Cubase Pro 11 loses focus on Windows 10 (old bug still not fixed?)

A constant for me:

1. Open a project (easier with a bigger one that takes a bit of time to open)
  2. Switch to another window while the project is loading
  3. When the project has finished loading, switch to Cubase (I always use Alt-Tab but works the same when clicking in the taskbar)
  4. Nothing happens, Cubase doesn’t show up. I need to Alt-tab over to another window and then back to Cubase, then it pops up.

Been like that for ages for me. Also seeing all kind of focus issues, like clicking OK in a dialogue and Cubase loses focus. I could sum it all up but in a way it feels more like a fundamental issue than something down to specifics.

I’m getting a similar issue now. For example importing an audio files, or even a new Instrument track means CB 11 pro minimises itself to the taskbar and takes more than a click to re instate it to full screen.
It didnt used to happen, but now happens all the time.

I’ve encountered a couple of these issues but the main one for me is that after an offline bounce the project window will lose focus and I need to click the taskbar icon twice for it to return.

Is this related to the above issues do you think?

Yep, thats something i see 100% when doing bouncing.

I do a lot of drag and dropping into the main Project Window and Cubase never gets the focus back.
1/ Cubase project is open. Focus is on Cubase.
2/ I want to insert an audio file into Cubase project window so I open Windows Explorer and browse to the desired folder.
3/ I select the file(s) I want to insert into the project and drag them into Cubase.
4/ The focus is still on Windows Explorer which makes the drag and drop process quite difficult.
5/ Even after dropping the files into the project, the focus is STILL on Windows Explorer with Cubase in the background. I have to ALT TAB into Cubase to get it back on focus.

If it’s not clear I can make a short screencast of this issue.

How is this long standing bug still not fixed? I experience it randomly when changing settings.

Same problem here from Cubase Pro 11.

Yes I also still have this- Every time I hit apply on preferences window or export MIDI window.

My favorite is the epilepsy induction when applying Detect Silence to multiple clips.

Hey guys,

this problem still exists, doesn’t it? It still annoys me every day. Any solution so far?

For VST-I and VST-FX (and maybe other windows), to keep the focus when you open the browser or in my case a notepad to copy settings or sounds that interest me, you have to uncheck “ALWAYS ON TOP”.

Curiously, the setting does the opposite of what it is supposed to do…

I can’t put a link (the forum forbids it) but there is a demo on youtube (from 2015). Look for the title “How To Keep Plugins From Disappearing When Cubase Loses Window Focus”

I much preferred the old way of working with windows, which offered much more flexibility of arrangement. In WINDOWS, it was possible, for example, to put the mixer off-screen, under the arrangement screen, and reach it with the scrollbars. Very usefull ! Currently and for years, I do not adapt to this new system which does not follow the logic of WINDOWS system, in my case (don’t know for MAC users).

Is there a solution to this? Updated to Cubase 12 and it still happens. I have a dual monitor setup and when I switch to write a lyric sheet in Word on the other monitor Cubase stops playback. This doesn’t happen with Reaper so it can be done! Any answers Steinberg?

What you describe is not what this topic is about. This sounds like you have activated Release Driver When Application is in Background.

Apologies, you are correct and thanks for the solution!

1 Like