Cubase review By Ricky Monila, very accurate

i think the design of knobs in the mixer, mixer, and all the lines enclosing other lines in the mixer and other gui objects designs like buttons etc

Dude couldn’t even figure out how to use Control Room and get the media bay working, not exactly a professional comparison. Studio One is good for a lot of things, not gonna try to score a film with a 2000 track template though. Cubase is king in that regard.

I know that I typically come to the forums when I have a problem however I’d like to send some love to Cubase 10.

I took advantage of the 50% off sale (thanks Steinberg) to download and install the upgrade from C9.5. I have been a Cubase user since it was released on the Atari (1980’s).

I must say that this was a flawless upgrade. All my VSTi instruments and Plugins were found (the paths obviously automatically copied from C9.5). My custom keyboard shortcuts and preferences were auto-ported over as well. I can’t believe it. It boots faster and has not once crashed upon closing. Good job Steinberg. Many thanks.

Regarding performance issues I think it mostly comes down to Steinbergs inability to solve performance issues proprietary to the Mac OS.
Where as it seems Logic Pro and Studio One have sorted it out properly.

Is there reputable listing of the issues on OS X? I am on OS X and both 9.5 and 10 worked fine on my setup and my VSTs? The reason I ask is, I am slowing preping to upgrade and need to decide if I want to move to a Windows based setup. I hear Cubase was designed for Windows and is supposed to run better on Windows. If thats the case, them might as well switch as I am sure I will find a better deal on Intel based hardware on Windows platform.

• I am on Windows for work and other personal computers but stick to Mac for music. I find Windows 10 a big bloat of a useless biatch platform. So many running services using up resources in background for that new fancy GUI.

It’s a long time gripe by many.

I have recently tested Cubase on fresh installs of osx as far back as Mavericks on my iMac. Mavericks performs almost as good as Windows 7 and 8.1 but all OS since takes a hit. The GUI just has a lag under stress and it’s annoying.

I just demoed Studio One on el Capitan, Sierra and High Sierra and its stellar. The GUI holds up great under stress. And of course Logic Pro is excellent.

I wish Steinberg would do better in this dept.

I, too, was not very impressed with his presentation, and my first thought was also ‘learn your DAW.’

My current main DAW is Logic, and I am quite comfortable with it. So far, with Cubase, I’ve managed to set up a template that is close to my Logic template, which is designed toward both getting ideas down quickly, and taking those ideas to finished songs. Cubase navigation is a bit clunkier for me at this point, but I am sure that, with some effort, I can minimize any workflow issues.
Can’t speak to S1, tried a demo a few years ago and it struck me as still having a ways to go with fx and midi.

This test was eye-opening when it comes to Mac performance of various DAWs running the same project:

Cubase did not fair well in that particular test, on that particular Mac, at all. I didn’t realize Cubase had CPU issues on Mac, though it seems like common knowledge to some (I’m still relatively new here). On the other hand, just about any time I hear of crazy instability in Studio One, it’s usually on Mac. So funny that one runs more efficiently and is buggy, and the other is stable but uses a lot more CPU. That said, if these results aren’t atypical, Steinberg should really dig into what’s going on with CPU utilization on the Mac. Aggressive CPU improvements on both Mac and Win would be much appreciated by both user bases.

Thanks. Yeah,I saw that link a few days ago. I wasn’t sure its reputable. Sounds like I may want to move to a Windows based platform for a mobile setup. Which is fine. I just really hate the Windows 10 GUI and all the crawling services and bloatware in background. But whatever… Its unfortunate as I feel my current Mac Mini setup has been rock solid for a very long time. I was using LE 8 thru 9.5 without issues. I just recently decided to up my game a bit and took advantage of the Pro 10 deal.

Running Cubase on a very stable :pray:t2: speedy Mojave (latest) Hackintosh with Apollo X6 thru thunderbolt… But you need time and patience to get everything right. I found it not that complicated. If it fails Windows is always an option?

The first PRO on that list is that the “Sound Engine” ‘sounds’ great - wtf is that about?! lol It does 1+1=2 better?! haha.

Most of his points are just absolute mis-use of the software.

Wrong: that’s such a recent history re. DAWs. both Logic and Digital Performer have been doing the docking thing for donkey’s years.

Even further back to the late 80s: Gerhard Lengling & Chris Adams did Emagic ‘Creator’ & set the standard for real time performance (& copy protection for that matter); Charlie Stenberg did ‘Pro 24’, but then ‘Cubase’ for Atari ST in 1989 and which set the modern UI standard, ie: time across the top, tracks down the side, tape-styled transport bar & arrange page with blocks representing musical parts, tools menu with cut, erase, pencil etc. Emagic ‘Creator’ later followed suit and became ‘Logic’, and then most other DAWs took on that same look and feel we take for granted today. The only UI other innovation has been Ableton’s ‘Live’ approach (but actually, is highly reminiscent of Emagic’s ‘Creator’).

Much owed to Charile here, not to mention the ASIO and VST innovations that also were adopted world wide. The younger team member in Studio One did a nice job in his earlier PhD in terms of developing a particular audio engine, but there’s nothing really new here except for the advantage to develop new code from scratch, and with the help of an older, experienced ex-Steinberg programmer.

Docked Tabs have been in video/photo editing software for even longer probably

You clearly don’t understand how audio engines work.

It’s basic summing (1+1=2) the goal is to achieve absolute transparency, so yes i do understand. Only DAWs that are designed to specifically apply character and emulate analog desks (i.e. Harrison Mixbus) will show a difference as additional saturation is applied between channels.
Load multiple tracks of audio into any major DAW and render it out and they’ll all phase each other out to a null if you don’t believe me. They act this way to allow universal plugin support and let you shape the sound how you please.

For your reference:
https://www.image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/app_audio.htm

Here is my response comment. Posted on Rick’s channel.

I’m a long time Cubase user. I wear the following hats: Composer, arranger, songwriter, mixing and mastering engineer. I’m also an accomplished musician. Have had quite a few of my songs on the charts - using Cubase. I am also VERY familiar with Studio 1, Reaper, Pro Tools, Reason, Digital Performer and Logic. Cubase is, objectively speaking, the best and most well rounded DAW, therefore my software of choice.

Rick, you need to do your homework, bro. If you buy a piece of software you need to invest some time into learning the programme. All this crap about not reading the manuals or watching the videos… Do the background work: set up your templates, workspaces, customize your shortcuts etc. and then once it’s configured to your specific tastes and workflow, you’ll enjoy speedy and stress free creativity. It’s sad to see a grown man b.i.t.ching like the current crop of lazyass, brain dead kids who except instant gratification without putting in the work. Not a good example bro. You seem to be old enough to know better.

Cubase Pro 10 is expensive for a reason. It has lots of options and possibilities and the reason there are customizing options is because everybody has different tastes and priorities. With Cubase 10, I’m doing all the drag and dropping you’re complaining about: icon selecting works just fine, auditioning loops and samples - no prob, and I can scratch out a fairly complex track in 10 minutes. Stick with the stuff you know bro - that’s fine. But this review thing you’re doing is very misleading and not really honestly informative. I’m a Cubase user and I love the programme though I’m really not very happy with Team Steinberg. There are things like the drum map, and expression maps which are a dream in Cubase which I find clunky in Studio One as well, but I’m sure a Studio One user, who is comfortable with his/her workflow will have no issues. If you want to do a more objective review, then take your advice for real. Go talk with some people who are a having a really cool time with this great DAW and let them tell you what they consider the pros and cons.

Everyone who watches me work is amazed how quickly I can go from nothing to a real nice sounding arrangement in minutes. Guys do not let this “review” comparison test sway you. I think Rick has good intentions, but he is really not in a position to critique the programme. I have about 50 friends, using Cubase who would thoroughly disagree with him. Cubase is really an extremely awesome, capable, super-fast programme to work with. Has all the bells and whistles. You just have to spend the time to understand the software you spent hard-earned money on. Learn your programme, customize to taste, define your workflow and you’ll be rewarded. As I am. Every single day. Rick you are invited to hit me up and I’ll spend a free hour showing you why I think your assessment is totally wrong. Have a great day, cheers.

I have been with cubase for three weeks only and some of the things that he finds so difficult are very east for me, e.g finding the control room or audition of the loops

I feel Ricky is getting more publicity than the quality of his review deserves.

Then how come in different daws, time-stretching sounds different ?

+1