Cubase Pro 8.5 with El Capitan is super stable...

Cubase Pro 8.5 with El Capitan is super stable on my end. I do have some bugs and some things don’t work properly but Im not sure why most people are having so many “crash” issues… But this is a detailed explanation of what I did and my specs.

What I did and always do:

Every time there is a new OS for mac I backup everything… (well really just everything I don’t want to lose, system files I leave alone because that gets replace with the new OS). Then I clean out my computer doing the following.

Restart the computer and hold down “Command + R” right after the start up sound and keep holding until I see the screen to run “Disk Utility”, click on disk utility then click “continue” to open it up, then I click on “Macintosh HD” and go to the erase tab then I erase the disk twice for safe measure, then I close out of disk utility which would then take me back to the previous screen where at that point I can click on reinstall, which will only reinstall the current OS, but what I do to get the version of the latest OS in this case El Capitan, is close that window which will then bring a pop up asking to restart the computer. But when I do that it will restart not knowing what OS to start from therefore it will install the latest one directly from Apple. Giving me a fresh install of the latest OS instead of an overlay with the previous one.

I also do this even if there is a new version of Cubase but the same OS. The only difference is instead of restarting the computer after I clean the disk, I just click on “Reinstall” since the OS is the same. Therefore I always have one straight fresh version of the latest Cubase installed, instead of an overlay or two Cubase on my computer at the same time confusing things.

Also, I know this one might be hard for a lot of you to do, but I don’t run any crack plug-ins on my system. I think it’s very idiotic to put crack plugins in a DAW and when the DAW starts acting crazy you blame the company of that DAW for having a buggy product. The DAW might very well be buggy but if you have crack plugins on it you have to factor in the possibility of your plugins causing it. Thats why I think anyone with crack plugins installed should not be allowed to post issues because that only sends Steinberg on a wild chase to fix problems that don’t exist but we’ll save that topic for another time.

Im not saying that everyone should go erase their computers Im just stating what I did so please don’t go doing anything crazy. LOL!

My Specs:

Cubase Pro 8.5
Mac OSX El Capitan 10.11.2
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 2.6 GHz Quad Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3

This is all great and I’m very happy you have a stable setup, but this is overkill and spreads some misconceptions about how computers work.

Does literally nothing.

You already wiped the previous one when you erased the disk, so there is no ‘overlay’ to speak of. Installing 11.2 right off the bat instead of going from 11.1 → 11.2 doesn’t give any real benefit, either - the systems should be identical at that point.

Also not necessary; 6.5/7/7.5/8/8.5 can all co-exist without issues (aside from the fact that no single OS X version supports all of those versions).

I get what you’re saying, but this is not a good argument. If you plug a janky appliance into an outlet and it causes an electric fire and burns the house down, you don’t blame the appliance - you blame the fact that the house wasn’t constructed with a circuit breaker or up to fire code. A crappily coded/cracked plugin should never crash the entire DAW - Steinberg should be defensively coding in an open platform like this, and if they aren’t then that’s a huge mistake on their part.

I actually got the idea to do everything the way I described from Steinberg with a previous version of Cubase that I had and installed it the regular way like everyone else and was getting non stop crashing. After contacting customer support and going back and forth trying different things, that was the last solution, to take Cubase off completely and just reinstall from the latest version to avoid the overlay with two Cubase versions on my system and that was the only thing that worked. I did it every time since that… well except with version 8.5 which I got a crash from first launch at the splash screen, and several more within ten minutes of use. (I even made a post about that)… Until I did it the way I explained then it got stable again. So I understand what your saying, and maybe what I do is really overkill and pointless but its the only thing that works… (for me at least). so if its all the same with you or anyone else coming to +1 what you said… I will continue to do it that way.