Cubase Linux for Cubase version 12 or 13 (or 14)

I agree with every word in the entire post, and I think the quoted text summarizes the crux of it. Like you, I accept the proposition that Microsoft owns the platform and is completely within their prerogative to take Windows in this direction. And if I were a shareholder (I guess I have a few shares via mutual funds) I would probably approve of that.

My main beefs are:

• Microsoft has never had any priority on safety/security
  • Their Windows update process has always been horrendous. I have probably had to completely rebuild Windows machines from scratch every 2 years on average.
  • They force unwanted things like OneDrive on me. I feel like it is a continuous process to figure out how to turn these things off.

But that’s just me. Maybe others aren’t bothered by those things. However, Steinberg must realize that Windows is on the decline as a platform. Steinberg needs a strategy for moving beyond Windows, or else Steinberg will be taken down by Microsoft’s drive to monetize the Windows users.

It is 2024. There are two things that ought to be prevalent in our environment by now:

• An emulator layer in LINUX that can run any Windows app at essentially full speed. This is not a pipe dream. Such projects have been accomplished many times in the past.
  • A cross-platform framework for the apps themselves. The DAW and all its plug-ins should be able to be packaged to run natively in Windows, OSX, ChromeOS, Android, IOS or LINUX.

I don’t mean to suggest any of that would be easy, cheap, or quick to market. At this stage, there is a vast amount of legacy code, much of it highly optimized for the Windows platform. I am simply saying, Steinberg had better be working on a strategy that reaches beyond Windows. Windows is declining, albeit slowly. It would be a mistake to assume Windows power users will be migrating to OSX. They might migrate to ChromeOS, which is a variant of LINUX anyway. But most of the migration with complex workstations, such as used for DAWs will be to LINUX.

Let’s put some numbers to it. Today, for every LINUX workstation, there are 3-4 OSX workstations. And for every OSX workstation, there are 4-5 Windows workstations. But that includes all the casual users. My guess is that, when talking about power users, such as DAW users, the ratios are more like 1:2.5:8 (LINUX:OSX:Windows)

1 Like

WTF does this even mean?? Put down the pipe dude and stop with your weird Apple hate fetish because they stop doing what YOU think they should do.

I bought my 2020 Mac mini right after Catalina came out, and had absolutely no trouble migrating from a 2010 Mac Pro running Mojave to the Mini and picking right up where I left off. All of my HFS+ internal drives went into a USB-C enclosure and showed up absolutely fine, in fact they’re still here and working as they should including the drive all my Cubase and Logic Pro and Renoise and Live projects live on. Lost absolutely nothing and am still opening 10+ year old projects on the same drive they’ve been on for years without any trouble…

Not to mention APFS was introduced BEFORE Mojave when High Sierra came out.

1 Like

You’re lucky. You have (and needed) TWO Macs to rescue your files.
If you had reformatted your one and only Mac you’d be SOL, right?

Bah humbug.

Linux now and Linux tomorrow.
Windows 10, 11 is spyware and malware.
Mac came out with a new OS that makes all my favorite software stop working. Wow! What a great idea!
And . . . and . . . not ever one second of thought to the tried and true concept of BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.

By the time Mojave stops working (because of more EOL bull to cheat customers and force new purchases) I’ll be long gone.

1 Like

Even if true, for spyware/malware to be affective - your computer needs to be connected to the internet.

Which, if you are concerned about spyware/malware - your computer probably shouldn’t be connected to the internet anyways…?

Really?? Of course if I FORMAT my one and only Mac my data is gone what the hell do you think FORMATTING does? Not sure where you get ‘rescue’ out of migration, its the standard process of using Migration Assistant to copy crap from an HFS+ formatted Time Machine drive (or directly from your old Mac) to a brand new out of the box APFS formatted Mac.

It sounds to me like you just don’t know how to use the thing in general.

I started with a TRS-80. I knew how to use the thing.
Then an LNW running TRS-DOS and CP/M. I knew how to use the thing.
Then a MS PC running DOS. I knew how to use the thing.
Then Windows built on top of DOS. I knew how to use the thing.
I switched to Mac. I knew how to use the thing.
I’m learning Ubuntu. (I’m learning how to use the thing.)

I cannot forgive the lack of backwards compatibility.

Sherman

To my Cubase/Nuendo friends and respected Steinberg developers:

After Apple announced the new AI integrations yesterday in the upcoming version of macOS Sequoia, and laid out the general direction of where they are going in the future, I will be saying goodbye to macOS once and for all, sooner than I expected.

My full transition over to Linux has now been accelerated.

I already transitioned all my Windows machines to Linux, and now, after Apple’s announcements, macOS Sonoma is going to be the end of the line for me. I will not upgrade to Sequoia.

I will keep a few Sonoma-based Macs around as long as I can to help me in my final transition (I already do a lot of pro audio on Linux), but at some point in the near future, I’ll be saying goodbye to macOS just like I already said goodbye to Windows.

I just hope that Steinberg will give me some good news by then about Linux. It will be a tough goodbye, and I will miss Steinberg products, but at this point, the writing is on the wall for me, and I think Cubase 13 and Nuendo 13 are going to be the end of the line for me if there’s no hope for Linux support.

No reason to upgrade beyond 13 unless Steinberg announces Linux support before I fully jump ship.

Any remaining DAW software and plugins that aren’t available on Linux in the near future (or that I can’t get working with WINE, etc.), will be left behind unfortunately.

I’m hoping there’s someone at Steinberg HQ following what’s going on with all these fundamental changes with Windows and now macOS, and how there’s a segment of the market that is fundamentally not interested in the direction both Windows and macOS are going. I’m hoping that a Steinberg manager has the good sense to see there are customers out here like me who are really hoping for Linux versions of their products and are willing to pay for them.

As it stands, C13/N13, along with all my other Steinberg products, which include current versions of WaveLab, SpectraLayers, Absolute, etc., will be my last upgrades unless by some miracle Steinberg decides to announce support for Linux in the near future.

Apple typically supports two prior versions of macOS with security patches of course, and if that pattern holds true over the next two years, then my maximum timeline will be a little over two years before I will shut down my Macs or take them offline. However, I expect to be fully transitioned over to Linux well before then, as I won’t be starting any new projects on macOS with software that I know will not be available on Linux. Meaning, I’ll be phasing out Cubase/Nuendo and all my other Steinberg products in my new projects, starting effective very soon, and just keep some Macs around to help convert those older projects as I render stems, export, etc., to other DAWs on Linux.

I don’t mind a long beta period (like with Presonus and Studio One for Linux), and I don’t need everything all at once. I just need some positive official motion toward Linux and that would give me some real hope I can remain a Steinberg customer.

Yesterday was a bit of a wake-up call for me, and I’ll admit there was a bit of dread as I watched the Apple WWDC 2024 keynote, knowing that my timeline for Linux had just been moved up and it was going to be a lot of work to finish up my Linux transition… I’ve been procrastinating my final push for 100% Linux too long now, but at this point, it is what it is, and it’s time I push to the finish line.

2 Likes

@uarte thoroughly agree. What is Apple thinking? have they all gone mad since The Ad?

Make haste to provide Linux versions please Steinberg. As for Microsoft about to wipe out a vast percentage of their user base by ceasing Windows 10 support, Linux becomes more important than ever. Times are changing rapidly.

1 Like

I have no skin in the game, though It would be nice to not use MS Windows or MacOS.

But I want to ask you guys, isn’t it a lot more than just Cubase/Nuendo that needs to support Linux? I’m referring to the instrument libraries I use, which whether I like it or not, are in NI Kontakt. My instruments are not giant mass marketed NI libraries, but for example Xsample, which is created by a one man operation.

NI has a kind of stranglehold on these small operators, and I don’t see this changing, since NI’s bread and butter is the fact that so many use their ‘ecosystem’.

That’s for sure!

Of course. You need all parts to move. I don’t think it will be that of a big issue to move any VST plugin that works on Mac to Linux. They are both fundamentally unix system. GUI is very different, however the VST should cover most of that. Hardware accelerated GUI is more complex. And I think many of audio hardware companies have problems since much of the low-level stuff need to be open-source to have low maintenance costs. And I guess they think their drivers are “trade secrets” . Reaper and bitwig are already there.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a lot more than just Cubase/Nuendo to deal with, but the good news is that the Linux pro audio community is growing (not just with DAW options) and there are a variety of ways forward, depending on what plugins, libraries, and other tools you need.

The bad news is that the ways forward are currently very limited in some specific areas, again depending on what plugins, libraries, and other tools you need. So YMMV.

But let me put it this way – in the last few months alone, you now have TWO DAWs on Linux that handle immersive audio to one degree or another – Studio One beta, and Mixbus Pro 10, and I’m not forgetting about the flexibility of Reaper. This has been a very unexpected turn of events that gives me confidence that momentum is slowly building for more advanced kinds of workflows becoming possible on Linux.

Now I have been doing my slow walk to Linux pro audio for many years, and I’ve hit every friction point on the map, BUT again, it gets better every year, to the point that there are some large, complex projects I can do entirely on Linux now, without missing a beat.

BUT when I get into specific plugins and libraries that I rely upon on macOS (and formerly Windows), those friction points really can hurt, though, depending on the project, and it has required me to confront my “comfortable” workflows of the past and decide how much I really want to make the full move to Linux. Thus far, I have obviously fallen short of a 100% transition. Hence why I still have some Macs in the studio running Steinberg and other products! I thought I had more time to make the transition to Linux, but as of yesterday, I now know I have to go all in, much sooner than I thought.

So I fully understand the scope of the sacrifices and compromises. And everyone has a different threshold for what they’re willing to do. Only you know what you’re willing to do. In my case, my time has come to finish my Linux move. For some people it may be almost impossible to do, and I fully understand that.

However, since you brought up sample libraries and by extension plugins, you have to plan carefully and do a lot of testing, and I’ll be honest, it is going to take some effort if you’ve come to rely on specific plugins.

The following has been my plan for a few years, and is now going into accelerated overdrive mode, with regard to certain libraries and plugins:

1 - I have to continue to research and test alternative plugins, and reach out to plugin developers to encourage them to consider Linux. I have found many great Linux-native plugins (and bought most of them on the market), but there are also some big gaps which are hard to fill… The good news is that the situation continues to improve, and frankly, once Studio One for Linux comes out of beta, I think some other developers will likely join the party too. I already know of one developer who is a friend of mine who is working on porting all his plugins to Linux. So I think this will continue to improve over time.

2 - Attempt to get various important non-Linux plugins (including an older version of Kontakt, for example) and other key plugins running well under Wine/Yabridge/etc as needed… I have a few friends who have successfully done this to many of their Windows plugins, and I know the Linux pro audio community is pretty helpful about this with varying degrees of success, and I’ve tested several myself. But I’ll need to spend a lot more time to further test and see how stable these are for my own projects. I prefer option 1 above and using native Linux plugins, but I realize I have to up my game with Wine/Yabridge/etc testing now. This has been an ongoing project and now I have to accelerate this big time.

I figure I have to wrap up my testing and transition of these over the next year, if not sooner, so I can get more projects running on 100% Linux asap. The upside is that it will give me a chance to really curate the various plugins and libraries I will be able to keep on Linux. I kind of look forward to pruning the library TBH.

3 - Convert and/or sample various libraries and plugins that I need that currently only run on Win/Mac over to a native Linux sampler plugin (there are several good ones) format. This is kind of an old-school approach, but I realized that I only regularly use a tiny percentage of the vast majority of the sample libraries and VSTi that I currently own, so it will give me a chance to curate my favorite libraries/instruments and export/convert/sample them into a more standardized sample file format anyway.

I personally have a certain nostalgia for this kind of old-school workflow since my good old Roland S760 Sampler days many eons ago, and so I look forward to building up my curated library with modern incarnations of those old workflows, and the requisite sound design that will have to go into it. There will be time invested, but on the other hand, I’ll be creating a very customized personal library of sound that I know I’ll use.

4 - Keep a Mac (or Win) machine offline or totally firewalled from the Internet to use in emergencies, and/or for periodically using something like AudioGridder to network it in to your Linux session as needed. AudioGridder will probably be my last resort with a firewalled “legacy” Mac or Win machine to deal with libraries or plugins that I can’t live without, and then I’ll just render down the AudioGridder stems and shut off the Mac, for example. I have tested AudioGridder and its surprisingly usable. Over time, I will phase this method out, but this will help ease the transition over time.

5 - Live without certain libraries! I’ve come to the conclusion that I’ve also become hugely spoiled with sound libraries, and I believe there is something to say about minimalism and getting back to the basics! So there will certainly be some libraries and plugins that will simply be phased out.

6 - Be willing to learn new approaches and workflows. This challenges me to look at production in new ways, and honestly, it’s probably helped my creativity overall, despite the frustrations.

7 - An extension of item 3 above, to build out my own bespoke sample libraries… from scratch! I think of recording sessions with other musicians where I will take the opportunity to spend another couple of hours after the main tracks are done, and record more content for my own library. Will be fun!

8 - And lastly, to not give up hope that Steinberg in this case will decide to develop for Linux. I plan to keep my Steinberg licenses in the hopes that one day I can update again to Cubase for Linux, for example.

The fact is that the whole industry is clearly in flux, with lots of acquisitions and mergers in the last few years, massive changes to business models (i.e. subscription models), huge platform and silicon changes (from Intel to Apple Silicon and now Windows on ARM coming up), and also a massive change in other related areas like AI and cloud models impacting the industry.

So who is to say that DAWs and plugins running on Linux can’t thrive and be a lucrative market for developers? Right now it’s in the early stages, but Microsoft and Apple seem to be helping Linux out by pushing things on some users that they don’t want. The question is if Linux will hit the threshold where the accountants at Steinberg will pay attention? Who knows. I sure hope so.

You forgot Bitwig Studio…

I love Bitwig, I didn’t forget it though – I was just referring in that specific point about immersive audio in the last few months, such that we now have two new DAWs on the market on Linux that deal with immersive audio, namely Studio One and Mixbus Pro.

But I’m with you in the sense that Bitwig is an important DAW on Linux, possibly the best DAW on Linux, depending on what you do, and I can vouch for the fact it works great and is very stable. It doesn’t do immersive sound though (yet) but it should be on anyone’s short list when looking at Linux pro audio. My point was about how quickly the Linux pro audio scene can change in that a few months ago people were wondering if Linux would ever get much immersive audio attention, and now we have two new options.

2 Likes

Okay, I get that.
One thing that bothers me now with Apple and their latest announcement is that last year I spent over 5K CAD on a 16" MacBook Pro MAX and didn’t foresee it becoming a paperweight so soon, as Sonoma is going to be my last Mac OS now !
Oh well, time changes and we adjust to the different challenges as they appear, but I’m really not so sure that Steinberg will do the same with Linux.

1 Like

Linux is our principal workstation and we are running Maya, Blender, Mocha, Fusion and Davinci Resolve and Reaper on daily basis. Fairlight is used extensively along with edit to cut the film dialogue, do compositing, VFX and Animation, once edit is locked everything is exported to Nuendo and then back to Resolve on Linux for finishing.
So +1 for Linux.

1 Like

I’m in a similar spot. I have three recent purchases of soon-to-be-paperweights in the studio now. Sonoma is my last macOS as I mentioned above. Yeah, it isn’t a good feeling. Apple really went all the way – the wrong way – with their recent announcements. :frowning_face:

I’m even considering going cold turkey right now, which would be very difficult, but at least I’d get some money back, and there would be a tiny bit of primal satisfaction. But I’ll probably just be methodical and do this more carefully over time… but it sure would be nice to kick Apple out of my studio right now.

As for Steinberg, I agree, I’m not so sure they’ll take on Linux. I give it a 50% chance. My hope is that someone in Hamburg feels the way I do and I optimistically and maybe foolishly imagine that each post in this thread increases the percentage chance by a fraction of a fraction of a point. Who knows. It’s frustrating, happening faster than I thought it would. I’ll adjust. As you said, we all have to adjust. One way or another.

Yep, working great here on Linux as well. I have a similar workflow with round trip with Nuendo for some projects. Soon to change though!

1 Like

I think it is very much to Japanese top managers (eg Yamaha) to take the risk not to be part of the future. And I think Linux market share in Japan is quite low.

I scrubbed through this entire thread in the hope to find an answer to the question whether or not there will be a Linux version of Cubase.

So, here is my opinion on that matter: For now, it doesn’t matter because Windows is still working fine for most users.
That being said, Microsoft is going to change its Windows OS from a (paid) and licenced OS into some sort of subscription or “operating system as a service”, where Windows itself is going to run mostly in the cloud and take all your private data with it and use them for AI-training and all sorts of things. THis transformation is happening right now as we speak.

Once this process is completed, it will make music making as we have known it, virtually impossible. You didn’t pay your monthly subscription fee to Windows, so all your music projects are gone, you won’t have any access anymore to them. Your internet connection is unstable or too slow? What a pity! And so on and on…

Therefore, Linux will no longer be a product for nerds running supercomputers but it will become a necessity for all music creators if they want to have the freedom of making music as they have used to do it in the past.

That’s why I wholeheartedly support a Cubase for Linux project. Cubase for Linux along with its huge array auf built in VSTs will be a huge thing.
Linux is the future!

1 Like