Cubase8Elements. No output audio w/ Scarlet 18i20

Hi.

No audio will play out of any project. I have both Cubase 7 and Cubase 8 loaded on the same computer and this problem only happens with Cubase 8. I do not attempt to use both versions of Cubase at the same time. Cubase 8 was working for a while but when I saved a project and returned later, no audio comes out. I am using the Focusrite USB 2.0 (v 2.5.1) driver with the 18i20 interface. The cubase track inputs are connected to three microphones (mic 1, 2, 3). The outputs are connected to Mon 1 and Mon 2.

No audio can be heard when using Cubase 8 but all of the level meters are showing activity. I can record with no problem but cannot hear any output. If I exit Cubase 8, other applications which produce audio output will not work and I must reboot the computer.

I have tried many configurations and also clicked the button that says “release driver when program is in the background”. No success at all. I have reviewed many similar “no Audio” problems in this forum. None of the related suggestions helped. Works perfectly every time with Cubase 7 under any circumstances. I just upgraded to Cubase 8 recently but have been using Cubase 7 for several months with no problems at all. For now, I cannot use Cubase 8 and must use Cubase 7 until this strange problem is resolved.

Thank you for any help…

Ray

Hi Ray,

Sorry to hear about the issue you are having with the Scarlett 18i20. I hope that I’m able to help you out today.

Please try opening Scarlett Mix Control > File > Restore Factory Defaults.

If you are still not hearing audio after taking this step please give us a call so that we can further assist you. Phone support is available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm(PST). 310 322 5500.

Best Regards,

Derrick // Focusrite Technical Support

Update to this issue: The folks at Focusrite provided a new (Beta) USB driver. It seems the problems have gone away. To obtain the driver, you must contact Focusrite Tech support at the number listed by Derrick.

… So far, so good.

Thanks…

Ray