Cubase

How do I change the time signature on Cubase 6? It says to click on the time signature area but nothing happens. If I want to, for example, change the time signature in measure 5, do I double click on the measure 5 marker in the time signature area?

First you need to add a “signature track”. On that track you can then draw-in time signature changes.
See operations manual p465 onwards…

It means, “Click on the Time Signature area in the Transport Bar” (for time signatures, unlike tempo events, no Time Signature track is necessary for this). It displays the Time Signature at the current Song Position, and you can edit it there directly.

I’m still on V5, so maybe that doesnt apply to C6 anymore, but if you want to have different time signatures within one song, you open the tempo track. Then with the pencil tool you click in the time signature area at the point you want to change the time signature. This will create a new event, which can be set to a different time signature.

How about changing the title of this thread to something a bit more relevant?

Tempo track = for changes in tempo

Signature track = for changes in signature

Sorry, what I meant to say was “tempo track editor”, which let´s you edit both.

I’m wondering if one can make some more exotic signatures in Cubase (6). I like to make a 5/7 but I don’t succeed in doing so.

What would a “5/7” time signature actually be? IF it were possible, that would mean that the “base” would be a 7th of a whole-note, and there would be 5 of them to the bar. Standard music keeps our “base” to a simple fraction of a whole note (e.g. “3/4” means 3 quarter notes to the bar, “7/8” means 7 eigth-notes to the bar, etc.).
However, if you are meaning that what you want is really a bar in 7/8, but playing a 5-tuplet over it, then that is possible, using the N-tuplet function in the Score Editor.

No. Because it’s so exotic it doesn’t exist in the present universal notation system as used by Cubase.
If you learn how to read music you’ll find that pretty much is catered for as suggested by Vic France.
There is no 7 base. Only 2,4,8,16, etc. because that is the base value of notes. You could work it out with dotted values but it’s be pretty unwieldy and unreadable for most musicians.

The 5 of the 5/7 swould still mean that there are 5 notes to the bar which, to the listener, would just be 5/8 but just a bit faster.

5/7 will last longer than 5/8 because 1/7 is longer than 1/8, so it will play slower, wouldn’t it? :wink:

On the other hand; if the bpm is the same it will play at the same tempo independant of whether you’ve devided the bar into 4, 7, 8 or 16 as nominator for your time siganture, 5 is 5 anyhow.