Cubase Record Button is Disabled - Help!!!

Hi everyone,
I’m hoping someone here can help.

Yesterday I booted my PC and started Cubase 9.5 (same routine I follow each day), and just loaded up a project I’ve been working on for a few days, and have found that the Record button on Transport no longer works!!
Its a bit weird as clicking on the Record button firstly illuminates the button red (as it should), but then immediately goes back to its normal state, and the Play button stays green whilst Cubase plays from the project cursor. I have tried this with just 1 MIDI track with Record Enabled, and then each of the other tracks. The same thing happens.

The project has around 18 VST instruments loaded, with around 20 MIDI tracks, no audio tracks, nothing else.
So having wasted all of yesterday trying to figure out what is preventing Cubase from Recording, I’ve no other option than to reach out for help.
I had a mix engineer and another composer looking at this issue yesterday, but neither have come across this issue before. Is it a bug?
We also loaded the exact same project in to Nuendo 8 - and the same problem.

The only way I’ve found to fix this is to close the project and create a new one (another 2 hours lost). But upon closing down the PC and re-botting then reloading Cubase or Nuendo, then exactly the same issue as above. Record no longer work.

I have all VST instruments Sending to 9 group busses, which then onward forward to Front buss, Rear buss and LFE buss which then onward Send to the outputs on my Steinberg UR824.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or, can offer any ideas as to how to resolve it?

For info: I’m running Cubase 9.5 and Nuendo 8.1, on a Windows10 PC with dual-CPU with 128GB DDR4 and 2TB SSD (1.2TB is free).

Many thanks for any help,
Jonathan

Hi,

Make sure, no Punch Out is set.

You can create a new project, and import data from the old one.