Cubase Pro 8 can't find Valhalla x64 plugs

Just installed Cubase 8 Pro on Win 7 x64 (sticked to WinXP / Cubase 5 for such a long time…) - and got a whole galore of issues.

One of the most simple and shocking ones is Valhalla plugs - my “go to plugins” for reverb - don’t seem to work at all with Cubase 8. Simply, it cannot find x64 versions of the plugins - no matter which directory I put them in/add it in the plugin manager. The only way to make it work is through bridging 32 bit plugs - but it’s absolutely unstable, unfortunately.

Am I alone having this issue? I’ve seen multiple reports of preset browser not working, but no reports about unable to install x64 Valhalla plugins… Any help/advice?

Thanks!

Mine work fine, but I only have 64bit versions installed. What happens if you remove the 32 bit versions ?

Hello,

are the Valhalla plugs up to date? I have everything Valhalla myself, all of them are working great.
Can you try to place the x64 dlls in a standard path (e.g. C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins), don’t have the x86 versions scanned and delete the “Vst2xBlacklist Cubase.xml”?

Cheers,

If you have all of the Valhallaplugins yourself, how could Cubase 8.0.0 pass the betatest :question:

The issue with the menu was introduced at a later beta stage and was not possible to fix in time although I reported it, as it was related to the Framework used.

Managed to solve the issue… Don’t know what was the problem - maybe conflict of 32bit versions with 64bit? I deleted Vst2xBlacklist Cubase.xml, put everything into /Steinberg/VSTPlugins and now the plugs were finally “seen” by the DAW.

One more question about possibilities to arrange plugs into custom folders. If the default location for all VSTs now is only one “/Steinberg/VSTPlugins” - how is it possible to separate VST instruments from VST FX plugs?
Also, how is it possible to prevent VST2 versions of plugs from duplicating VST3 versions (if there are two versions supplied by VST creators)?

Hello PPG,

great, thanks for reporting. My suggestion was only a rapid way to sort it out, this does not mean you cannot organise your plug-ins differently. The standard paths for the 64-bit installation are as follows:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2

You can choose whatever path you want, but you will need to add them to the paths Cubase scans in the Plugin Manager. A quick recommendation to not mix up 32 and 64-bit versions is to place the 64-bit version in a C:\Program Files\ sub-folder and the 32-bit versions (if at all necessary) in a C:\Program Files(x86)\ sub-folder.

You find a couple pretty in-depth articles about this here:
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/using-32-bit-plug-ins-on-64-bit-systems.html
https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/instructions-on-how-to-organise-32-and-64-bit-plug-ins-separately.html

As per separating FX and VSTi you can do several ways, this is how I currently organised mine:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VSTi2

In order to prevent VST2 duplications, you can:
– decide to not install VST2 versions where allowed
– delete the VST2 dlls from your hard-drive
– move them to a folder Cubase does not scan (i.e. C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 unused)
– use the Plugin Manager to create a ‘VST2’ folder in the same category - i.e. a ‘Compressor’ folder with a VST2 inside it that is only used to gather the duplicated VST2 versions, this way you have them available if you need to load them but do not add to an already much populated folder.
– Lastly, you can just leave them out of your ‘Collection’, thus having the plugs available but not visible in your list

Cheers,

Thanks, Fabio - this is perfect. After I sorted out the Valhalla problem, it looks that I indeed can freely move plugins from a folder to folder and it works just fine. So since I typically arrange installed plugins on the drive (and it’s reflected also in Cubase) - I have just re-created in my new Win7x64 system the plugins structure I’ve been using for years on the former XP machine.

I have only two questions left on this subject:

a) is there an easy way to sort VST3 plugins by different sub-folders on the hard drive? (similarly, how it’s done with VST2) so far it seems that Cubase decides to sort VST3s on its own according to some really unclear specs

b) out of curiosity - why are the plugins folders not streamlined/unified? why does Steinberg consistently choose to have more than 1 folder for installing plugins?

Thank you very much for your answer!

You can only sort VST3 plug-ins by creating your own collection. VST3 plug-ins’ category is assigned by the vendor and is not user-selectable.

Just create a copy of your collection in the Plugin Manager, move the VST3 plug-ins to the folder where you want them to appear. Done. The default collection cannot be deleted.

The plug-ins path was always C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins - but VSTs are, by all means, Common files as you might want to use the same in more than one host, so it’s quite logical to add that path as well. Many plug-ins are installed by default in one of those paths, so including them prevents, in most cases, to have them not found.
Forcing all vendors to use one path would be pointless - and some vendors would keep on using their specific path regardless.

Thank you very much for such detailed responses, Fabio! It’s all much clearer now and the tips are well appreciated.

It’s still a pity about the lack of flexibility with placement of VST3s on the hard drive. I understand the idea about usage of ‘collections’, but I wish there was a non-software (less unnecessary clicks!) way to avoid pre-assigned classification of plugins by developers. I hope Steinberg had its valid reasons when giving vendors that much control over their plugins…