Cubase to Logic?

My band is going to use Logic on a Mac at gigs, to provide an accompanying track to some of our songs. We’ll have a basic drum track to act as a click track for our drummer to play to (i.e. only he will hear it), plus some extra tracks to fill out the songs (i.e. all of us and the audience will hear these).

However, I’m a Cubase user. I say I should be able to create these drum and instrument MIDI tracks on my Cubase then export them for import to my colleague’s Logic.

I accept we’ll then probably have to work on the drum map, and pick suitable sounds for the other tracks, but the principle of sharing MIDI files should be sound…that’s what they’re about right?

My Logic owning colleague isn’t convinced, although I suspect part of his reticence is because he finds Logic really hard to work with.

What are your thoughts?

Should be totally possible :wink:
However, if your colleague is worried, how about bouncing all the Cubase instrument tracks to audio first (portable disc space permitting, of course), then just using audio tracks in Logic… maybe with Logic’s own FX?

I did consider using an audio mixdown but I think we’d rather have the flexibility of MIDI files.

Agree MIDI is a basic std - all DAWs can read them… this however is half the story…isn’t it?

For the audience and yourselves to hear them you need to play through an instrument of sorts? If these are VST - are they Cubase centric or Logic centric…? This could be a BIG or small factor in your sound…

Agree MIDI is a basic std - all DAWs can read them… this however is half the story…isn’t it?

For the audience and yourselves to hear them you need to play through an instrument of sorts? If these are VST - are they Cubase centric or Logic centric…? This could be a BIG or small factor in your sound…

Thanks. The instrument in question will be the Mac. Our possibly triggering the Korg keyboard.