Cubase Pro 10.5.20 Flickering and sluggish on Windows 10 SOLVED!!

I have been troubleshooting a problem I have been having with Cubase Pro 10.5.20 for about 3 days now and I have still not found a fix. I will copy and paste what I have been experiencing from my post on VI.

Wishing everyone here all the best!

I’m having an odd problem with Cubase Pro 10.5.20 on Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 64bit, no problems here, my rig has been working even better then when I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64bit awhile back, and did not do a clean install.

Over the last few weeks I did a clean install of Cubase Pro 10.5.20, along with installing all of my Plugins and so fourth.

About a couple weeks ago I was running some tests, I created an Empty Project and running a couple Instances of Kontakt and an 8 Bar Legato part, nothing else. Everything was good and working smoothly. As it was a test I didn’t save it with a proper Project Folder Structure. Regardless, I still didn’t have any problems until suddenly one day I opened the Project, Cubase became extremely sluggish when navigating the project. And the menu bar at the top upon clicking, all of the drop downs were flickering. When the Project would be loading up, when the Kontakt patches were being loaded they just appear white until the Project opens.

I was basically like hmmm, maybe it’s something to do with the fact I didn’t have a proper Project Folder Structure although that doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Nonetheless, I deleted the Project.

So now for roughly the last 4 days I have been building a new Template and saved it with a proper Project Folder Structure. I have not had a single problem until today. The flickering of the Menu Bar is back when I open the Project. However, Cubase doesn’t seem as sluggish but it’s still kind of sluggish. The Performance Meter in Cubase is at 0. Now from past practice I have learned that usually when a problem on a Machine arises it’s usually do to a change that has been made, however I haven’t made any changes since working on the Template yesterday.

Another odd part is I can open an older Cubase Project, without this flickering occurring, which was the case as well when I was doing the initial test.

Any ideas? I appreciate it!

I thought I would add, when I mean sluggish this relates to Zooming in the Arrange view, or clicking a Channel in the Arrange view, there is a significant delay.

Has anyone at all had a problem similar to this and or does anyone have any ideas on a potential fix?

I have been troubleshooting the issue for the past few hours. And I discovered this.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by an incompatible app or display driver. To determine whether an app or driver is causing the problem, check to see if Task Manager flickers. Then, based on that information, you’ll need to either update the app or the display driver.

Check to see if Task Manager flickers
Open Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on the keyboard at the same time. If that doesn’t work, right-click the Start button in the lower-left corner of your screen and then select Task Manager.

If Task Manager doesn’t flicker, an app is probably causing the problem.
If Task Manager does flicker, a display driver is probably causing the problem.

And I declared that the issue on my Machine could be the second point in this list here. As when the problem occurs while Cubase is opened and on the Project I mentioned, the Cubase Menu Bar is flickering and when I right click to open Task Manager even the Options presented flicker along with when Task Manager is opened.

So what I did is updated my Graphics Driver to an Optional Beta Version as my Graphics Driver was already currently up to date. I still have not went through the process of entering the Device Manager uninstalling my video Driver that way in Safe Mode then letting Windows Re-install the Driver. This is what I am going to try next. Actually first what I will try is what I listed below but when I am in Safe Mode without uninstalling the Microsoft Redistributable.

I also tried Disabling the Windows Error Reporting Service along with Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel, for some this can be a fix. However, in one of the videos I saw on it, there was a mention of uninstalling a Microsoft Redistributable, there’s a few of those on my Machine, so I don’t feel comfortable uninstalling them as I don’t know which.

Now, why I find this problem so baffling is that I can still open Cubase no problem, start a new Project no problem. Like as I said I was building the Template for 4 days with no problems at all, then all of a sudden this flickering issue appears out of no where and only on that Template at the moment. The problem does not occur on an older Project but I almost think that if I was to say work on one of those older projects for a few days, saving as I go, I almost feel like one day I will open the Project and the issue will become present as that is basically what has happened. Very baffling? And because of this I would almost draw the conclusion that it is Cubase and no Windows.

If anyone has any ideas, I’d greatly appreciated it. I will report back if I solve the problem.

I have another update after some more troubleshooting.

First, I Disabled of Windows Error Reporting Service and Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel within system configuration and while I was in Safe Mode after rebooting that still did not correct the issue.

Next, I uninstalled my Graphics Driver along with using the Delete Option while I was in Safe Mode. Then used Windows Update to install the Driver Windows found, however that did not resolve the flickering issue when in the Cubase Project was opened. Next, I installed the Driver via the AMD app, that detects my Graphics Hardware and finds the corresponding newest Driver.

I think now I will be on to doing another clean install of Cubase Pro 10.5.20, as I said it’s so baffling regarding the timing of when the problem arises and occurs.

I started my day with doing a clean install of Cubase Pro 10.5.20, this did not correct the problem. I also did a reinstall of Kontakt as I thought maybe that Plug was causing the problem. Troubleshooting, troubleshooting and more troubleshooting…

I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, which is a fresh clean install. 3 SSDs, all in good health. AMD FX 8150 8 Core CPU at 4.06 GHz, 32 gigs of RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series. As I said why I find this problem so baffling is I can work on a project for 4 or 5 days with no problems at all, as that was how long I spent building the new Template. And the same thing occurred in a Project with only 2 instances of Kontakt.

Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any that someone may have, I’m running out of ideas.

Cheers and Thanks,
BigAL

So I had a total breakthrough today! I don’t know why I didn’t try this before, in my Template there is one Instance of Kontakt with CS Room Tone always Enabled. So what I did was Disabled that Instrument Track and BOOM problem is gone, no Toolbar flickering and Cubase returns to not being sluggish. I am now drawing the conclusion that the issue is directly related to Kontakt. However, before making this discovery I Uninstalled Kontakt and did a fresh install which did not correct the issue. But now I am sure it is directly related to Kontakt. The timing of when the issue spawns is still baffling as I said but I am excited on this new discovery!

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions at all with this new found knowledge pass it on, I’d really appreciate it!

Cheers and Thanks,
BigAL

Hey All,

It turns out Kontakt or Cubase wasn’t the Culprit and it was EQuality on as an insert. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this, 4-5 days of pulling out my hair on the problem!

Cheers,
BigAL