Cubase SX3: mysterious reverb sinking the audio bounced mix

hello everyone

sorry to do my first post only since i need help, but…
something really weird is happening on my pc since a week or two…
first premise: i use Cubase since the Atari days…so even if im not a pro, i know hopefully a thing or two about sequencing…
second premise: my pc is about dying , system config problems, main HD with several damaged sectors and such amenities, so IM AWARE the it 's already a nightmare to work like that…like stutters every 2 measures averagely, hits on the CPU performance all of a sudden and such…plus my Delta 66 seems to have gone nuts with Cubase in particular (sometimes i load Reaper or Live Lite and the problems are there but DEFINITELY not such present as in cubase, although im aware the things made in cubase on the arrangements are quite heavy…this long premise just to state that i m aware im not in good machine condition to work.,…
but…i have no money to change HD or directly change pc in short time (as it s gettin a lil old) , so i thought “hey WTF? regardless of that (stutters crashes and the rest) i feel like doing music in these holidays after almost a year i didnt have the time, so hey, im gonna download the rekkerd rmx samples and give a go to the competion”
well, regardless of all the problems on the machine i managed to develop a decent track (IMO) with the rmx samples, used a lot of plugins , diligently bouncin the audio to avoid complicating pc’s cpu life, and so on…
i was prettty happy with that one week ago, so i decided , even if the arrangement wasnt finished, to mixdown on wav and mp3 to have a listen on different PAs…
well , nightmare then happened…evrytime i bounce a mixdown on audio file, it s gets loaded with a mysterious REVERB on all the mixdown…
before someone advice that: after that i also tried exportin both the drum group only and the drums on the stereoout…same result , everything sinkin in a lot reverb…i even switched off EVERY reverb on the drums sounds channels (insert ) and i HAVE NO SEND INVOLVED…so definitely NO REVERB was set on ANY sound while trying the last attempts…proof is reverb is on the damn kick too , and i would bet my nuts i think i NEVER ever put a reverb on a kick in my life…
so im gonna give up the track, i wished my pc an horrible death, and i switched off cubase before gettin a nervous breakdown…still , i dont have ANY idea of what was happening…seems i m not the only one having such problems, judgin by some rare posts i found around in forums, but AFAIK noone ever told clearly WHY IT HAPPENS…
sorry for the long post…
i mean, i could understand , with my pc problems, a long list of troubleshooting problems on my mixdown, such as distortion , desync-ed track on exports, anything weird in that line of weirdness…but A REVERB???
anyone can enlighten me please, if he has idea of wahts goin on? i even reinstalled drivers for my soundcard, but hell is still here inside my machine it seems :frowning:
hell , if i had the DAT machine still working id even bounce the 2 versions (the one with cubase playin live onto DAT , and the other with the audio mixdown insidethemachine) just to prove that im not hallucinating!!

CoreDuo e6600 2 GIGA RAM
Asus mobo
M-Audio Delta 66
windows XP Pro SP2

in case anyone is curious about the pc features…

nice start of the year id say
peace

update: i can confirm its not project related…i tried the audiobounce of the drums section of another track, same results …drumz sinking in a sort of long hall reverb…
now WTF?

Couldn’t get through the first two sentences of your post. Want to condense it to a specific question? Reads like a giant whine as is.

its a detailed rant, but still has a defined request for gettin anyone having ideas about why it does happen…
even only reading the thread title you can get what s happening…i added the further details exactly to avoid smart ass comments like “hey, did you check if you put a reverb on the insert slot of the main out” or similar ones…

condensed: all of a sudden it happens my cubase outputs the mixdown with a huge reverb on EVERYTHING on the mixdown, only tho wehn bouncing audio…while playin realtime (even with all my pc’s problems) it doesnt sound like this at all…then i bounce audio and the nightmare begins while listening the file…
further details can be read on the first post.

And what do you use for listening to the mixdown? Cubase?

the file of the mixdown its been played through winamp, wmp and sound forge…same hallucinated reverbed results…

edit BTW …the cubase project is set at 16 bit 44k and same goes for the mixdown files…

And what soundcard do those programs use? onboard, or the one that is used by Cubase.?

same one: Delta 66, same outputs (1/2)…but still, its on the file…it will play reverbed even outside the pc,
anyway …dont want to stress anyone…i already gave up, but i would be curious to know the reason of such surreal situation, if someone had similar experiences…
i just even tried even a nonsense attempt with ASIO4all but it wasnt working, so quickly uninstalled it and went back to Delta 66 drivers
thx for the replies anyway

I’m thinking some kind of feedback loop, but as to where or how???

@ Split, i thought about that, and deactived even the inputs in the several attempts…

i start thinking about calling an exorcist :smiling_imp:

lol i bet he’s an expert on such DAW problems

He’s the Vatican’s main man for exorcisms :sunglasses:

If I were you, I’d reformat the machine do a fresh install of the OS and start from scratch.

yeah thats what already i was thinking of, since ages…i avoided doing it during holidays to avoid wastin time on having some eventual problem on the pc and not being able, not only to do music, but even to take a look at a movie or listen to stuff, so i thought that no matter what the condition the pc was , i would have spent some time on cubase after ages i couldnt…well my usual luck tells me i was wrong i guess…
what scares me tho, is : what if it s some weird hd failure? like RAM, or whatever, going nuts, and i m not aware of that?
i mean, i really hope to format and reconfig OS and then USE the machine WITHOUT such problems…thats also my main reason to ask around about the cause…
instinct kinda tells me could be sth related to card drivers…but who knows? not me for sure :stuck_out_tongue:

thx everyone anyway

I would think that HD or RAM problems will happen whenever they want to happen and would be fairly obvious.
You could always download and run some tests if you’re paranoid.

Your harddrive would be worth lots of money if it automatically applied reverd to exported mixes :sunglasses: