Cubase Pro 10.0.20 Crashing in Windows

Hi,

I’ve emailed Steinberg support about this but they have yet to be able to help me and I urgently need to be able to use the program. My first question: is there a way that I can uninstall the 10.0.20 update without completely uninstalling Cubase 10 Pro? I was not having frequent problems before I updated but now it is crashing so frequently that the program is almost useless to me. I’m wondering if it is crashing because of the update. If the crash dump log is supposed to be under Documents/Steinberg/CrashDumps, there is nothing in that folder except for a file of 0 KB. I’m unable to attach the file since it is 0 KB. Is there somewhere else I can locate a crash dump log? Information about my problem and the specs of my system are below. I’m not using any plugins. I’m using a Focusrite 2i4 interface and a Nektar Impact LX49+ controller.

Product: Cubase Pro 10 (download, education). Please note I have upgraded to the version 10.0.20 Build 187
HP Spectre x360 - 15t Touch Laptop
•Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (1.8 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
•16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB)
•Windows 10 Home 64
•No Internal ODD
•512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Description of problem:
I am having persistent (repeated) problem with the program crashing. It crashes even when I’m not “doing anything” other than I have a project open (but not playing or making any edits to it). It crashes a lot when I’m trying to use the Mix Console. It is crashing so frequently that I really can’t get anything done. I have tried closing all other applications. I’ve restarted my computer. I’ve shut down and turned it on again. I’ve searched the forum and saw a post about running sfc/scannow which I managed to figure out how to do (and then I restarted again even though it said there was nothing wrong). I’ve tried disabling most tracks on the project. I’ve tried switching projects. I tried disconnecting my controller. Details of my computer system are below in case it is helpful. I looked in the Crash Dump folder which I saw mentioned in the forum and I see a file but it is 0 KB so my email program will not let me attach it (also that file is dated from 4 days prior to the near-constant crashes. At one point it crashed nearly 20 times in an hour (I lost count). Sometimes I only have a project open for less than a minute before it crashes.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. I’ve only been using Cubase Pro for 6 weeks and it’s generally an amazing program but this crashing is making me think that I should have picked a different DAW to learn. However, I’ve already made the investment in the program and since I’m committed to completing this course, I need to resolve these issues so I can do my coursework.

To remove the 10.0.20 update…

Go to Settings>Apps>Program and Features (on the right)>View Installed Updates. Then right click on the update to uninstall it.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Thanks, Prock! That was very helpful. I’ve uninstalled the update. Hopefully this will result in fewer crashes.