices, clouds, data centres etc.
Linux can be installed on almost any device from a mobile to a super computer.
Every new Linux version through constant improvements works faster and
more stable utilising better older and modern hardware.
Windows is getting slower with every iteration. Apple is slowing down older devices and limit third party hardware.

1 Like

This nonsensical BS is being repeated by linux fanatics for decades, and is as false as ever.

4 Likes

Outside of Hans Zimmer very few folks use super-computers or data centers when making music. But I can see how spending oodles of money to make sure those platforms are covered makes sense - if only for completeness.

What market? Nobody I know uses a Linux computer professionally. Less than 3% of all personal computers run on Linux.

Someone ask this on Club Cubase a while back. I think Greg Ondo mentioned only Mac, and PC.

When it comes to PCs, it’s estimated around 2% :slight_smile:

I guess I was feeling generous! :wink:

1 Like

:joy: Oh, well, and let’s not split this to the usage by musicians.
By the way, I’m a rather heavy user of Linux and for good reasons when it comes to business :slight_smile:

I don’t think anyone here is down talking Linux. It’s probably the most efficient OS out there today. It just doesn’t have a market share.

If anyone wants Cubase for Linux, buy a Mac. MacOS’s kernel is still based on Unix afaik.

I’m not defining your choices and lifestyle.
You don’t know much about coding this days, do you? :smiley:
Cubase has to use a universal library for Mac and Windows.
Linux and Mac share lots of their architecture, so porting shouldn’t be a big problem.
Snaps would allow to share same installation across distributions.
If you are not interested in Linux version why are you commenting on the subject you completely don’t know and possibly don’t understand?

I believe you have 5 devices next to you at the moment running linux.
Do you have friends with Android devices? It runs already on linux kernel and Cubasis works fine.
Yamaha uses montavista linux (RT), others like Lionstrak uses Studio 64, Debian derivative.
Why Windows added Ubuntu to its repository if this is such a niche system? :wink:
For your information Mac and Linux share lots of their UNIX architecture.
If you are not interested in Linux don’t waste your time on hate.

You seem very knowledgeable on the subject, How much do you think it would cost for them to do if it’s not a big problem?

Yes you are.
Resources should not be spent to satisfy a minuscule bunch of platform fanatics.
But to improve Cubase in the already established platforms that everybody uses.

2 Likes

I just restate: Whatever some self defined experts on today’s software development claim: Porting is a huge effort and it would be just a waste of resources to port Cubase to Linux, since there simply aint an install base on desktops/notebooks that is relevant.
You can easily see where the “Cubase for Linux” guys come from when you look at their reactions when their wish is refused with whatever arguments: They always start to defend Unix in general even if there was no attack on Unix at all.
It is just a desperate religious attempt.
So bottom line: PLEASE STEINBERG, Do not waste ressources. If things change (the market, I mean), then you might reconsider.
Thx.

4 Likes

Exactly.

I’d expect that Steinberg values real world commercial concerns over OS techno-dogma drama.

3 Likes