Cubase Triggering my Keyboard

How do I get Cubase to trigger my Triton so that each separate audio track (coming from my song in the Triton keyboard) is recorded in synch with the Cubase clock?

LET ME EXPLAIN:
I have hundreds of songs that I have created completely within my Korg Triton - usually each song is about 12 separate tracks. I’d like to use Cubase to edit those songs and to have each of the 12 tracks of audio recorded into Cubase separately.

In my ProTools days I would create an audio track, have the software trigger my keyboard (via midi-out from my interface going to the midi-in of my Triton), the software would record one solo track. I would repeat this process for all 12 tracks.

I am running Cubase Elements with the Tascam US-2x2. I have Midi out of the Tascam going to the Midi-in of the Triton so that Cubase can trigger the Triton. I have no need for the midi information to be recorded.

The reason I MUST/NEED to do it this way is so that all 12 tracks are easily synched together. If the software isn’t triggering the first bar, then I have to manually get all 12 tracks to match on the first bar. That is a lot of manual work and VERY annoying as many tracks do not begin on the first bar and even those that do start on the 1, it is very hard to align all the tracks exactly exactly exactly on the 1. Very annoying :frowning:

So again, how do I get Cubase to trigger my Triton so that each separate audio track (coming from my song in the Triton keyboard) is recorded in synch with the Cubase clock?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!!

Hi,

I would recommend you to export the MIDI file from Korg Triton. Load this MIDI file to Cubase. Trigger the playback (of MIDI) and recording (of Audio) directly from Cubase.

I see. Thanks Martin!

I didn’t do it this route when using ProTools but I’m willing to give it a try.

1. Do you recommend this method because it is a better route or because its the only solution you can see for this?
  2. Can I record the Midi for all 10+ tracks at once, or it needs to be done separately?
  3. The audio recording will be one track at a time, correct?
  4. Any tutorials on how to get each midi track in Cubase to “connect” with the proper track on the keyboard? (I have searched on youtube and am coming up with a whole lot of mess)

Thanks again.

Hi,

1. Because I think it’s the best solution. In this case your Audio is always totally synced with the MIDI data, so you can exchange it later, if you need to.

2. if you want to mix it properly on the Audio level, you have to record it one by one.

3. Yes

4. It will be done automatically thanks the MIDI Channels.

Ok. So i need to record the midi info in, one at a time. Still how do i get the Cubase recording to trigger the start of the playing of the song so that I can have all the midi info lining up easily on the “1”?

I’m quite surprised how unintuitive this is? People must not make songs on their keyboards anymore :slight_smile:

Hi,

It’s as simple, as it could be. You always put your Playback cursor to the beginning, and hit Record. The Playback + Record starts in sync.

I’m getting nothing :frowning:

Do i need to have something in my Triton set so that it will be triggered?

I have my midi in and out cables connected (in to out // out to in). I hit play on the keyboard and I see the midi track receiving a signal.

Do you hit Play on your computer Keyboard? In Cubase?

How is your MIDI routed exactly?

Is the Line Out of Triton routed back to the Audio Device Input? Do you have an Audio track created?

Do you hit Play on your computer Keyboard? In Cubase?
In Cubase i hit play and it does not trigger the keyboard. When i hit play on the keyboard i hear my songs play via my interface headphones and i see my cubase midi track jumping. I do NOT see audio jumping in my created audio track which is set to receive left input - which is what i have my audio cable going into from my keyboard out.

How is your MIDI routed exactly?
I have the midi out of they keyboard connected to the midi-in of my interface.
I have the midi in of they keyboard connected to the midi-out of my interface.

Is the Line Out of Triton routed back to the Audio Device Input? Do you have an Audio track created?
Yes and yes.

In Cubase, do you have the output of the MIDI tracks routed to your interface?