Cubase wont start after 12.0.40 update: Skin file “skin” not found!

OK, so my Cubase Pro 12.0.30 had been mostly OK apart from the odd thing I was not sure if it was me or the application.
However, I applied the new 12.0.40 update via the download assistant.
Now on attempting to start, I get two error boxes:

Skin file “skin” not found!
Could not load GUI Resources!

Then it just exits, so is 100% dead in the water.
I run reinstall from the downloader, and same results. Rebooted: no change.
I have not attempted a full uninstall followed by putting it back. Kind of don’t want to do that, and maybe fight will all the setups, including Control Room and setting all the input and output ports etc again from defaults.
Win 10 21H2, Intel i5 based PC. 32 GB ram. 1 SSD C: drive. Nothing very special.

1 Like

Hi,

Reinstall the update and make sure, you install it as administrator, please.

OK. I manually downloaded the installer, rather than using the download manager.
Running as Admin gives me a few more options, so giving that a try.

OK, doing that and picking the “Reinstall choice” for the core Cubase, but not all the other bits, seems to have worked.
It now loads again, no error, and seems to have kept my settings and Control Room and audio interface etc setups. Focisrite 2i4, so never enough inputs and outputs but its getting me by for the moment.
Thanks!

Similar problems on MacBook Pro running 12.0.4. Some plugins will load but be deactivated. You can’t activate them, remove them or anything, they’re just there. You can open them and mess with controls but they don’t do anything.

12.0.30 I had no problems like this and would love to go back!

I’m running Mac Os Monterey 12.5.1 on an M1 mac. Just annoying as the system is mostly useless now.

Fixed the problem - it just occurred to me the “Constrain Delay Compensation” button might have a little something to do with it… It does!

Turned it off and all works fine on 12.0.40.

Hope that helps someone.

I had the same problem after updating to 12.0.52 (I’m running Elements). I updated it today, from 12.0.40, no problem with that one. I’m using the Download Assistant, and I have tried Install again a couple of times, restarted my computer a couple of times as well.

Downloaded the installer manually and had to choose the option to Repair, ran it and that fixed it.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

If you are on Windows, I would recommend to install the update again. Make sure, you install it as administrator, please.

The same thing happened for the message [Skin file “skin” not found!] When updating from 12.0.6.0 to 12.0.7.0. I had to reinstall manually from the file, not the installer.
Using the installer to reinstall won’t work because (which is a bug also because the downloader didn’t reinstall, it re-downloaded the file…) didn’t fix the issue.

1 Like