Cubase request - show asterisks (*) next to title bar project name when edited from saved state

It would be nice to see a * next to the project name to know when edits have been made from its saved state.

eg.
Saved State:
ProjectName

Edited state:
ProjectName*

Something simple but it would help me, and perhaps others too.

2 Likes

Please :slight_smile:

It would be a visual cue to reassure us that our Save got registered!

Sometimes ctrl+S may not work if you’re not focused in the right window, etc.

Never thought about this, but now you say it that would be a great addition! Some plugins do that with their presets, so why not with the project.

Instead of the asterisk (or in addition to), I would personally prefer having a better visual clue, like an icon somewhere in the project window that turns orange when unsaved edits have been made, and green when we just saved it, with the last time it has been saved displayed next to it ( and updated when we save).

Example :

1. Save the project at 10:05 → icon becomes green and displays 10:05
  2. Start making edits during 20 minutes → icon becomes orange, keeps displaying 10:05
  3. Save the project → icon becomes green, last saved time updates to 10:25

Great idea!

And while we’re at it, it would be cool to have automatic versioning of saves, for example, keep the last (configurable) N number of saved files (perhaps by appending a date/time stamp) in case you want to go back to a previous version.

I currently do this manually by occasionally copying the CPR file to a different directory to have a history of key milestones of my project, in case I ever want to go back or need to pull something that I ended up deleting (but shouldn’t have). That has come in very handy several times already.

2 Likes

great idea

I like the way you described it and would be very pleased (and surprised) if Steinberg implemented it that way.