Cubase Mastering

Off topic mostly…

UAD - I always buy when there’s a sale on or they’ve just given me a voucher for money off. This happens very regularly, so I’ve never had to buy a full price plugin, usually 40%-70% of the full price. For that reason I have many of their plugins :slight_smile:

Also, UAD are great because updating all the plugins is just a couple of button clicks via their own app, couldn’t be simpler. Way way more easier than updating any of my other plugins, and even Cubase for that matter. I fully subscribe to the auto-update way of working, and UAD are the only people that come close to that, it’s a big time saver for me.

Mike.

I just wish there was a way to only install the purchased ones (or even just the ones that I want now), as there are far too many slowing down loading of Cubase and RX4. It is tedious to install into a spare folder and copy across only the bought ones to the working folder, which is not helped by the listing in their app not being alphabetical.

Does that auto-update also do the authorisation updates as well? I tend to be wary of letting anything on the DAW boot auto-update.

I regularly use the UAD Precision K-Stereo Ambience Recovery Plug-In in the output chain, and the Fairchild on my wife’s vocals to add a little sweetness, especially as I need a compressor on them to be able to use Michael Stravrou’s dynamic reverb technique.

Scary thing with UAD right now is that moving forward, the $999 Thunderbolt Satellite will soon be the entry-level UAD for the mac platform. (PC users should not expect UA to keep PCI & FW around just for them, either…)

I have effectively frozen my purchases of UAD plug-ins and am looking to migrate away from UAD hardware. Also tired of having to deal with driver compatibility issues with UAD and OS updates…

I know this sounds a little OT, but the conversation DOES speak as to the overall lack of faith in stock Cubase plug-ins when it comes to high-quality processing. (As I mentioned earlier, the compressors are too slow to catch fast transients.)

///

UAD update isn’t fully automatic, there’s a button click and it checks authorization and updates then can open the web page for the necessary download. Pretty quick and well done I think. Actually Melodyne does the same I think, i.e. it opens an update website page when necessary.

Yeah I do worry about UAD hardware in the future. I’m diversifying to other plugin manufacturers a little more these days for that reason. I even considered upgrading my 2xUAD2PCIeQuad cards before the rot really sets in and while they’re still selling for good prices. But what puts me off the speed at which the USB/FIREWIRE/LIGHTHING connection method keeps changing!! Will anyone settle on one ‘final’ futureproof version ever I wonder??

But better On Topic, I don’t think we should expect Cubase to provide fantastic pro grade plugins. Much like I wouldn’t expect UAD to write a fantastic or even any DAW. I’d rather they spent the money in developing their core products, for Cubase that’s the application - then let us buy or get free plugins. I consider that each person likes different effects, for their operation, they’re sound, they’re way of being used. We’re all after getting a good mix but there’s loads of different ways of getting there using different plugins to do it. And everyone’s personal favourites gives their music their own character.

Mike.

I have been ranting about this since Cubase4. It’s a futile effort. They are going to do what they are going to do with little user feedback. Someday we will get bounce in place. I heard C8 fixes the windows management issues. This market is prosumer driven. It’s the bedroom beaters that subsidize every-day users. Focus on core product (to me that means fixing broken functions, bugs, and improving workflow) won’t be any better than prior releases. When you discuss why a developer puts so many resources into something such as Loop Mash or a new VSTI, as opposed to fixing things or improving workflow, the reply I often hear is that those features were outsourced…translation…it didn’t cost much money, and the bedroom warriors will love the new cool “oh wow” features.

Hey…did anyone see the new guitar amp in Cubase 8? :laughing:

I wrote my mastering thoughts here, Mastering In Cubase - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
but it was apparently locked due to such astute opinions such as
“Apogee clock?..na it sucks.”

Anyway I too wish a DAW developer could just focus solely on the DAW core functions, and let 3rd parties do what they do best, but in this environment that seems nearly impossible.

(fyi, it was locked (though not by me) due to the bickering, nothing to do at all with the other content.)

Phew. Sorry about that thread, guys. I tried… But I was weak…

Greggybud has hit it on the head–Cubase had to pack in more and more native plugs in order to have Elements et al., arrive fully stocked with plugins. Meanwhile, in my experience, Cubase has gone from rock-solid to a little bit shaky and unpredictable over the last few years! I’d certainly rather they pull people off of plugin design to straighten out all the (sometimes ancient and persistent) bugs. I’ll go years without even trying Steiny plugs, 'cos I’ve always got my own, go-to set that I’ll always use.

That being said, there are certainly benefits. Take the Strip in the Mixer now… I use some of those plugins pretty regularly now, and they’re just de-shelled versions of Steiny’s plugs.

Mastering is not about gear, but about ear.

Most gear nowadays, hardware or software, will be able to support a decent mastering. it is NOT in which plug or box you choose. It is the person and his/hers ears that does the trick. You cannot buy yourself to a better mastering (adding gear). Only way to get good mastering is to master, a lot. Good to know that it is not about money, sad to know that it takes a long time. There is no pill to be swallowed. No fancy miracle stuff to be bought. Hard work and time does it. BTW a good mix seldom needs mastering, only loudness control and dithering.

+1
Indeed for a good number of people, one hat too many.
(I include myself, although I will do what I refer to as pseudo-mastering typically for a demo CD for example, e.g. where the artist has no intention of having the mix properly mastered).

I really do - as usual - agree with you. However, I think the same thing will apply to the new guitar amp. I am a guitarist and my experience with guitar sims leads me inevitably to the opinion that most are unsatisfactory in many areas. Most fall down on the speaker emulation.
Guitar Rig is a glorified efx vst with very little to offer the guitarist who wants a realistic tone. Amplitude looks nice, but falls down on feel and it’s terrible speaker IR’s. Both of these have difficulty with involving clean sounds especially those on the verge of breakup. TH2 is pretty much the same, but with a tediously annoying interface.
S-Gear probably comes closer than most because it does focus upon a smaller set of features. It provides the player with a satisfying tonal range and feel. The purchase of Redwirez speaker ir’s turns it into exactly the kind of thing Guitar Amp should be. Revolver comes very close despite an unappetising UI. I am currently enjoying Bias Desktop - although I had to spend a month helping Positive Grid get it working properly in Cubase.
You see what I want is something that offers more than a scratchy, overbright and essentially untweakable sound. Bias offers this ability to tweak each stage of the amp from the pre-amp, tone-stack, to the power-amp and the transformer, despite the limited range of mics in the speaker emulation. S-Gear gets the basic tones right and allows you to achieve the kind of responsive warmth that I like.
So far what I have experienced with Guitar Amp does not fill me with a great feeling of expectation.