Cubase Update Stick And Carrot Game

keep paying…keep waiting… deplorable business model

“You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.” - Abraham Lincoln

Sadly, this is the business model for most software companies now…great menu, crappy food. Therefore, I think the following quote is more fitting:

A fool and his money are soon parted

Just one more reason why a subscription model is sensible. It gets rid of all the hype and nonsense related to new releases. Developers remain employed and can be allocated to useful activities such as bug fixes rather than be constantly bombarded with new features from sales and marketing used to sell the new release to maintain cash flow.

Cubase 7 was an awesome release, for MIDI programmers at least.

Cubase 8 after a few updates should be in the same category, which is when I will buy it (once the price drops :wink:).

NO

Nothing if not concise

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to buy it. Simple as that. Stop complaining and threatening to leave and just leave. I don’t mean this from a standpoint that I want you to leave. I mean it from the standpoint that you speak with your wallet. If enough people don’t buy, then that causes change. But, if the product makes you unhappy, clearly you need to find a product that works for you.

As has been pointed out, the carrot on the stick game is not just for Cubase. But that’s fine and all, as has also been said, you don’t have to buy it. What I had mentioned in the “Cubase 8 sucks thread” is that, I have a problem with the devious Planned Obsolescence Game, and Microsoft takes the cake on that one.

I understand the carrot on the stick, and don’t blame any company for trying to make a quick buck, but they should ‘make it right’ by fulfilling a promise of a completed product for the operating system it was developed for, so the user of that version can ‘truly’ have a choice to stay with it…rather than the game of obsolescence.

The buyer is not without blame either. I have learned this long ago, and I have stopped buying & upgrading…well for the most part anyway, but it has to work on the computer and operating system I use as I’m too far behind for most of the newer stuff that comes out…ok by me because I have most everything I need already.

Come clean, do you own C8 or not?

@ cpechet1

What makes you think that the software would be more reliable in a subscription model anyway, that’s not a guarantee that devs are going to have more time for maintenance. You need to market just as heavily to attract subscribers, perhaps even harder, given the unpopularity of the model thus far.

For me, the perpetual license is fine. If I choose to stop updating, I can go on using the software as long as my hardware and my OS supports it. Which could be a very long time. Many of my friends are still back on SX3 or even earlier, and are quite content.

Subscription: No thanks.
I like carrots now and then. :laughing:

Oh, and by the way… Steinberg - Subscription - #36 by curteye - Steinberg Lounge - Steinberg Forums

I’m right with you. And Steinberg did reply too :slight_smile:

Side note: I had a few free-range carrots the other night for dinner. Big suckahs. Dipped in tahini then down the the hatch. Filled me up for only about an hour though!

You market to your existing 1mm+ users and offer them stability/reliability/bug fixes. Not so complicated.

What? Are we on the same thread?

As far as I know…the newer OS’s, Cubase versions, and other software, have been transitioning from a concept of you ‘buying’ a product and then it’s ‘yours’, to you just paying for ‘permission’ to use it. In addition, a transition to being able to never having the internet connected to your music DAW computer, to ‘forcing’ an internet connection to your music machine. I personally see this as a dubious move, and I wouldn’t doubt that software companies are going to, nor already ‘have been’ putting spyware within the software for the purpose of peeping in on you for varying reasons… anywhere from making sure you’re using legitimate software & tracking you down by your IP, to monitoring your internet habits, and the software features you use for development purposes.

Now say on a subscription model, where you need to always be connected to the internet, such spying on you, your machine and your habits & features you use makes sense, and is is very reasonable. I much prefer buying your software, plug your hardware dongle in, and you’re ready to go…hopefully without the dongle causing interruptions as has been claimed in the past.

Well do you or not?

I much prefer buying your software, plug your hardware dongle in, and you’re ready to go…hopefully without the dongle causing interruptions as has been claimed in the past.

The eLicenser software allows usage statistics to be sent to SB, you don’t think this would allow “spying” as you claim would be possible with subscription software?

What does it matter anyway, if Adobe, Microsoft or even Steinberg monitor how people use their programs; it’s all under license.

Really, even if my computer isn’t connected to the Internet?

Listen to 8. I couldn’t disagree with most of this board more. The engine has been dramatically improved, so if fidelity, measures into your idea of value, I’d run for the update. 99 dollars for the marked sonic difference is a pittance.

My two cents

Subscription models have been proven to be inadequate in many ways. The same business problem will ultimately remain, which is growth. It will never be enough to have a set group of subscribers, since it will only sustain the same income, which is never enough. Ultimately, the same problem exists for a company, how to get more customers. Hype, empty promises and sloppy products are cheaper to sell.

Anyone can argue all day long and still end up having lost the argument. This is what today’s business climate is like.

Subscription software? Eat my shorts!

What’s it to ya? If I don’t, would I not be “PRO” enough? And if I do, am I going to get a brownie button?

I don’t know for sure about Steinberg, I imagine/assume they do… but I do know Microsoft spy’s on users… I had hooked up an XP DAW build a few months ago to the internet trying to find a video driver, only to be immediately bombarded with plastering pop-up pages of “XP is at the end of it’s life”, “buy a new Microsoft version” & “buy a new computer”, which I spend more time trying to close thos pop-ups than I could looking for a video driver. Luckily I was able to download the driver from my Win 7 machine :unamused:

Use the Windows 8 firewall Control from Sphinx software, if you want to block those requests.

As to ownership of SB products, it is a double edged sword.

For example, as I don’t own it; I cannot advocate the positives, just as advocating negatives in that context is fraught with danger but saying that my personal view is critiquing the Steinberg Business Model, without actually owning any of their products, would potentially be a grave miscalculation.

Sticking my XP music machines on-line is extremely rare, I just did it because I had spent days trying to find that video driver, which turned out unrecognizable via the automatic method.

This ‘business model’ stuff, as far as I know, is just how software companies are these days. I wouldn’t by any means single out Steinberg…nor would I exclude them. I don’t feel I have used ‘whatever’ software to have a good idea of what’s going on. If Microsoft is spying & bombarding with Win XP, they’ve most definitely have moved up to doing much more now. If Steinberg is forcing an internet connection at all, they’re up to ‘something’ for their own purposes & benefits only, not yours… and that ‘something’ will only be stepped up as the product is developed.

This could all be very harmless…and one could relate this to [OT] public security camera systems…claiming their privacy is being invaded, while others will say if you’re doing nothing wrong, there’s nothing to worry about…both of which are true. I’m all for ‘public’ security camera’s, but but there’s a LIMIT to when & where it should be used [OT] :wink:

Back to XP…my mothers computer is on Win XP still, and I had been fighting Microsoft’s nearly criminal nonsense for her. I’ve got it to a point where it seems to have stopped, by doing the ‘usual stuff’, as well as installing an app called “XP Spy” that a friend had gave me…if that really helps, I dunno, but it does seem to shut certain things off in it’s own small window, that I would have otherwise had to work harder at. Hmmm…I wonder if a “Steinberg Spy” application exists…? :laughing: