Cubase Pro 8.5 + RME HDSPe MADI + TotalMIX + Direct Monitor

Long subject, I know - I’m using Cubase Pro 8.5 with all the above, been having good luck with no latency tracking with RME’s TotalMix, but I’ve been told that even in Direct Monitor mode the UAD-2 effects should work. Anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks!

Gantt

Hi
What do you mean ‘the UAD effects should work?’

If you’re monitoring using Totalmix, you benefit from no latency, and you don’t need to use Direct Monitoring. UAD FX will, of course, be working on playback tracks, but you can’t use them inside Totalmix.

Direct Monitoring is there to provide low latency monitoring inside Cubase. You don’t say if you’re on Mac or Windows, I’m guessing Windows because there is no DM for RME users on Mac.

In Direct Monitor mode Cubase controls the RME TotalMix output. It has some quirks but I’m begininning to understand how it works and it’s pretty slick. I’ve been using an external reverb, which works generally fine, but once I’m pretty sure the UAD reverb was working while using DM. Maybe it was a hallucination.

gantt

Only in Windows unfortunately, Mac RME users have not had this feature since OS X (about 12 years…)