Cubase's own multiband compressor causing latency

Just like in the C 8.5 MB compressor, you simply have to switch on “Live” mode and almost gone is the latency…
Try learning something about the tools you use, before constantly complaining.

I’m afraid almost gone just doesn’t do it for me mate :unamused: …and I’ll complain as much as i want!! there is plenty to complain about!!! :unamused:

also I’m talking about a Dynamic MBC which C8’5 does not have… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I wonder why you are bothered by latency then, if you’re mixing only, not tracking … :slight_smile:

You have said previously you had moved on to S1 after determining it was better for you. Have you changed your mind, or are you just trying to help potential Cubase 9 Pro purchasers make up their minds? :slight_smile:

Hi, I use the DMBC throughout my tracking, it’s on my project from the very beginning, your comment has made me realize that maybe it doesn’t need to be there during tracking, but I have it anyway and it causes me no problems :slight_smile:

I have bought and am moving to S1 but it is of course (for me) a gradual process, projects that are 50/75% done I will finish in Cubase, new projects I am starting in S1…
I really do prefer Cubase because it has some fab features that i like and use a lot, however after trying S1 I realized how clunky it is and for workflow S1 is better but it’s not as fully equipped as Cubase, the chord track is particularly amazing!!
but I think my move and my attitude towards Steinberg has changed on a principle kinda thing,
I bought a DAW that had a video engine…now it hasn’t and it has not had one for a very long time…and is it gonna get one? who knows :confused:
the plugin that comes with Cubase causes more latency than a third party plugin…I never thought that would be possible…
I have Cubase since 4 and even though they’ve introduced more stuff, most of which we (or i definitely don’t need) but it’s performance ( for me ) is much worse…and it’s not my system, if it was why would S1 run the same project at a much lower percentage ( and Mixbus 4 for that matter )

If your happy with the way it’s going then I’m happy for you to stay with Steinberg, try asking them when you’ll get the fully functional DAW you bought!!
I’m not happy with the way it’s going and am looking for a way to not give them any more money…or to be more precise, more money than it’s worth,
I will upgrade to 9 for 50 Euro but not for a 100…it’s not worth it my friend…
but as long as they do not give 8.5 the video engine it should have I will never upgrade, they will not force me onto 9

best to you, Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi, I use the DMBC throughout my tracking, it’s on my project from the very beginning, your comment has made me realize that maybe it doesn’t need to be there during tracking, but I have it anyway and it causes me no problems :slight_smile:

I have bought and am moving to S1 but it is of course (for me) a gradual process, projects that are 50/75% done I will finish in Cubase, new projects I am starting in S1…
I really do prefer Cubase because it has some fab features that i like and use a lot, however after trying S1 I realized how clunky it is and for workflow S1 is better but it’s not as fully equipped as Cubase, the chord track is particularly amazing!!
but I think my move and my attitude towards Steinberg has changed on a principle kinda thing,
I bought a DAW that had a video engine…now it hasn’t and it has not had one for a very long time…and is it gonna get one? who knows :confused:
the plugin that comes with Cubase causes more latency than a third party plugin…I never thought that would be possible…but maybe I’m ignorant in this regard, puters are not my favourite things, neither are DAW’s actually, just have to have one to make music :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I have had Cubase since 4 and even though they’ve introduced more stuff, most of which we (or i definitely don’t need, particularly the latest upgrade) it’s performance ( for me ) is much worse…and it’s not my system, if it was why would S1 run the same project at a much lower percentage ( and Mixbus 4 for that matter )

If your happy with the way it’s going then I’m happy for you to stay with Steinberg, try asking them when you’ll get the fully functional DAW you bought!!
I’m not happy with the way it’s going and am looking for a way to not give them any more money…or to be more precise, more money than it’s worth,
I will upgrade to 9 for 50 Euro but not for a 100…it’s not worth it my friend…
but as long as they do not give 8.5 the video engine it should have I will never upgrade, they will not force me onto 9

best to you, Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I keep getting the quotes thing wrong…sorry, I’m always in a hurry!! :slight_smile:

I had to use Waves C6 recently again and got reminded of this… unfortunate thread.

The reason why the Cubase Multiband Compressor has higher latency is because it uses linear phase filtering to avoid the artifacts introduced with multiband processing. Waves C4 and C6 don’t do that, and introduce phase smearing that can ruin layered/multitracked recordings EVEN WHEN THERE’S NO COMPRESSION GOING ON. You can lose punch and fullness without even noticing this way.

The Cubase MultibandCompressor has a Live mode that disables the linear phase filters and compressor look-ahead, lowering the latency to zero (or very close). The other multiband processors also have this button.

Hi, it’s not an unfortunate thread my friend, I had absolutely no idea why the latency was happening :confused: you have answered the question and helped me (and others I’m sure) to understand why this was happening, we don’t all have your enviable knowledge of such things, I say this with respect…not trying to be funny,
so I thank you for the explanation, this really is such a good forum for help, :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I really wish I could get into Cubase so deep…It’s such a good DAW…just getting a bit messy though, sadly :frowning: