Cubase Update Stick And Carrot Game

I feel it time XP was consigned to the dustbin of history, personally…

I guess I am the opposite of you, I use Windows 7/8.1 for my DAW(s) and XP on my laptops, I guess because people tend to throw them (laptops) out and when they (Win7/8) crash, I tend not to lose as much data.

Every day you use XP online you are taking a risk, you need to think before doing anything and know the website you are interacting with before browsing. For me, this is an unnacceptable amount of risk, hence I only go to Government websites, Google search, social media and my own personal website.

Obviously from your other posts, you are not a Luddite and I get your point about corporate spam. The Windows store is a conduit for software and “apps” and the Microsoft Account saves settings to the cloud and files if you want them, so it is yet another “double-edged sword”; for features and peace of mind we sell our souls.

The eLicenser technology is no means of collecting data of any kind. It only serves the purpose of licensing.

During normal operation, the eLicenser Control Center is there to check the applications’ licenses when said applications request a license check - without connecting to the internet.

During license download the eLCC checks the Activation Code and USB and/or Soft-eLicenser serial number(s) against the server to authorise the license download only.

During online sync and maintenance, the eLicenser connects to the server to perform six operations which are clearly reported to the user in the advance status panel.

I quite like Cubase 8 and I’m kinda glad I bought it…

Thank you very much for setting the record straight.

Statistics are not automatic, see here:

Also, no personal information “are” is gramatically incorrect :wink:

That file contains information about the transactions with the server - meaning ACs, eLicenser numbers, transactions sequence and eLCC version (plus OS, timestamp, etc.).

Indeed incorrect :astonished:

So…I guess this also means Steinberg doesn’t have the ability to peek at you through your own web cam while you’re in your underwear, scratching yourself :open_mouth: :blush: :mrgreen:

Seriously, if what Fab say’s is true, that’s perfectly fair enough. After all, that’s what the authorization key is for and would never have a problem with that. At least in the old days, you plugged in your dongle, and never even needed an internet connection, EVER… and that’s the way it should always be, IMO.

And, if Steinberg wanted to collect data from it’s users on what features are most often used, average audio/midi track count or ‘whatever’ …they should pay more attention here in the forum, and take periodic polls.

Now as for Microsoft, as I’ve said, I know different!

Weird, i analyzed the I/O from the dongle to my computer. i also scanned the airwaves in my studio picking up every bit of info that gets passed to and from it using highly advanced non public software and self sautered gear bits made using special “need to know” basis plans.
I picked up an instruction set that activated something in cubase. And get this:o → it was triggered OTA ! Yes over the air!
I noticed that this signal came in irregular invervals, but generally approximately twice a month.
The instruction set sent and the effect it had were as follows:
Instruction set: magic sound=1 or, magic sound=0.
The effect was night and day quality audio coming from the masterbus. (Like comparing a 128kbit mp3 to a wav)
The details show that it specifically targets the dongles by their elc number. (You can notice such a command set being received OTA when you are doing nothing and the little red light on the dongle flickers in a 3xflashes, pause, 3xflashes type fashion. ( you would be dang lucky to witness it tho… )
I also noticed that once, while having some stress with cubase in the forum, that the magic sound=0 was sent! (Yeah, i saw that…)
Anyway, as soon we we “cool” again, i noticed the magic sound=1 instruction set was sent.
Now, i couldnt trigger the commands myself through various digital means, it seems to have some otherworldly encryption controlling that…

Well, now we know the truth about the dongle, i demand a permanent magic sound=1 instruction set sent please.

Cubase just sounds so dang good with it on… I always wondered why it sounded crap at times and absolutely godly at others…

And yes, i also discovered the Creativity subset… So, thx for keeping it 1

:slight_smile:

I think I might just start wearing a tinfoil hat in the studio, or perhaps wear a took like Nesmith and line it with foil …( :wink: )
:laughing:

Same here, I’m getting so paranoid my hands shake when authorising new Steinberg products, ‘zey are spying on me…’.

Crikey :wink: !

Cubase 8 update was CHEAP. Pocket money. Average dude easily spends more on a night out.
Subscription model?! If you think shysters only update programs for money you’ll love getting ripped when the subscription model doesn’t show up.
If you can’t afford it once every two years (or @ $1 per week) I’d advise not to buy anything with pro in the name. :mrgreen:
It’s a nice carrot and a very small stick.
And your wallet is in your pocket. If you decide to throw it away that’s your (mine too) decision. Not any company. GASmen really can’t complain.

Hmmm… Cubase 8 “PRO” upgrade, or a night out having beers at BJ’s :confused: