Cursor jumping backwards at record

Hi

Having what I guess is a pretty basic problem.

Cubase 8.5 Artist. Steinberg UR242 interface.
i7 Chip. Lots of RAM. Solid state hard drive.

I am recording the guitar tracks to a song to a click track (the built in metronome). Part way through the recording, I made a mistake, and as there is a slight gap in the chords at one point, I cut the recording at this point, deleted the recording after the cut point and set the cursor at this point to continue recording the track (I’m actually recording three tracks at the same time, but I guess this won’t affect the issue I’m having).
So far so good :slight_smile:
However, when I press the record button, the cursor jumps to the left so that the new record point is now in the wrong position - being a second or so earlier than I actually placed it.
If I put the cursor further along, just to see what happens, the cursor jumps back upon pressing record, but to a seemingly random place earlier to where I placed it - ie seems NOT to jump back the same distance to when it was placed in the correct position to recommence recording.

I tried this on a completely new blank file.
Same thing !

In Transport menu, Use Pre Roll is not ticked.

I have tried the Transport/Common Record Modes/Start Recording at Cursor, but the cursor still jumps back.

Tried with snap on and snap off, and also with snap to zero crossing. No difference !!

Both range markers are at the very beginning (so it presumably isn’t anything to do with these).

I’ve looked at the place the cursor jumps to with a large zoomed in scale. It sometimes jumps to between bar marker points. Seems completely random where it lands.

I hope someone will be able to tell me where I’m going wrong.
Thank you.

Move your in point using your mouse (i.e., click on your record in-point) on the track. On your transport bar simultaneously press the ‘option’ key and click on the ‘in-point’ and do the same step for your record ‘out-point’.

After you do this, press “I” then “O” on your keyboard. You will then see a ‘red’ coloured in and out point marker on your timeline.

This will set exact in and out record points on your track.

I’m using Cubase 9.5 on a Mac so this may be slightly different on a PC.

1 Like

Hi Zentrain

Thank you for this. Much appreciate someone getting back :slight_smile:

I’m aware of the punching in and out thing that I think you’re describing, but that’s not what I’m trying to do.
I often want the end (punch out) to be open - ie I don’t want a punch out as I will be trying different chord sequences or similar rather than trying to correct a small part within a known song. Plus the punch in/out thing is a bit long winded when I just need to commence recording at the end of the current track recording.

Maybe it’s not possible just to do this…but I’d be amazed as it’s such a simple thing to want to do I think.

Still haven’t found the answer after trawling t’internet and forums :frowning:

Same problem here. You move to the left locator, press I for punch in, hit record, Cubase jumps back a few miliseconds locator.
I miss cubase 5.
Cubase 9 Element doesn’t seem to have a measure grid: it moves millisecs by milisecs (1 to 1000 msecs but no measure grid!!!).
I miss cubase 5.

In Cubase 9.5 (element for poor me), I found a solution.
I started a recording project (guitar vocal whatever).
It seems to behave correctly. It does not jump back.
It also works for vst instruments. No jumping back.

What was the solution. I have this problem a lot in Cubase 12. I also know how to do punch in and out. I just want to be able to start recording where i put the cursor, but Cubase jumps back a bar to the left.

Exactly one bar? Sure you don’t have Pre Roll active?

It’s been 4 years since I haven’t encountered the problem.

I have Cubase 12 Elements.
In the Transport menu,
right under “Activate Tempo Track” you have
(if I translate accurately from French!) Common Recording Modes
the option Start recordind at cursor position should be ON.

Going back four years, the problem happened after upgrading (9 to 9,5). From what I posted, the problem disappeared when staring a new project from a NEW model. If I remember well there was an interference with the older MODEL i used for my projects.

I tried replicating your problem. In vain.
If Start recording at cursor position is ON, it always starts recording at cursor position regardless of punch in/out pre-roll/post-roll options. (I tried other options).
If Start recording at cursor position is OFF, it starts at a previous marker or at the beginning of the track. Never a bar to the left.
But the problem was real four years ago.

I remember having a timing problem but I may be conflating two past issues.

Add a marker track and drop the marker where you want to start recording. It has the advantage when you want to replay what you have recorded it will jump back to the marker.
I’m using c11 elements and it works great for me.

I have the same problem. Here’s something I noticed. On hitting record, the cursor is jumping back to the beginning of the current bar.

Edit:
Found the solution to my problem in this forum:
I have count in enabled. That’s why the cursor jumped back
I disabled count in and the cursor stopped jumping back.
What a relief.
I edit doesn’t allow me to paste link to the post.
Quoting the post content as is:

Blockquote
When count in is enabled, the recording has to always start at the beginning of a bar. Only the had the count in sense. Therefore the cursor always jumps back to the nearest Bar start, then is the count in and then the recording starts.

Search for “problems-with-cursor-position-upon-pressing-record” in the forum to find that post.

This issue with pre-roll is annoying. I read these posts and tried the solutions but this persists as if it was normal for the cursor to jump back to the bar even when you instruct the program to start recording at the cursor position. I often use pre-roll and it is very useful, if only it would start recording where I tell it to! I expected it to work when I turned off the ‘‘snap’’ button (logical approach). There may be work arounds but this is such a basic tool that it should work intuitively.

I am on 8.5 Pro (I am an amateur and I don’t need the more performing newer versions). If you could only make the cursor start where the cursor is in pre-roll , I would be very happy…

@helier If you want to start recording at a specific point but have the project play back a few bars/beats before that, you could use the Punch-In locator with pre-roll turned off. Then you can position the play head where you want.

Thank you for the quick response! In fact, this is exactly what I have been using as a workaround.

What this means is that the command under transport (transport/common recording modes/start recording at project cursor position) is useless and has been put there simply to annoy us…
Joking aside, I think this command should do just that! What is it for anyway?

I will continue using the roundabout way and feel sorry for myself!

Again, thank you for responding

Robert