Cubase Volume

Hello,

A simple question - Is the volume control the same for each track in Cubase? What I mean is, if I adjust 10 different tracks from 60 up to 84, will they all increase by the exact same amount of volume? Or is this dependent upon sample libraries or something else? I am assuming they will all increase the same, but sometimes I think my ears are playing tricks on me. Thanks for any replies!

OK, so the answer as far as I can tell is surprisingly NO, making the same adjustments with the volume on each track does not yield exactly the same increase or decrease of volume. For example, I adjusted several different tracks by the same increase but after analyzing the audio with the statistics function I found that the increase was not exactly the same for all the tracks. Of course, I would prefer if it were an exact amount. Is this different in a newer version of Cubase?

The same sample player, yes. Different sample players might yield different results, however.

The other caveat is that moving the fader by the same amount at different points of the db range, will yield different results, even within the same sample player.

ex:

For a MIDI track routed to a Kontakt instrument, where K’s MIDI controller volume range is set to +12, a Cubase fader move from 80 to 77 (3 ticks) will move the K volume slider 1 db. A Cubase fader move from 50 to 47 (3 ticks) will move the K volume slider 1.6 db. A Cubase fader move from 120 to 117 (3 ticks) will move the K volume slider .6 db. A Cubase fader move from 120 to 100 (20 ticks) will move the K volume slider 4.7 db. A Cubase fader move from 50 to 30 (20 ticks) will move the K volume slider 13.2 db. And on.

However, if 80 to 77 moves the K volume slider 1 db, 80 to 77 might not move the volume slider of another sample player 1 db.

Cheers.