Cubase questions from a Logic user

Thanks, but that doesn’t work here. Do you mean that in order to get horizontal zoom, one needs to use the key command for vertical zoom, + shift? That doesn’t work either.

And since you mention H and G - how do I find out what is assigned to H and G? I also wonder why I can’t simply search for “horizontally” and see which key command I need to use (this works if I search for vertically in the key command window)?

Hi try this → Cubase 7 Keyboard Shortcuts

You can practise it if you like :mrgreen:

Also look for the shortcut definitions in your menu, it could be that the standard shortcuts are modified somehow.

and this one: Using Key Commands In Cubase 8 - YouTube

Thanks, I had a look, and this explains it: Zoom Horizontal In is called Zoom In. It’s good to know that I can change it to what I use in Logic.

I have a long list over stuff I like more in Cubase, but it’s easier to find and reassign key commands in Logic.

Two more questions…

I’m trying to use QuickControls in the Inspector, but when I enable the Learn function, it doesn’t see my incoming fader movements. I wonder what I need to to to fix this?

Also: I’ve spent 10 minutes trying to find out how I set up a send (which I can use to send the signal from an instrument channel into a reverb), with no success. Advice would be highly appreciated!

It doesn’t Learn your incoming MIDI (that is done in the Devices menu). It Learns the knob/fader/switch that you move, of the currently-selected Plugin/Instrument. The MIDI controller that you had set up for that particular slot now controls that plug-in GUI element.
As regards the Send question, if you are using an Instrument Track, then it is simply done from the “Audio Send” tab in the Instrument track’s Inspector.
If you are using a Rack Instrument, then it is done from the audio return tracks of the instrument, not the MIDI track.

Thanks, I’ll look at that. I don’t even know what a rack instrument is, and searching for rack instrument in the manual yielded 194 results. A lot to learn…

VST Instruments can set up in Cubase in two different ways… either as a) Instrument Tracks (which was in fact the later addition), where the track inputs MIDI, and outputs audio from the Instrument, or as b) “Rack Instruments”… In the Devices menu, you can open the VST Instruments “Rack”, where you can load a VST Instrument into one of its slots, then access this “Rack Instrument” from a “regular” MIDI track (thus, a MIDI track can be routed to either a VST Instrument in the Rack, or to an external MIDI port). In this case, the MIDI track does not actually handle the audio of the Instrument, which, instead, appears as Instrument audio return channels in the Mixer (and these are the channels where you can add a “Send”).
But don’t let that stop you from continuing to read :wink:.

Thanks, vic_france!

And now, the maybe final question: is there a simple tutorial somewhere which explains the best way to set up expression maps? I have read the 15 pages in the manual about Expression Maps, but there a re many new concepts to deal with (groups, slots etc), and I generally prefer “how to” explanations which are centered around “how can I do this in *******?”, because while manuals may contain complete and correct info about what each of the functions do, they rarely explain what the best way to get a certain task done is. What I want to do is to set up an Expression Map solution which I can use to switch articulations with all my string library sounds.

Quite a big question! :slight_smile:
(i’m just going out for the afternoon, so no time to really reply right now… but, in the meantime, do a Search in these Forums (including for Cubase 7)… I did write quite a comprehensive reply a while ago :wink: (not that I hold the monopoly on answers! :stuck_out_tongue: )

Is this the thread/answer you were thinking of, vic_france?

(good job I wasn’t holding my breath, waiting for you to reply! :stuck_out_tongue: )
Well, that post seems to deal more specifically with dealing (or not :wink: ) with multiple simultaneous trigger keys, but there is also (somewhere) a more general “basic” description of how the Expression Maps work… Sorry, can’t search for it myself right now (but you don’t seem to be in too much of a hurry anyways :wink: )

Not in a hurry, true. :slight_smile: But I just bought Cubase, so now I need to find this out. I just want a method which allows me to control libraries like Berlin Strings, Cinematic Studio Strings, Spitfire stuff etc without having to set things up manually in each project. I’ll search around!

At least, once you have gotten an Expression Map that works to your liking, you can Save it, then just reload it into the appropriate track of your next project :wink:.