Cubase setup for master clock

Hello guys,

How do I set up a master clock to work properly with Cubase?
This is a steep investment so I want to design the system first in order to avoid compatibility or playback precision issues.

I would like to control transport via Cubase, but use the sync signal from a master clock separate from the AD/DA converters. In other words, the ASIO Driver in VST Audio System would control a device that is not the sync master device. I’ve never done this, so I don’t know if Cubase needs to be set up as a sync slave. However, the manual doesn’t say anything about it.

What menu options do I have to tinker within Cubase to get the Machine-Control-Master transport signal from Cubase to the master clock? How Do I get the wordclock signal back into Cubase to make it function as a sync slave?

The modular system I’m designing includes:

1. Cubase for playback/mixing
  2. AD/DA converters: Lynx Aurora 24TB
  3. Master Clock: not sure which, depending on the result of this research, maybe a Mutec. I don’t know.

So far, the little experience I have with clock signals leads me to believe that no configuration is necessary within Cubase. I would just:

1. Connect wordclock output cables from the master clock to the converters.
  2. Connect a wordclock cable from the output of the ADC to the input of the master clock. This would carry the machine control signal from Cubase to the master clock, I suppose.
  3. Setup the master clock as a master sync device, and the Converters as sync slaves.
  4. Setup within Cubase: (I don’t know, maybe nothing is necessary? :unamused: )

However, the “Syncronization” section of the manual talks about “External Sync”, so I’m confused. Is the “Project Sync Setup” dialogue only to be used when working with video?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Hi,

In the Project Synchronization Setup window, Source tab, select the source of your click. If other than Internal Timecode is selected, Activate External Sync becomes enabled. In the Destinations set the destinations, where do you want to send MIDI Clock or MIDI Timecode to.

Thanks Martin,

I also thought the Project Sync Setup dialogue was relevant, but isn’t “timecode sync” related to video?

I’m not synchronizing anything video here. Just a master clock and a few other digital devices via wordclock.

How would I send MIDI clock through a Wordclock output?

Timecode sync is related to timecode / transport sync. If that comes in via video or something else doesnˋt matter.
To sync your A/D D/A converter to an external Master sample clock, the settings have to be made in your converter, not Cubase.
Transport control does not have to do anything with the sample clock.

Not familiar with Aurora, but normally your computer/DAW can receive the digital sync (reclocked) via the ThunderBolt cable.

Reclocking. Computer transport protocols (FireWire, USB, Thunderbolt™) don’t use an embedded clock for timing; instead, they use a process called reclocking, in which the audio stream is divided into packets of data that are transmitted sequentially. The receiving device buffers the signal, reassembles the sample stream, and then sends the audio signal from the buffer at the appropriate time, as determined by the device’s sample rate. This ensures accurate timing when going from an audio interface to a computer and back.

You should see an error message in Cubase if your project has different sample rate than your converter/audio interface.

Thank you guys!

Yes I think that audio sync doesn’t require any configurations within Cubase