Custom Font Styles

I am a bit confused with how to use custom font or paragraph styles. I’m writing out the songs for my musical, and I want to have a new font style that I can use for character names. I am able to create new styles, but I can’t figure out how to use them when creating text. What am I missing? It seems like I should be able to access the new styles from the text popover, or some other way, but I can’t figure out how to do that. The only way I’ve been able to find to do what I want is to write what I want in the text popover, change the style settings, then apply a frame in the properties panel. This is a lot of steps for something that should be simple I think, considering how streamlined Dorico is with everything else. So, I figure I must be missing something.

I think it is a custom Paragraph style you’ll need to create for that.

1 Like

I’ve tried that as well, but it doesn’t seem to show up as an option when I need to add it.

Depending on the scope of your project and how you want to handle things, you could rename instruments to use the required character name, and use Dorico’s automatic instrument change feature to show instrument change labels at their entries?

For text items, you can select a paragraph style to apply to the item from the text editor options pop-up. Provided the paragraph style is set to show a border by default, one should appear. If that’s not happening, please attach a project that’s not working as expected here in this thread.

(And welcome to the forum!)

That worked! I don’t know what I did differently this time (perhaps looked closer…) but now I see it in the text popover. I don’t think I was looking in the right place at the right time before.

That is an interesting idea as well. I’ll have to see about trying that.

1 Like