Cubase Refuses to Open

System:
Mac OSX High Sierra (10.13.3)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB graphics card

Cubase Version: Cubase 9.5.21 Pro (March 2 2018 build)

After recently installing AAS’s Lounge Lizard 4 plugin, which Cubase 9.5 Pro blacklisted, and then reactivating the Lounge Lizard 4 from the blacklist, Cubase refuses to start. I noticed Cubase crashes at startup at the point where it attempts to initialize the VST 2.x Plug-In Manager.

Tried the following:

• ‘Safe started’ Cubase

• Removed the Lounge Lizard 4 plugin from the VST folder (/Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST; rebooted system; restarted Cubase

• Deleted /Users//Library/Preferences/Cubase 9.5/Vst2xPlugin Blacklist Cubase.xml; rebooted system; restarted Cubase

Unfortunately, the problem persists; I am unable to open Cubase 9.5 Pro.

Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

Hi,

Could you attach a *.crash file located in the macOS Console utility, User Reports folder, please?

Yes, thank you. Please find a ‘.crash’ file attached. I appreciate your feedback.
Cubase 9.5_2019-01-20-150616_Anthonys-MacBook-Pro.crash (78.9 KB)

Hi,

Repotred to Steinberg.

While waiting for a response from Steinberg, can you present an alternative to work around this problem? I am considering a Cubase 9.5 Pro reinstall but am hesitant to do so. I read about the reinstall process on Steinberg’s website, and I am a bit antsy about going through with this option on account of e-licensing. I have an eLicenser ‘stick’, and my Steinberg account shows my “USB-eLicenser” key code. However, from what I read, it appears a reinstall requires a new auto-generated eLicenser key code, and I do not want to risk any reactivation conflicts in the event my current eLicense somehow interferes with the reactivation process.

Can you recommend an alternative or perhaps explain the process of reinstallation & reactivation more clearly, assuming you advocate a reinstall?

Thank you.

Hi,

No, reinstallation doesn’t affect the license. You don’t need a new code. New code (reactivation) is needed only if:

• You are using Soft-eLicenser (in your case you are using USB-eLicenser) AND
  • You change the system (so a new Soft-eLicenser Number is generated).

So yes, you can try to reinstall Cubase.

You can also try Cubase Safe Start Mode or trash Cubase Preferences.

Hi aspa,

• Quit Cubase.
  • Delete the Vst2xPlugin Whitelist Cubase (from the cubase preferences folder, it’s only there when you reactivated a blacklisted plugin).
  • Start Cubase
    => The plugin will be scanned again by the Pluginscanner and blacklisted.