Custom notehead width

I still don’t understand why the op won’t just make spacing adjustments with the note spacing tool. Yes, you want dorico to get you most of the way there, but some manual tweaking is required for EVERY score.

I totally agree, manual note spacing is absolutely essential when you’re talking about this level of detail. I never touch it when I’m doing an orchestration or a chart of some kind, but I have used it copiously on every single file I’ve created of the type we’re discussing here. And usually multiple adjustments on every line.

And it’s very easy to use, once you’ve learned how it functions.

I’m just persnickety enough that I usually adjust nearly every note to smooth out the added space for lyric widths and to more clearly delineate neume grouping.

Very nice.
As an aside, I recommend slurs always above for stemless notehead chant like this; it seems to be a general convention. (Except for nested slurs; there I generally alternate above for the larger and below for the smaller).

Yes. I’ve debated. In this case, this follows experimentation that I’ve been doing where I have the slurs go up if the overall motion ascends and the slurs underneath when the neume descends. It’s a subtle visual cue for less-trained singers. (Although I do now see a mistake on “from”.)

Edit-- I should also mention that one thing that would make dealing with slurs much easier is if the non-existent stems weren’t considered when rendering slurs. They behave differently depending on where the theoretical stem should be and I wish this wasn’t the case.

Finally getting back to this after a busy couple of days.

Stubbornness? :stuck_out_tongue: It’s really more trying to do things The Dorico Way. Fewer manual adjustments means more flexibility. Indeed you eventually need manual tweaks in the very last stage of preparation, but I want to do as little of it as I can get away with until then. There are lots of really good ideas in this thread now, so it’s more to play around with.

Agreed here. Another thing for Daniel’s endless list of feature tweaks…

1 Like