Cubase won't start...

Hey guys,

Suddenly Cubase decided not to start if Windows (7x64) has been running for some time - Cubase will start only within the first 30 or 45 minutes after the boot and after that it won’t start. That simple. All other applications/daws/etc start as they should, but not Cubase.

Anyone with this annoying situation?

I’ve just formatted and re installed Windows because I was running a 12+ months old installation, so it might had its share of problems, but this situation persisted with the fresh installation. FWIW, my hardware hasn’t changed at all in the last 6 months.

Here is a task manager screenshot with many Cubase instances: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

If anyone has some tips on this, please send them!

Thanks in advance

Your screenshot would suggest that the problem is more about Cubase not stopping than not starting.

If you start windows and don’t use it for an hour, does Cubase still not open…or is it only when re-opening you have a problem?

The first time it fails to open, go to task manager and end process for all the Cubase processes in the list. If they all close successfully, go back to windows and try to start Cubase again. Does this work.

That screenshot was only to highlight the fact that it starts the process but I never see the program. It’s not about closing it.

What I’m doing is starting Cubase right after booting and never closing it, which is bad because a crash will make me restart.

BTW, this is happening with 7.0.6 and 7.5 - both 64 bit.

That screenshot was only to highlight the fact that it starts the process but I never see the program. It’s not about closing it.

Not about you cloising it, but it is about closing. I think you can’t start another instance because the first one hasn’t closed properly.

What I’m doing is starting Cubase right after booting and never closing it, which is bad because a crash will make me restart

So it only happens after a crash…the 30-45 minutes thing is not really relevant??

Did you try this?

The first time it fails to open, go to task manager and end process for all the Cubase processes in the list. If they all close successfully, go back to windows and try to start Cubase again. Does this work?

What Grim is saying is that typically when processes gets “frozen” or locks it is likely that a subsequent instances will not see the day of light, so if you right click and “kill” (end process) all instances of Cubase, does it still not let you start a new instance?

I also happened to google the “fst_br_42.exe” process shown on the screen shot. Only one result, odd in itself, showed as being related to malware.

edit Oops, sorry Grim, wasn’t fast enough, beat me to it! LOL

That sounds like a problem with a startup process. If you’re opposed to rebuilding, I’d start with going into msconfig and turning off any startup services except those that deal with eLicenser/syncrosoft.

If you’re not against rebuilding again, try formatting your OS drive and having Cubase as your only other installed application aside from Windows and the mandatory updates it needs. Don’t even install your audio device drivers, if you can help it.

If there’s still a problem with it starting, then the problem might have something to do with your eLicenser or some other hardware.

If there’s no problem (just errors that it can’t find an audio device or such), then install everything you need just for Cubase to work properly. If it starts fine after that, I’d suggest making a backup image of your OS drive to make refreshing easier in the case of a muck-up. From there, keep installing things you want until you run into that problem with Cubase again.

1. Why do you have five instances of Cubase running? And why - with five running - do you expect Cubase to start?

2. Why do you have nine instances of chrome running?

You don’t happen to have Cubase set to start when Windows starts, do you?

Do this:

Reboot
Do not open Cubase; do not open chrome
Let the OS sit for 1 hr
Launch Cubase (there will be ONE instance of Cubase running in the TM)

Do you see it now?

Dongle on a USB3 port was the culprit here. Dongle is now a USB2 port and it seems like it is working.

Last week I re-organized cabling and swapped some usb ports and the dongle ended up on a USB3 port. That’s when the problem started. I’ve checked the power settings and there wasn’t anything there and went through other troubleshooting basics (drivers, configurations) but forgot I had swapped ports on basically all USB devices I have. Maybe it’s something specific of my motherboard or just Windows a dongle stopped talking.

Anyway, all good now.

Yes - seems like this came along with some other app I installed without de-ticking all those ad/crapware boxes. I think it was Daemon Tools…

Anyway, it’s decimated.

Problem solved - thread closed.

Cheers everyone, thanks for the replies!

Awesome!

Might just have something to do with USB3 drivers for your hardware not being mature enough. Do you know what company makes the USB3 controller / provides the drivers you’re using?

I had this same issue, where Cubase 8 just mysteriously stopped starting up at all.

Specifics:
Version: Cubase 8 (64-bit version)
Operating System: Windows 10
USB dongle: Mbox first generation (literally the first one model ever made I believe, the “Product” and “Model no.” on the bottom both just say “MBOX”, it is OLD, but still works fine with garageband, so I figured it’d work with Cubase)

Was able to record just fine for a while, then one day I went to open it and it just… wouldn’t. Unlike yours, my task manager didn’t show any Cubase instances open in the applications or processes list. Swapping or unplugging the USB interface did nothing. Like you, I’d recently installed Daemon tools and a few USB drivers. Specifically, Avid Mbox driver 1.1.10 and ASIO4ALL v 2.14, and maybe another in my flailing attempt to get my Mbox working. Weirdly enough, that combination worked fine for a full day. It was only the next when it mysteriously locked up. The steps I took:

1. Restarted computer (no change)
  2. Restarted computer with updates (no change)
  3. Uninstalled Daemon tools (no change)
  4. Uninstalled all audio drivers and reinstalled only the factory drivers for the computer (no change)
  5. Uninstalled Cubase and reinstalled it - This fixed Cubase’s inability to boot up, though then of course my USB interface (Mbox) no longer worked.

Trying a new approach, I did the following:

1. Uninstall Cubase
  2. re-install my Mbox drivers (ASIO4ALL and Avid Mbox)
  3. Re-install Cubase (and update)
    Still no start, with nothing showing up in the task manager. Not sure what’s going on, but it seems to be something to do with the USB interface driver.

i figured out a solution to cubase not starting up, the error happened to me and i found that the eLicenser program was the problem, uninstall the eLicenser and get the latest version and cubase should start right back up. (this reply is for anyone who is experiencing this error on any version (2021))

1 Like