Cubasis 1.9 update available

Good point me too

It is not possible to save FX presets separately as of yet.

Of course it’s not.If you would’ve read the rest of the thread,you could’ve saved your post :wink:

Although any developer feedback is always welcome,thanks!

I requested this multiple times,i really hope it will see the light someday.Many of your fx have more than just a very few paramter so it would be quite handy and a timesaver.I assume it can’t be rocket science (for the development team) since Micrologue had a preset system right from the beginning.

I wish that were true.

Sadly Cubasis hasn’t yet reached he minimum threshold for me to call it a serious app. When comparing to Cubase Elements, it’s not yet in the same league sadly. My big gripe (and one person campaign) is that you can’t return the playhead to he original position on stop. Such a boring feature, but such an essential one, especially when space and workflow issues are at a premium. Of course there are others too (yes. the tempo track), but this is the most basic. I couldn’t be less interested in more effects - for me it’s a sketching tool. It’s all about workflow, not endless varieties of compressors and reverbs.

I’d really hoped Cubasis was a useful (if obviously stripped down) app, useful for starting a song or project on the road. I quickly realised that it was some way from that. £35 is a lot for an app, but small fry for a serious musician - but sadly it’s not yet at a level to be truly useful to a serious musician. Of course if you were motivated enough you could make something useful with it, but you could do it in a quarter of the time in Elements. For the time being, the laptop has to stay in the bag.

A great shame, but hopefully the next release will up Cubasis’ game.

Dear Support,

I have Cubasis 1.9 installed in my IPAD Air 2, IOS 8.1, and I also have Korg Module 1.0.3(20), latest version installed.

However when I want to use Cubasis 1.9 Inter-app audio to output the midi track to Korg Module, I could not find Inter-App option in the instrument section, in the instruments section, there are only three categories:“No Instrument”, “Micro Sonic” and “Micrologue”.

However, the Inter-app audio function works well in the Garageband, which is installed in my ipad.

Has the Korg Module application tested in the Cubasis 1.9 version?

Hi jomanwcm,

We have the issue reproducible with Korg Module and evaluate the problem.
Please give the following workaround a try and let me know if this helps to solve the issue:

(1) Launch Cubasis
(2) Create a MIDI track
(3) Tap the instrument icon and choose “No Instrument”
(4) Open “Inspector” and tap “Routing”
(5) Tap “MIDI ouput” tab
(6) Choose “Module” from the list

Thanks,

Lars

Hi everyone,

I have read through all your comments, so please allow me to chime in at this point.

Both Cubasis and our user base are taken very seriously at Steinberg: this is why we’ve released around 15 feature-laden updates with an average of 20 or more topics per release on a regular basis since introducing the app back in December ’12.

Obviously, creating high-quality products require highly qualified manpower, the infrastructure and, last but not least, a lot of time and money. On the other end, all of the Cubasis updates up to now have been free of charge for existing Cubasis users.

And while we’d really like to fulfill each and every one of your requests (new features, fixes and improvements) by implementing these in the very next update, you should be aware that this will never be possible; instead, things have to be taken step by step. While it may not always appear this way from the outside, requested fixes can result in severe consequences and therefore have to be scoped over several update cycles - not to mention unforeseeable events that require immediate attention alongside the scheduled additions.

I strongly recommend to take the FX packs (recently released as IAP with 1.9) as what they are intended to be: a great offer for interested Cubasis customers.

If you generally disapprove of IAPs or you’re simply not interested in the products, then there’s no need for you to buy them.

Interestingly, those customers who have bought the Cubasis FX packs seem to be pleased with the effects both in terms of quality and pricing (of course, we’re very glad to hear that).

As announced with the 1.9 update, the next Cubasis update will focus on 64-bit, new features, improvements and further maintenance fixes. Again, to cover this scope a lot of time and effort will need to be invested until the update will be ready for release.

Be kind one to another and enjoy being creative;)

All the best,
Lars

Thanks Lars. And of course you are right - there’s no way you’ll please everyone here.

I guess different people are looking for different things from a music iPad app. I may be coming at it differently from most - indeed, the fact that no-one seems to have raised the playhead on stop issue until I did a few weeks ago (the day after I bought it) suggests I must be in the minority.

I use Cubase 8 professionally. I’m not looking at an iPad app to produce polished finished results, rather as a quick sketchpad for ideas when on the road, where I can then import right into Cubase for further working. At the moment I use Elements for this task on a laptop. It’s too much to hope for that level of functionality on an iPad, but for me its all about the workflow - being able to work on a small screen quickly and efficiently. That to me is what I consider a serious, professional product. I probably jumped in too early, maybe I had unrealistic expectations given its current level of development - although Elements is 2/3 times the cost, it would be 10 times quicker to work with, hence why I haven’t pursued working with Cubasis.

The FX packs are a great idea, because those who do want to produce more polished results within the app can do that without it increasing the overheads on the wider audience. More synths, effects, bells and whistles I’d be delighted if they were also optional paid upgrades, where folks can use them or not. But (again, for me anyway) getting the real core workflow and functionality right is the first thing I’m looking for in the app. My own humble request for future development in the core app is to focus on the workflow, and the basic features for song sketching. As well as return playhead on stop, a tempo map is fairly essential for basic working.

Thanks for listening.

I don’t mind paying for in app purchases when they are useful, so I did not hesitate to buy the 1.9 pack, even though it’s not comfortable to work with FX without being able to save FX presets. I also would never object paying for major upgrades, since I’m interested in further development of this useful mobile solution.

I also don’t expect Cubasis to be compared with any PC version: I use it for fast idea sketching and then importing the raw stuff into Cubase, and of course do not at all look at it as Cubase replacement.

So far so good.
But there’s one point, where I disagree a lot:

• basic functionality fixing of an existing version should have first priority before doing ANYTHING else!

The unnerving midi and audio folder problem is a good example: it lasted until the last update, until a fix was finally implemented, after a lot of waiting through previous versions. And then it became clear, that the fix did not work as expected, and the folders still all are open at every start of the program, and have to be closed manually one by one - no fun as soon as you really use the app and have a bunch of folders with your material.

If Steinberg does not care about that kind of basic functionality issues in the following update, months later, and instead offers new inapp purchase plugins, they are definilely setting wrong priorities from my view. I am simply not interested in new functionality, before the present version runs smooth. And if limited team resources mean anything, that would first of all be the old principle “first things first”, and basic bug fixing of an existing version is first things first by definition IMO.

Problem is,what might be an"essential"bug for you,for others it’s not.The folder bug for example is way way down on my list,in fact i didn’t even count that as a bug.Critical for me is still the "quantization always on"thing,to,name just one.There is still a bit more that needs to be fixed,and everybody has another top priority…

I can imagine the Cubasis team have a limited budget to work with and (after 2 years) need to create more income so they can continue with bugfixing/new features.So i definitely understand the iAPs (and they are a welcome addition to me) but it was most likely not the smartest move to release the last update without ANY bugfixes.

Nope, sorry.
Already trying to sell me more effects when the built in ones are, excuse me, lousy.

Not good enough Steinberg.

While you’re at it, a better built in synth would come in handy too.

To each their own,it’s "just a buck"for each effect so there’s really not much to complain imo…

And Micrologue is quite nice sounding,there are more important things missing like a (drum)sampler or better/more rompler sounds.

I’d always thought, that Steinberg - the inventor of VST - would build a simular interface in Cubasis for third-parties to build their synths, sampler, fx etc.
Maybe there’s a little hope?

Hi Lars,

Thanks for prompt reply, after I do that, do I need to press home button, then open the korg app, select the instrument, then switch back to cubasis and start recording?

Thanks.

Joman

Hi jomanwcm,

Please follow these steps:

(1) Launch Korg Module
(2) Launch Cubasis
(3) Create a MIDI track
(4) Tap the instrument icon and choose “No Instrument”
(5) Open “Inspector” and tap “Routing”
(6) Tap “MIDI ouput” tab
(7) Choose “Module” from the list
(8) Tap “KEYS” button to trigger and record “Module” inside Cubasis.

Follow these steps to create an audio mixdown of your MIDI track created with Module:

(1) Create an audio track
(2) Tap “Mono input” in the Inspector Routing settings
(3) Tap “Inter-App” button in the “Audio Inputs” list and choose “Module”
(4) Make sure the audio track is selected and hit the record button

Please get back to me via PM if you have further questions.

Best,

Lars

I appreciate the updates, the app has matured since inception. That said, I don’t like that the Toolbar button has been replaced by a shopping cart with two items awaiting check out in 1.9. The instructions still refer to the Toolbar button, but I’ve looked everywhere and it’s apparently gone. How do I restore the ability to hide the Toolbar?

I thought the purchase would magically restore the Toolbar button, but apparently not! Not being able to hide the toolbar adds an additional step to seeing the channel strip, which is something I use constantly. And for what? A button that permanently nags you to buy additional components… I love Cubasis, but this is a giant step in the wrong direction and ethically dubious. Who’s brilliant marketing idea was this? It’s very disappointing. At least there would’ve been a workaround if it was the metronome button… but they chose to cripple the elegant useful Toolbar feature instead.

Hi kanego,

As stated already in your similar topic:
Unfortunately there is no option to hide the toolbar at this moment.

Best,
Lars

Really ?
In what universe is that acceptable ?

Lars.
Try that trick in Cubase v7 and see what happens !!!
There would be UPROAR, and rightly so.

Essentially, Steinberg has removed previously available (and necessary) functionality in exchange for ramming a purchasing option into our faces !!!

So the question is this, why is Steinberg treating Cubasis users differently to Cubase users ?
Have we been dropped into a hitherto unknown ghetto ?
Does Steinberg take Cubasis users as being ‘less’ professional than Cubase users ?

Thank you for the opportunity to post these questions.

Threlly.

My guess: the next update will fix this. It IS ridiculous after all.