Cubase won't open - Runtime error R6025

Hi there. When I try to start Cubase 6 the program freezes on startup and I get this error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Runtime error! R6025 – pure virtual function call.

My installation of the program seemed to go fine. And the first time I started it up the program did actually boot up ok. I didn’t use it - I closed it and registered my serial number online. And since then, when I try to start the program I get the error message above (perhaps this is important: the program startup seems to freeze and give me the error after getting to “Initialize: VST System Link”).

So far I have tried

• Reinstalling Cubase (including on a different partition)
  • Flushing out unnecessary registry files
  • Defragging the hard drive
  • Moving VSTplugins to a different folder & trying to boot up

The most similar situation to mine I can see has involved re-directing a path in the registry:

1. Go to Start / Run and type Regedit
  2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / VST
  3. In this section there is a key called VSTPluginsPath with the value set to the location of your VST plugins. I assume you will see that it is set to C:\ instead of something like C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins
  4. Just double click VSTPluginsPath and paste the path in.

Unfortunately this does not seem to work for me as there is no Software / VST section in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE section on my machine.

Are there any users out there who have experienced this and have any suggestions? Many thanks.

The confession: I am using a Windows XP SP3 machine. Yep I know Steinberg isn’t supporting XP users with C6, but earlier postings indicated that XP users have found Cubase 6 ok on their systems. Also, I have noticed that users of previous versions of Cubase, with XP and Windows 7, have experienced the same runtime error.

_I should add that my computer has:

• Service Pack 3, with latest updates
  • 3.25 GB of ram
  • Microsoft C++ 2010 x86 (and others going back)_

Ok so this is pretty much fixed… there is some sort of conflict with my Zoom H4 audio interface that gives the runtime error.

If I only initialise the Zoom H4 after opening Cubase 6 I seem ok.

Perhaps it’s something to do with other settings on my machine. Anyway, all good for now, and the software seems fine in XP, although I haven’t spent a great deal of time on it yet.