Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

FYI:
My iZotope Vinyl .dll was installed to the Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 9\VSTPlugins folder. It shows up in the Plug In Manager VST Effects tab AND it shows up in the Blacklist tab. Same path is shown on both tabs and the VST works perfectly even though it is listed in the Blacklist.

Also, I’ll mention that clicking the Blacklist “Reactivate” button will not reactivate it. But, like I said, it work perfectly so… me no care.

Weird wild stuff for sure :unamused:

Regards :sunglasses:

Hello Prock,

yes, it looks weird, but there’s an explanation.

You will find two dlls: one is iZotopeplug_name.dll and one iZ*plug_name.dll.

The first file is the valid plug-in’s dll, the second is not.

Thank you very much Fabio. I moved the 2nd .dll you mentioned out and it is off the Blacklist and still working good.

Thanks again :wink:

Man, I don’t know if you can actually move that one out… I usually think I go too much into the details, but this time definitely not :slight_smile: Frankly speaking, I don’t know what that exactly is, but residing there, I would guess it is a file the actual VST2 dll might refer to for standard operation.

Just leave it in the blacklist, iZotope is on it already.

It is put back. And you were right, it was needed . Again, Thanks :wink:

:slight_smile:

Seems most of my plug-ins made it through, except TAL-Audio line ones (Marked as 32 bit and blacklisted)… but more worryingly Expert Sleepers Silent Way is missing and won’t show up at all (even as blacklisted). Fine in 8.5 on the same machine. What’s happened?

More or less, the same plugins that did not work in C8.5 don’t work in C9 also,for me the Korg Legacy Cell. iZOzone7.dll is blacklisted too but Ozone 7 works.If i trash the iZOzone7.dll from my vst folder Ozone doesn’t work.So both iZOzone7.dll and iZotope Ozone 7.dll have to be inside VSTPlugins in order Ozone to work. The only 32bit vst plugin that i use is Eiosis ELS Vocoder and works great with JBridger 1.75 , no administrator mode needed for this version.
Not bad :wink:

For the iZotope VSTs… Fabio explains it starting approx 7 or 8 posts back.

It makes no sense to remove VSTBridge. Just make it more reliable. I guess I will have to convert my 32 bit plugins using JBridge now…

You cannot make the VSTBridge more reliable if the plugins itself are not reliable. The only thing a VSTBridge would do is adding ancient 32 bit plugins that has not been updated in 5 to 10 years. I understand why Steinberg goes for the 64 bit path only. It forces the plugin makers to update their stuff, and improves the stability of Cubase. Let’s be fair - Cubase is often accused of being unstable in this forum, while at the end it turned out to be a badly coded plugin that was causing this.

If you really want to use unstable plugins you can always use JBridge. It’s not that there are no alternatives at all. Keep in mind though, that using 32 bit plugins using a bridge (or plugin host) can make Cubase unstable again.

I did. After restarting Cubase 9 crashed. After restarting Cubase 9 again, it did not crash. Only at the first start…
Then I decided to write East-West to fix this.

Does anybody know if play 4 works?

I’m having the same problem with my Waves plugins. They have disappeared from Pro9
Work fine in 8.5.20 but pro9 does not even see the waveshellx64 and does not even come up in the blacklist window…very weird and annoying.
I go back to 8.5.20 and all there! Back to 9…nothing!
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

This is a very important point! Worth repeating.

From the description of Plug-in Sentinel:
“With Cubase 9, we have introduced the Plug-in Sentinel which scans all VST plug-ins on start-up now.”

Won’t this mean that it will take Cubase much longer to start up, if the plug-ins are going to be scanned every time. Not just at first launch. Or am I missing something?

I hope it will not blacklist half my plugins i am constantly using :frowning:

I’m assuming it’s only done once for each newly discovered plugin. It doesn’t launch slower, anyway, actually faster because the “eLC” loading part is faster than 8.5 for me.

One user said Play 4 works.

EW Play5 at this time does not. But you can reactivate it and I have spent many hours with it reactivated with no apparent issues.

Synth1 64 bit passes sentinel fine but don’t work (extremly nasty hanging notes) but if I bridge the 64bit via jbridge it works well…

After reading this thread, and some other sources, a couple of things strike me. Plug-in Sentinel looks very much like Apples AU validation, in terms of purpose. A feature of Apples Audio Unit format that is notorious for creating problems, very similar to those reported here.

It looks like it’s next to impossible to make a validation system that works flawlessly. But who knows. Steinberg might succeed where Apple has failed, despite more than a decade of development.

It’s true that most application crashes are caused by plug-ins, and Plug-in Sentinel may help, to a certain extent, once all the bugs are ironed out.

I can’t help to think, though, that Steinberg have bet on the wrong technology! Wouldn’t it have made more sense to look at how the operating systems dealt with a similar problem. In the old day, when an application crashed, it brought the OS with it, Just like when a plug-in crashes within Cubase.

This hasn’t happened in decades. Neither Windows nor OS X “validates” applications. Their solution, protected memory. If Steinberg had chosen to make the VST/VSTi’s in protected memory box’(s) inside Cubase, they would have achieved the same (if not better) stability with none of the problems caused by a validation system.

A plug-in can crash, to it’s hearts content. It will not bring Cubase down with it.

Perhaps it is not possible to run VST/VSTi plugins in protected memory. Maybe it’s time to think about retiring the VST format and develop a more modern format from scratch. Avid/Digidesign did this, when RTAS became too long in the tooth. The VST format, actually, celebrates it’s 20th birthday this year. Happy birthday! VST! It was “born” in 1996. 20 years old is an old-timer in the world of software. OS X, Windows as well as Cubase itself has been re-built from the ground up, during these years.

If Steinberg do decide to develop a new plug-in format, I hope they go for running the plug-ins in protected memory.