Cubase score editor - defunct?!

ps on a side note, do people actually play this kind of music? Just looking at the score gives me vertigo …

Lots… e.g the swede Fredrik Ullén. Btw this example :/is pretty simple Sorabji…

Daniel,

That graphic in some places looks INCREDIBLY good!!! And I am very excited for the release!

However, there are a few spots that look very wonky and I am not sure if it is my machine, or part of the graphic file, or parts of both. A few times, a down stem note head seems to be in an odd position relative to the down stem. The first instance of this that I see is in the left hand, 1st bar, last triplet, middle note. The stem seems too far to the right, or the note head seems too far to the left. We are talking minor distances, but enough to make it noticeable. The note to the left and to the right, appear correct. Is this just my machine? Or is that an error in the graphic? That sort of displacement occurs a few times. It seems to be sporadic, so I am assuming that it is an issue with the graphic file.

Robby

Wow - I didn’t think this was for real. Quite impressive.

Daniel,

I quite agree this is impressive. The mere fact that Dorico will render an xml of such relative complexity without stumbing is really encouraging. I’m not at all underestimating it, but based on my reading so far, I’ve learned to be reasonable in my expectations. Also, your example may indicate that Dorico has. in certain areas, developed beyond what has been previously communicated…

When I mentioned Sorabji, I didn’t primarily have the complexity of the musical text itself in mind, but rather e.g. how to accommodate his highly personal solution for notating ottava (both spacing and playback wise) and also the need for the varying number of staves in his more extreme polyphonic excursions.

Yes, there is a spacing bug that we intend to fix as soon as we can that can produce clashes between accidentals and the preceding notes in complex tuplet rhythms. In general Dorico does a really good job of avoiding those kinds of collisions, as you can see with the rest of the page, but there’s a little problem in there that we need to iron out.

I made that graphic simply by zooming out in Dorico and using Shift-Command-4 to grab the screen, so even though I have a Retina display on my Mac, you’re dealing with a relatively low-resolution image there. So yes, stem connections with noteheads are less accurate. If you zoom in, things look much better, and likewise if you export a PNG file at 300dpi or higher, you’ll see everything lines up perfectly. PDF and SVG export also reproduces the graphics perfectly as well.

Are the hairpins a default setting? Behind Bars p.103 states “The open ends of complementary hairpins should match in width…”

Yes, those hairpins are the defaults, and aside from the very short hairpin in the first bar, the apertures do match for all of them.

Désir éperdu. Quite the title. One imagines Lang Lang wildly gesticulating in the throes of despair.

Ok, I’ll be seeing my optometrist soon…

Actually, I’ve found Sibelius perfectly reasonable for editing Sorabji’s scores, even much more complicated ones than Désir Éperdu (for which I did the edition available from the Sorabji Archive) - I’ve now done something like 500pp. of his scores, mostly for piano solo. Not so many adjustments are needed in Sibelius 7.1, but there are still a handful of issues that need some manual intervention. Nevertheless, the pace of development of Sibelius has slowed, and Dorico seems to be catching up on the more mature products at great pace. While I’ll stick with Sibelius for my current project, which is likely to keep me going for another 18 months at least, there are a couple of my early editions with scope for improvement, and for which I’d intended to update my editions - I’ll certainly be getting Dorico at an early stage (if I hadn’t been so busy, I’d have signed up as a beta tester!), and look forward to investigating its capabilities early, trying out the MusicXML export/import on some other scores, some more complicated. I’m expecting pretty good results, based on what I’ve seen so far! Good luck to all in the Dorico team.

Mine too

:smiley:

More of an issue for Cubase rather than Dorico, but when they do get around to looking at integration, it would be so useful to be able to switch the part display in the Cubase project window between Score notation and the Piano Roll display, giving users the choice between which they would rather see first. The Piano Roll display would be useful for quantisation and note length, the Score notation for almost everything else. Essentially, it would involve pulling the Cubase Score module out of the sideline it’s currently occupying and placing it right at the heart of the action.

Maybe that could be a good selling point for Dorico, such integration is only possible if you have Dorico installed…