Cubase Plug-in Sentinel: Blacklisted plug-ins

There is no reason to assume the Sentinel is what’s faulty. We should expect developers to fix the issues in their plugins, and not build a sandbox around them because they’re so badly made.

Isn’t it ironic, then, that the Sentinel has been developed mostly in order to exclude plug-ins that misbehave due to an OS bug that causes… memory corruption?
:slight_smile:

Does that mean the Sentinel was mostly made for Mac OS X?

Mmmhh, not really, that ‘mostly’ was a lil forced I admit (was a light-hearted comment). But on OS X it also forces a crash to find the plug-ins affected.
The rest should be the same on both platform - a compliance test.

Alright, I see now. It’s good that you’re combining this with talking to plugin developers, hopefully it’s better for everyone this way.

Greetings musicbeat,

You were a little short on the link https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/207348390-Plug-in-Sentinel-for-Cubase-9

This thing does this sometimes.

Regards,

Steve

Thank you! I’ve been telling people this for days but no one was listening. I’ve OCD with my instillation folders and was very annoyed when installing iZotope some months back, they’d removed the choices from the installer. I couldn’t tell which was the dll i wanted to keep, I was going to email them and ask. Thanks to Sentinal it made it very clear. Thank you Steinberg. The plugin manager is seriously improved. Cubase took for ever to load and I got crashes when jumping from project to project. Not no more… Naughty plugins!!!

I also like, when one clicks on a plugin in the master list, it shows you where it is in your created list. It’s the little things like this that make users go NICE, when using it. 5 seconds earlier dreading the Headache of thinking about which plugins are actually in my folder.

AND… Cubase giving up on 32 bit was easily the best choice to make, spend resources else where… Those who need it can use Jbridge. We wanted stability and Stability is what they are giving us.

I see. At least there is JBridge… Seems to work decently on most old plugins – though not all.

I take it back… I am actually glad now that they got rid of VSTBridge… In the past, it’s the one thing in Cubase that would always crash on me when opening old projects… On the other hand, now that I converted all my old plugins to JBridge, I am just surprised how much smoother and faster they open up now. We’re talking about ten year old projects… Now I just convert the plugins I truly need, which works great!

I just about passed out when I saw that Sonic Academy’s Nicky Romero KICK and KICK2 were both blacklisted, as was everything from Izotope. Those make it in to almost every mix.

BUT…

On further inspection, KICK and KICK2 both installed a 32bit version into my 64 bit plugins folder (something I’m usually very careful about de-selecting when installing so I have no idea how those snuck in there!) and it was only those 32 bit dll’s that were blacklisted.
The 64bit version is in my plugins list and working.

I think ALL the Izotope 64 bit VST2 versions (I have just about everything from them) got blacklisted. Most of the VST3 versions are in my plugin list and operate as normal. I’ve only so far noticed BreakTweaker isn’t there and not working.

So, that being said, Sentinel stopped almost nothing from being accessed in my entire collection! Which is really quite something considering my slight “hoarding issue” with VST plugins and VSTi’s . I usually go for dinner if I’m doing a rescan! (there’s several thousand to rescan, and for those leering - they are ALL legit and licensed!)

The vst2.4 shell doesn’t work anymore. The vst3 does!

Can we have the old SX3 plugins back in cubase 9 please .

hi there ,i still use the old double delay ,reverb A and rotary and a few more from way back now and again, they are very simple plugins and do what they say on the can . i dont like it now that the policeman plugin sentinal has blacklisted them considering they were even actualy made by steinberg . when i open completed projects in cubase 9 now there are lots of missing plugs namely the ones ive mentioned ,if you cant get these old simple plugsins ive mentioned working then shame on you.

there must be some way because i just loasded some old 32 bit plugs with jbridge, but cant load the ones i previously mentioned at the moment . i dont know why steinberg hasnt copied these old plugs , i heard somebody mention that plugs arnt changed from one version to the next so that the sound will remain unchanged if you load a project into cubase 4 then into say cubase 8 your mix should remain the same .so how am i supposed to do that if they suddenly make something obsolete

Virtual Guitarist 1, Groove agent 3, Wizoo Darbuka is no way to play with Cubase 9???
Thanks!

its possible using jbridge

Is any link to download it??
Thanks!

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=jbridge

To be fair Fabio, I don’t think that the two (The OS bug and Protected memory) has anything to do with one another! I compared two methods of preventing a crashing program/plug-in to drag the OS/Host Application with it. One that Apple has tried for over a decade to get to work properly, and failed! One the both Apple and Microsoft has used for about the same length of time, that has worked flawlessly.

I have had several programs crash on me (including Cubase) since Apple introduced Protected Memory in OS X. Never has a crash taken the OS with it. Not a single time. Actually, when Cubase crashes, I need to reboot the cumputer. However, that is not because the OS has become corrupted or crashed, but because of a long-standing bug in Cubase.

As I’ve said, Steinberg might succeed where Apple has failed for over a decade. There’s not much speaking in it’s favour so far, though, judging by all the complaints on this forum.

I guess we can all agree that we all would appreciate a rock-solid Cubase. It is my opinion though, that “Protected Memory” is a far better avenue to explore than “Validated Plug-ins”, and I am backed by the real world examples.