Cubases Crashes when using short cut to open instrument on sampler track

I am goin crazy!!! I have a keyobard shortcut on “v” for opening VSTi instruments. This also works for the Cubase sampler tracks, sometimes… but more often it crashes Cubase when doing this on the sampler track. This happens on both my Windows 10 and my Mac OS 12 machines.

Why?!!!

Hi,

Herd to guess without the crash/ips file. Could you share it, please?

1 Like

Sure. I know I am not the only one with this. The Key Command is “Edit VST Instrument”. If you fire up this key command while on a sampler track it is more likely that Cubase crashes than the actual sampler instruments open in the lower zone. At least for me.

Cubase 12-2022-09-20-165713.ips (222.1 KB)

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

1 Like

thank you!

hi @Martin.Jirsak, any news on this topic? The crashes keep happening. It is really frustrating.

Thanks,
Oliver

seems like this bug is ignored completely. I am using Waves Cr8 sampler instead of the cubase sampler track as a workaround. But that is really annoying and I don’t want to continue using waves as they are going for subscription only.

Hi,

Can you still reproduce it in the latest Cubase 12.0.52? I haven’t been able to reproduce this at all.

1 Like

yes. I create a sampler track, load a sample, close the lower zone. click “v” which is my key command for “edit instrument” (maybe it is even the default one) and Cubase crashes instantly. I can replicate this both on Windows and on Mac. A friend of mine has the exact same issue. And according to the all the threads in this forum sampler track stability seems to be a major issue for a lot of people.

Cubase 12-2023-03-28-105448.ips (175.3 KB)

I tried a couple times more and there might be a relation to visibility agents

Let me write a step by step guide to replicate

Hi,

This crash comes from the usagelogger. Could you attach more of the *.ips files, if all the crashes come from the usagelogger, please? If yes, you could just disable it.

1 Like

let me try that

disabled it in the preferences. Same behavior. Let me upload the latest .ips

Cubase 12-2023-03-28-111050.ips (173.9 KB)

Steps to replicate:

1. Open Cubase
  2. Open Empty Project
  3. Create Sampler Track
  4. Choose Visibility Agent "Show Tracks with Data!
  5. Choose Visibility Agent “Show all Tracks”
  6. Close the Lower Zone
  7. Open the Sampler Track via Edit Instrument (doesn’t matter if via key command or not)
    —> Cubase Crashes

Please follow these steps I am sure you can replicate it everytime. Will upload a screen recording if needed.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you. I start to see a pattern, now.

1 Like

I tested further.

You can just hide and unhide the sampler track and it will crash if you open the “edit instrument”.

If you give this to developers could you please add a tiny feature request. It would be really awesome to open the sampler track in a floating window instead of the lower zone when you click “edit instrument” or use the key command. Really annoying that it loads up in lower zone and lower zone stays open when you close the sampler track.

I make extensive use of the visibility agents but have not thought about a relation to the crashes yet… I asked my friend if he can test on his side as well and I will try to replicate on my windows machine as well.

1. Open Cubase
  2. Open Empty Project
  3. Create Sampler Track
  4. Hide the Sampler Track
  5. Unhide the Sampler Track
  6. Close the Lower Zone
  7. Open the Sampler Track via Edit Instrument (doesn’t matter if via key command or not)
    —> Cubase Crashes

Hi,

What exactly do you mean by this, please? I don’t see the Edit Instrument command in the Key Commands window, if I search for it. Do you mean Edit VST Instrument?

In the Sample Track, the button is named Open/Close Sampler. Is this what do you mean?

Could you attach screenshot of the Key Command assignment, please?

Hi,

OK, now I can reproduce it…

So the Key Command has to be assign to the Edit VST Instrument command. And the important step is to Hide/Show the Sampler Track before you hit the Key Command.

So the easiest way is:

• Assign a Key Command to the Edit VST Instrument.
  • Add a Sampler Track.
  • Hide the Sampler Track
  • Show the Sampler Track
  • Hit the Key Command, you assigned to the Edit VST Instrument.

Cubase crashes.

Btw, I cannot reproduce this, if I click the Open/Close Sampler button in the track list (as the last step of my repro, instead of hitting the Key Command).

Thank you for your cooperation. Reported to Steinberg.

1 Like