Cubase Pro 12 & Spectral layers 9 elements issue

Hi all, I am having some major problems with Cubase Pro 12 and Spectral Layers 9 Element. If I use SL to do some editing Cubase hangs on closing and I have to go through the safe start process?
Basically it only happens when I use SL, using Cubase Pro is fine, so I wondered if any one else is having this problem and could offer some guidance? I’m using the latest Windows, Cubase and SL updates and my computer hasn’t had this hang problem prior to SL??

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply, which is very detailed!
The only issue I have is that I don’t use Dropbox, so will I be able to email the file to you?

Best regards,

Jim Burridge

Hi Martin,

Another crash just happened, here is the dump!!

Cubase 12.0.30.286 64bit 2022.7.1 16.17.31.964-freezedump.zip (220 Bytes)

And here are some that happened earlier!

Looking at the

Cubase 12.0.30.286 64bit 2022.7.1 15.16.19.741.zip (847 KB)

Martin,

I have sent you several crash files and I thank you for your interest in my issue…………however, I think there is a bigger problem and I cannot for the life of me sort it out!!

I recently purchased Spectral Layers Elements 9, and the shortcut that appear on my screen says it is Spectral Layers Elements 9….but when I open the program it says it is Spectral Layers 1 version 9???

I read on the forums that I need to DL the Steinberg Activation Manager, which I have done, and I un-installed and re-installed SL 9, but it is still sowing SL1 version 9. When I run SL9 with my Cubase Pro, and click the “about” tab under the help menu, that says it is SL 1 version 9, so have I been conned???

I have raised a ticket with the help desk, but I am not happy about the poor service from Steinberg re this issue. I have been a loyal Steinberg used for many years but I feel that there is something majorly wrong with SL 9 when used alongside Cubase Pro, and I would like a satisfactory resolution OR a refund and I will remove SL 9 from my system!!

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Unfortunately the freeze DMP files don’t contain any relevant info at all. And the DMP files might have different source of the issue, not related to the one you described. We will see.

Hi,

From the very first guess, the crash might be related to a graphics. What graphic card do you use, please? Is your graphic card driver up to date, please? Is Spectra layers up to date, please?

If you have NVIDIA graphic card, try this, please:

• Download the latest Studio driver version from here. If there is no Studio driver for your graphic card, use the one, which is available and continue with the same steps bellow.
  • Disconnect the computer from Internet to make sure Windows will not download and install own graphic driver.
  • Uninstall the NVIDIA driver.
  • Restart computer.
  • Start the NVIDIA driver installation (as administrator).
  • Don’t install the whole package, use the Custom (Advanced) settings.
  • Disable everything (don’t install NVIDIA Experience, PhysX, etc.), keep just the video driver enabled.
  • Connect your computer to the internet.

Hi Martin,

My graphics card is Intel® UHD Graphics 620