Cubase not responding/freezing Protected Object Server (32 bit)

Cubase 11 and now 12 appear to frequently hang on starting up. I get to the Steinberg Hub window but then the interface is unresponsive.

In Cubase 11 “Protected Object Server (32 bit)” shows in task manager and now with Cubase 12 (I’m currently running the demo for 30 days) on hanging also shows “Steinberg License Engine”

Cannot work out the reason why it happens. It is usually resolvable on rebooting my PC.
Help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.



1 Like

What happens if you launch the Activation Manager first (for 12)?

Still managed to get hang again when launching the Activation Manager first (for 12).

I have had this problem for some time with 11 so it is not necessarily a new thing with 12.

Any more ideas? What to investigate next? from what I can tell it makes no difference if a disable all 3rd party pluggins or not.



I have the same issue with Cubase 12 and it existed for me since Cubase 11 . You’re not alone!

Thanks… wish I could resolve this as it really does affect spontaneity if I have to reboot my PC all the time to get Cubase to work…

and why does a reboot nearly always fix it yet it frequently fails even if it is the 1st thing I open?!

At least I am not the only one!

Hi, same here. I have it only since Cubase 12. It is very annoying. Up until now I was super happy with Cubase as it always worked rock stable. So I have no clue what to do as I did not change anything on my system, only using Cubase 12 Pro instead of 11.5 Pro…

hi all,
i guess i have a similar problem with “protected object server”.
For me, Cubase 12 starts without any problems until the hub is displayed. But if I then want to open an existing project, it takes 5-10 minutes. in the task mangaer you can see that the system is hanging on “Protected …”. If I switch off the WLAN before opening a project, the project opens in 5 seconds - completely normal. Repeatable !
Until recently I assumed that external disks or NAS disks were searched for any file, which takes the time, but I can rule this out with tests. Now I think it has something to do with the connection to the Steinberg HUB via LAN/WLAN. Unfortunately, that’s not a solution for me, since my projects are and should be on a NAS disk. I’m a bit clueless at the moment.