Cubasis 3 Free to Upgrade?

Hi cloudswimmer,

Thank you for your message.

Rewriting Cubasis 3 from scratch took our full team several years, plus they’ve added an iPhone version and more than twenty user-requested new features. While I fully understand that the new features will not match everyone’s taste, we plan to add more in the future. Nevertheless, tempo/time signature support will come at high cost, and might still take a while until being ready. Please note that Cubasis 2 received a free 2.8.2 update as well.

Best,
Lars

Thanks for the kind comment, trycrom!
Greatly appreciated!

Best,
Lars

Thank for the comment, nexis!

Best,
Lars

Hi hipp0henk,

Cubasis has seen more than thirty updates since its initial release back in Dec 2012.
All of them have been free of charge for existing customers.

Rewriting Cubasis 3 from scratch took our full team several years, to reprogram everything included and make things better. Plus we’ve added highly user-requested features such as the brand-new iPhone version and more than twenty other additions such as group tracks, a new mixer, extended effects, a new MediaBay, a brand-new UNDO system with History List and so much more.

If Cubasis 3 is not for you, we hope the Cubasis 2.8.2 update will be.

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Divesh,

Cubasis 3 is a brand-new app, and not an update of any existing previous Cubasis version.

It took the team several years to rewrite the app from scratch, plus we’ve added several user-requested features such as the brand-new iPhone version, group tracks, a new mixer, additional FX slots, a full rewritten UNDO system with History List, a new MediaBay and so much more.

Feel free to check out all the new additions yourself on our website at: Creativity First — Our Passion for Music Inspires | Steinberg

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Yamahasy85,

As a day one Cubasis user, you have seen 30+ feature and improvement updates, since our initial release back in Dec 2012.

Cubasis 3 is a brand-new app, rewritten from scratch, adding a new iPhone version and more than twenty user-requested features.
It took the full team several years to make it, and is not a simple update of any previous Cubasis version.

Best wishes,
Lars

Thank you, Hjortur!
We hope you will enjoy Cubasis!

Best,
Lars

Thanks for your comment, Towjam!

Best,
Lars

Very disappointed. Bought cubasis 2 only 2 months ago. Can’t afford to spend 5hat money again yet.

Hi Lars,
Many thanks for your reply,

I do fully understand and thank you all at Steinberg for all you constant hard work in providing us users with not only Cubasis, but all
Your products and service.

It’s just a bit frustrating that we have to buy a new app, which is basically a rework of the old.
Not to mention the fact that this new Cubasis 3, only works with ios13…

There have been countless issues regarding the ios13 with Audio issues, Apple favouring AUv3 over IAA.
That I have not and at this time will not update my device.

As you can understand I have over 80+ effects mostly AUv3, and 30+ synths AUv3 and IAA which as of now work more or les perfectly.

So I dare not risk them developing issues for the sake of updating iOS.

Maybe in time this will all get fixed and only then I may consider updating and moving on to cubasis 3.

As for now 2.8.2 will have to be my choice.

Just one thing,
Will 2.8.2 continue to get updated ??

Thank you again.
Best wishes
Yam.

I would gladly pay $49.99 for Cubasis 3. However, here in Australia it is $79.99. Anyone paying less than this price should consider themselves lucky.

If you are talking about 49,99 USD and 79,99 AUD the prices are almost the same, due to the difference in exchange rates.

Rewriting from scratch means rewriting to facilitate an iPhone version? A separate version for iPhone with an upgrade price for existing users would have been a fairer way. And sorry, but 2.8.2 ain’t a great change tbh. Not a personal attack on the Steinberg Cubasis Dev team but me feels the accountant got hold of the pricing decisions.

I agree with cloudswimmer: no upgrade price AND no tempo map?

I agree with cloudswimmer: no upgrade price AND no tempo map?

I’m wth hippo0henk on this one. No upgrade price AND still no remote control? (See also cloudswimmer’s tempo change)
Nice that you can pet and groom my dog, but if you can’t walk or feed it…

Hi Lars,
When was it announced that Cubasis 3 was on the horizon and would be a complete re-write and there would be no upgrade path? Having just purchased Cubasis 2, I must have missed the announcement.
Generally, I am a happy Steinberg customer and don’t mind subsidizing R&D. Where I have a problem is when a company knowingly sells you something thing that is soon to be discontinued and your investment hits a brick wall. Some healthy companies see the value of avoiding these scenarios. Soundtoys, Spectrasonics, Ujam always acknowledge your investment. A $10 discount or a coupon might only be a gesture but it avoids the current distaste I have in my mouth. I haven’t even opened Cubasis 2 because my wife’s iPad is only 16GB. When I get my iPad Pro in March, my principles might over-rule my desire for the latest and the greatest.

Hi, LSlowak.

Your are replying " It took the team several years to rewrite the app from scratch " all the time but I think You and all Steinberg Company forget something: We payed more tan 40 Euros for the first Cubasis. This money has helped to “rewrite the app from scratch” for sure so, Don’t you think we deserve a discount? Yeah, we’ve seen 30+ updates, And? , What do you mean ?, I don’t understand what do you want to say when you say "we’ve seen 30+ updates ", Is there a number of updates for Cubasis 2? 30+ updates is the top? or what.

The only thing I’m seing here is that I payed more than 40 Euros in Cubasis and FX apps, waiting for the rest of updates or new apps and now Steinberg tell us that all the suggestions for Cubasis 2 has been used for a new Cubasis, Cubasis 3, and we have to pay for it, again. Bravo. My advice for the new Cubasis 3 users: Don’t write suggestions.

I don’t like what you have done. During all my life as musician I’ve been using Steinberg Cubase ( now Cubasis in ipad ) but I think is time for a change. If you did with Cubasis 2 you Will do it with Cubasis 3 and I’m not going to spend more than 40 Euros, again. I have no trust in Steinberg, now.

I am happy to pay for a new app version, since we users profit from development!
That wouldn’t happen at all without money flow.

As for VERY recent Cubasis 2 buyers, I think a grace period of a month or two, with whatever compensation, would be fair.

Even taking the exchange rate into consideration, which I am, it’s about how much comes out of people’s pockets. I would gladly pay $50 or $55 for the new app (and don’t forget it’s a new app which just happens to bear the Cubasis name). It’s a pity there isn’t a limited time introductory price.

Does anyone know if I will have to repurchase the arpeggiator that I already bought for v2 or does that transfer over? I’m a little disappointed there is no small financial incentive for existing users to upgrade, but it does seem like a great new version.