Cubasis does not work when audio interface is connected

I have a MOTU 828es. Everything works fine in AUM, Audiobus, etc. But when I open Cubasis, none of the inputs work, and Cubasis seems to not even have a clock (won’t play or advance time at all).

My guess is that Cubasis ‘Freaks Out’ when it encounters an audio interface with more than 24 channels…

Hi @jscheel,

Thanks for your message and a warm welcome to the Cubasis forum!

Since we’r equipped with the MOTU 828ES, I’ve shared your topic with our friends at MOTU.

Will keep you updated if I hear back from them.

Did you try to assign the inputs as shown in our Cubasis tutorial?
Getting started with Cubasis | Adding audio tracks

Best,
Lars

Hi @jscheel again,

Our friends at MOTU replied to me and have been equipped with a Cubasis promo code for testing purposes. Awaiting their testing feedback.

Best,
Lars

Hi @LSlowak, thanks for looking into this. Sorry for the late reply, I’m quite a bit behind on email notifications :sweat_smile:. Yes, I have tried assign my inputs properly. I can also add that the first time I started Cubasis with my interface connected, it hung completely. I had to tell it to restart to an empty project. I am on the latest firmware on my MOTU, and Cubasis is up to date. Cheers!

Hi @jscheel,

Thanks for your updated message.

As stated above, MOTU is now equipped with Cubasis.
Let’s see what they find out.

Best,
Lars

Hi @jscheel again,

Brian from MOTU kindly gave the MOTU 828ES a check with Cubasis 3, where things fully work as expected.

He mentioned if the problem might be related to not granting Cubasis mic access (good point).

Starting Cubasis the very first time, a popup asking your permission to use the microphone appears, which has to be accepted.
If you tapped “no” by accident, please change the setting manually as follws:

• Please go to the iPad settings
  • There please go to Privacy / Microphone
  • Please make sure to enable Microphone use with Cubasis.

Please let me know if this helps to solve the problem.

Warm greetings,
Lars

@LSlowak Im sorry for the late reply, I’ve been swamped with work. Mic access is set up properly, but no luck. I can’t route any sound, and I can’t even get the play head to move.

Hi @jscheel,

Thanks for your message.

Since MOTU confirmed their 828ES to work as expected with Cubasis I’m out of ideas unfortunately. You may give it a try to check with their customer support, to find out where the issue could be related to.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

@LSlowak ok, I’ve filed a ticket with MOTU about it. Maybe the technician that tested it can can sync up with me to find out what’s different about our environments. It’s definitely a bummer right now, because I can’t use Cubasis at all with my interace :frowning:. I will say, I am still experiencing random lockups as well, when trying to change different settings to try and get the sound working. So something is definitely funky here.

@LSlowak with further testing, I am confident this is a bug in Cubasis. If I restart Cubasis with the option to load an empty project, it loads an empty project with the sample rate set to 48 kHz. This sample rate does not work with the interface (even though it really should). I’m guessing this is because the internal sample rate is locked at 44.1 kHz, but don’t quote me on that. If I close Cubasis and re-open it, it will lock up completely and not work or load the recently-generated starter project. However, if I close Cubasis, tell it to open an empty project from the settings, open the empty project, set the sample rate to 44.1 kHz, close Cubasis, manually set the sample rate on my MOTU to 44.1 kHz as well, then re-open Cubasis, it actually does work. So my guess is that there is some kind of sample rate mismatch going on here internally, where iOS is trying to lock it to one value, but Cubasis is trying to set it to another.

1 Like

@LSlowak interesting, I’ve done a bit more digging. When the interface is not connected, Cubasis sets the project sample rate to 48kHz. But when my interface connects, it won’t work at 48kHz, I have to do the dance I told you about to get it down to 44.1. The interface is compatible with both, so I’m not sure what would be happening to Cubasis that would prevent it from working at 48kHz when connected. I am also relaying this information to MOTU. I’ve asked to speak with the contract you made the, but they haven’t connected me yet.

Hi @jscheel,

Thanks for your message.

Please note that the available sample rates in Cubasis are dictated by the hardware in use.
In regards to the iPad, there are models which only support 48kHz.

Please keep me updated, about the MOTU feedback.

Thanks
Lars

@LSlowak will do. I haven’t heard anything yet, so I’ll probably ping them in a day or two. I know that some iPads are sample rate locked. But even if it was locked to 48 kHz, that wouldn’t explain why I have to manually set it down to 44.1 kHz to get it to work, right?

@LSlowak haven’t heard back from MOTU, but I’ve done more testing, and I really think this is a Cubasis issue. I opened Cubasis which auto loaded a 44.1 kHz project of mine. It correctly set the sample rate on my audio interface, and everything worked. I then created a new project. Cubasis automatically set the sample rate to 48 kHz, but it didn’t actually update my interface. I then used Cubasis to set the sample rate a few different times, switching between 44.1, 48, and 96, but nothing updated my interface. I set it back to 48 kHz, force quit Cubasis, then re-opened the app. It updated my interface go 48 kHz. My guess is that Cubasis only sets it when it loads maybe? However, at 48 kHz, the sound and clock do not work. This is only specific to Cubasis. If I try it in AUM at 48 kHz, everything works as expected. If I set it to 44.1 kHz in AUM, everything works. If I set Cubasis to 44.1 kHz, force quit and restart, then it works. But it does not work at 48 kHz, and it does not actually update the sample rate when I change it via to drop down in the settings until I restart the app.

Edit: sometimes, but not always, setting it to 48 kHz in Cubasis will actually work, but it is very sporadic. I’m not sure what’s going on here. Do you guys have a way for me to turn on verbose logging so I can give you more concrete data?

Hi @jscheel again,

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce your issues, and we’re afraid it is required to exchange with MOTU about all audio device related topics.

Here are a few additional questions and requests
What iPad device do you use and which iPadOS version is installed?
Does updating the iPadOS to the latest available version helps to resolve the issues?

Please hand over a screenshot of the Cubasis Setup / Audio pages.
Do you have the “Studio Quality” option enabled? Which “Latency” value is set?

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi @jscheel,

I’ve just exchanged with our friends at MOTU, and it looks like you’ve been in exchange with them already, correct?

Hope the issues can be resolved!

Best,
Lars