Cubase needs a sampler

Not saying it’s wrong, I just don’t want it as part of the main program. Had an answer like that been there in the poll, I would’ve just answered that and leave it there…

I don’t like your poll options. I do like electronic music and soft synths, but do not use a sampler.

I get along fine without a sampler. I don’t think this is what this program needs to improve. Don’t waste time on putting together a Halion4 One while our bread and butter features need a good deal of work!

Give the eye candy a break, and give us the technical improvements we have been asking (err, begging for) for years!

I kinda agree with the OP although I think “need” is maybe a tiny bit overstated. :neutral_face:

He’s talking much less about doing what Kontakt and similar very advanced samplers do and more about doing some creative things very quickly, on the fly, in the heat of inspiration. I use Kontakt 4 and Mach 5 and neither is what I’d call “immediate”, but both are very powerful. A basic sampler is more of an immediate thing, toss in a region or range and just play it pitched… but it’s really, really basic… so they’re really different things, with different uses.

OTOH, Bane also make a very good point… that there are subjectively more important things to do.

The two things may not be mutually exclusive though, unless the guys coding the core DAW are also coding instruments.

@Arjan:

hm…interesting! what do you think, would it be better to offer expansion modules or equivalent (like Reason´s “RE Rack Expansions” or Ableton live´s “Max” e.g.?

@ Bane:

oh yes, I had not thought about this poll option: do no use any sampler. hm, sorry. (try to edit this poll) :unamused:

@Audiocave:

you are right - “need” is a bit overstated, yes. But you understand what I mean, thank you.
ok, so perhaps (…?) it would be a better solution, to have drag/drop regions (wav) from Cubase into > Kontakt (!)
Because most Cubase users work with this great sampler (including me!)
What´s your opinion, Audiocave?

@all:
thank you for participating and for the replies! :slight_smile:

Cent.

THIS IS JUST UNREAL!!!
have edit this poll - and everything has been reset ???

WTF???
:imp:

Steinberg?

ok, new try… OMG…
:cry:

EDIT: oh, have a little luck!! here´s the last status (june 30 2012), attached a screenshot…
current-status-sa-june-30-2.jpg

I’ll do my part to help the cause. :slight_smile:

I LOVE to stay in Cubase as much as possible. Only reach OUTSIDE when I HAVE to. I want everything streamlined…

Cubase is so capable! Why not make it EVEN MORE? :stuck_out_tongue:

It wouldn’t make sense to carry over the responses, because now there’s an option that the original respondents weren’t able to choose - there’s no way to know how the original set of ‘No’ responses would be distributed amongst the new set of ‘No’ options - even if the carrying over was done by a person. When it’s done by a computer program, there’s even less chance of knowing how to (in effect) merge the results of the two polls, even though some options appear in both.

Yet another case in point why electronic voting will never become a reality in a truly democratic society.
(or if it does, be very, very afraid).
P.S. Cubase already has a “simple sampler” called Groove Agent One – just RTFM.

I think that was covered already…

Hi chase,
thank you for your reply! and you´re right, I understand - and calm myself right now… :slight_smile:

even if they put something like lite version of halion in cubase it will be just a commercial for real sampler, not a serious sampling tool. this is how companies that only care for the money do; not the quality of product or customer satisfaction.

P.S: Logic users are very happy about the onboard EXS-24 sampler - not a “perfect” tool, but very useful.
(see L´forums)

:wink:

I’m not using a sampler right now, but if one gets included I would probably find some use for it.

NI Kontakt has won the the war over Halion,i think it’s useless to put a sample player in Cubase.
After all it was Steinberg who won the plug-ins war with the vst concept and we must thankful for that.
We have a wide variety of plug-ins to choose from,some of them free.
I use Kontakt and built a serious library of sounds for it so i won’t change it.

@S4410: ok.

but how do you use own samples and .wav´s in Kontakt…?
click, click, click, click… folder, folder, scroll, folder, scroll, import…click, click… and so on. and so on…

:arrow_right: and drag´n drop from cubase´arrange/pool/MB into Kontakt is still impossible in current times (!)

:bulb:

^
You can drag wav files from Windows Explorer into an empty Kontakt instrument - the way you drag determines whether the file is allocated to just one (keyboard) note, or to a range of notes - and in the latter case, determines which note in the range plays the file at its original pitch, the others causing a transpose up/down by the appropriate number of semitones. Also (IIRC) you can drag a lot of files at once, to allocate them to different notes - IIRC that’s the way I’ve done things like allocate 88 sound-FX wav files across the keyboard in one motion of the mouse.

Anyone seriously using a sampleplayer already owns one like: Kontakt, Mach 5 or maybe in the future Halion 4 (after a few crucial missing features are added).

I fully agree with S4410, at this point Kontakt won the war over Halion 4. I use both, the very big plus of Halion is the full intergration with Cubase, that’s really fantastic. But as mentioned before, it is really missing some core features to compete with a sampleplayer like Kontakt.

I think that’s a bit exaggerated. No you can’t drag and drop from within Cubase, but Kontakt has an own filebrowser that does the job. Anyone who can navigate a filesystem, can work with it pretty fast. Especially when you use favorites.

yes, you´re right, niles.
But before, you must specify your own sampling folder, and searching by Kontakt´s filebrowser is a bit confusing and a time killer, I think.

Sure,i would love drug n drop in Kontakt within Cubase but i’m fine with Kontakt’s navigation for now.
I am waiting for Steinberg to implement this feature sometime…!

I rarely use my own samples,Groove Agent suits me fine for simple things.
Ofcourse for serious sample editing/manipulation it’s Kontakt all the way.

No - no need to use Kontakt’s file browser to specify your own sampling folder - just drag from Windows Explorer into Kontakt, as I was describing in my last post.