Custom microtonal accidental + string harmonic issue

Admittedly, this is a niche request. But I’m having the issue that my chosen accidental for a quarter-tone sharp is not being replicated in the touch-fourth string harmonic, which uses the default accidental (see image). Is there a way to change or override this? Many thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 7.49.48 PM

Are you running the latest version (3.5.12)? I seem to remember us making a change in one of the 3.5.x updates that will cause Dorico to use the same accidental for the harmonic notehead as for the main notehead, assuming it is expressable using that same accidental.

Hello Daniel — I am indeed running 3.5.12. What I’ve discovered after a little more sleuthing is that there are 3 accidentals that signify “quarter-tone” sharp — the first two standard issue, and the third one which has been changed:

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 3.30.45 PM

However all three default to the first of these accidentals on the harmonic notehead:

Screen Shot 2021-10-03 at 3.32.34 PM

Thanks for your attention and all the best!

If you have a particular preference for which accidental should be used for quarter-tone sharp, perhaps you could try removing the other two from the tonality system?

That could work in this case, but in general it’s a bit more complicated because (switching to flats now for an example) I use a few separate accidentals which are tagged as “a quarter-tone flat”: both the reversed flat (to signify 50 cents flat) and the natural sign with an arrow (to signify -34 cents, a 7th partial).

So it would ultimately be advantageous to be able to have both of these accidentals operating independently in the tonality system. Again, I know I’m in a minority of users as a microtonalist, but this small change in a future release could be most helpful!

Yup, I understand the requirement. It’s tricky because the harmonic is not a “real” note, so there’s no good way to override its accidental specifically. For the time being you may need to use a real note with an overridden notehead in order to also override its accidental to the correct one from your tonality system.