Cubase Pro 10.5 Numerous Issues - Raising the White Flag

Hello forums,

I was hoping to avoid making this post, holding out that I would be able to resolve these issues; however, any workable solutions appear to elude me.

Incoming wall of text and issues with Cubase 10.5:

1. VST Sound Library “” not found:

Three days ago I started getting an odd error popping up every time cubase starts and initializes its content. It apparently cannot find FCP_SMT_152_GASE_Acoustic_Studio_Kit.vstsound, but the file is indeed in the correct location. I have tried locating it, ignoring it, and removing it (The options available on the popup dialogue) but nothing works. It then proceeds to rescan everything as normal and open. Not the biggest issue, but a mild inconvenience. I have also tried physically removing the file from its location and returning it, but it does not appear Cubase recognizes it anymore.

1. Cubase WILL NOT remember any of my preferences or CC lane layouts.

For some reason, around halfway through 9.5’s life cycle, Cubase will randomly revert random settings and preferences that I have set to their default for no apparent reason. The most annoying of which are my CC lane templates. Between the various synths and vsts that I use, and the multiple fader presets I have on my midi controller, I am usually able to circumvent this annoyance by just recording automation in and showing used automation. The most frustrating part, however, is that in the drop down menu for choosing a CC, it reverts back to the default, meaning I have to slog through re-adding all the various CC lanes that I normally utilize.

This also applies for transport/recording behaviours, as well as automation resolution settings.

1. Cubase will randomly assign an output/input to random tracks when launching a project.

The most infuriating issue of the bunch, but luckily I caught it before sending out all of my stems on a current gig. Cubase is assigning random outputs to my tracks. Nothing like starting a project, mixing it and trying to figure out why all my panning and low frequency information is messed up, to then realize that it had randomly assigned the outputs to Stereo Left or Right when I had them routed to various buses.

1. Cubase will randomly change my selection to another track, and it’ll sometimes just start selecting random tracks extremely quickly before crashing.

Not sure what is causing this one, but this has been happening to me since 9.0.

1. Cubase will revert instantiated plugins’ settings upon restart.

Major issue, just started happening today.

At this point, I am out of ideas how to resolve these problems. I have tried doing clean installs and resetting my preferences.

Now, I do not know if there is anything bugged in my preferences/keybindings, as one of the files I use has been built upon since Cubase 8.0, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Worst case scenario, I could wipe everything related to Cubase from my rig and just take pictures of all my settings etc to rule that out, but if I could avoid doing that, it would be fantastic since I currently have client work that needs finished.

Thank you in advance. Would greatly appreciate the help.

Hi,

I would recommend to reinstall Cubase from the Full Installer.

Make sure you:

• Download the Full Installer.
  • Unpack the ZIP file and install from the unzipped folder.
  • Install from the setup.exe.
  • Install as administrator.
  • Install to the system © drive.

That means Cubase doesn’t quit properly. Cubase is saving the preferences while quit. If Cubase crashes (even silently while quit), the preferences is not stored. Can you see any *.dmp files?

Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Do you mean like out of nothing? Or when adding track or…? Do you mean Audio tracks or MIDI tracks or…?

Do you have any MIDI Device connected, which is used as a Generic Remote Device or any other MIDI Device?

What plug-ins concretely?

I would recommend to go for clean installation and preferences. For the preferences, I would recommend to remove all Cubase versions preferences. To me it looks like some corrupted preferences has been inherited from an older Cubase versions. Rename all Cubase preferences folder here, please:
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase _X__64

I suffer the point 2 too. It’s quite annoying and it’s not necesarily related to what Martin says, because it happens even in the same session. I close the key editor and I open it again and then the CCs I had put are disappeared (but not always!).

I think that the obligation to release a major paid update/upgrade in November/December each year is what prevents Steinberg from working to solve the current problems Cubase has.

Because these are not the only ones. However, you don’t sell a paid upgrade saying “we’ve solved all the bugs we have until now!”.

Moreover, when they release these upgrades, things that worked well stop working properly…

Of course, I wish Steinberg team proves me wrong the next time :wink:

Hi,

This is not a global settings, this is MIDI Part related. So if you open MIDI Part A, change the CCs view and open MIDI Part B, you would get the CCs view of the MIDI Part B.

Thanks for the reply Martin. I’m definitely leaning towards a hard restart :I

1. Outputs being reassigned: It is doing this to tracks that already exist within the session and have been routed–not when adding a track.

2. I do have a nektar panorama and a keyboard plugged in, but this issue persists if both devices are unplugged and not in use within cubase.

3. Honestly, for this one it has been doing it to a bunch; however, the main ones are from Fabfilter.

I should probably clarify that the issue I am referring revolves around the CC lane view presets vanishing, not necessarily the difference between the last showed cc lanes on a midi part.

Also, it has to do with what CC lanes are available to be selected from the main dropdown menu before having to go in and manually move them to the visible section–to then select.