Cut, copy and paste

Thanks Lillie.

I have discovered a couple of new problems. I wrote out a Jazz piece on piano and added an upright bass part. When I enter the notes, the notation is out by an octave, if I play B below middle C, it is notated in the B Line in the treble clef. I checked the Steinberg forum and around 2017 there was a problem in the desktop app. Second problem, is that I have Flow 1 on the second page, like a heading on top of the page. I went in to LAYER OPTIONS-PAGE SETUP-FLOWS, to hide Flow 1 and it doesn’t work. I would like to remove it from my printed music. Perhaps I am in the wrong place. Any feedback would be appreciated. Many thanks. Eric

1. The upright bass (double bass) is a transposing instrument, it sounds an octave lower than written. This is an established norm which Dorico follows automatically, similar to piccolos sounding an octave higher than written.

2. If you mean “Flow 1” appearing small at the very top of page 2, level with the page number, then that’s due to the formatting of the Default master page. Here’s a diagram showing what information appears by default, and where it comes from. Here’s how to edit the Default master page - for step 1, double-click the Default master page. If you never want to see the flow title at the top of pages 2 onwards (that is, pages using the Default master page), just delete the text frame at the top of the page from both sides, but leave the frame in the corners with the page number token.

Not sure I can do anything on 2. I am only using the iPad version. As to 1… How can you write a bass part of this transposing instrument correctly? A bass player would not be aware of this, and in order to make his part readable, I have to show some of the part written in the treble clef. Very confusing. There has to be a way around this. Would I write the part for an electric bass, for instance. It seems crazy that I can ‘t play back the upright bass part written an octave out. What is your opinion on this very confusing approach by Dorico. Thanks for your reply.

This is how Bass is notated. The lowest note on a standard bass (whether electric or acoustic/upright) is printed as the E a single ledger line below the bass staff, but it sounds an octave lower. Every reading bass player is aware of this.

For 2, the only thing you can realistically do on the iPad version (in this regard) is rename the flow itself to absolutely nothing, from the bottom panel of Setup mode.

You can rename flows from Setup mode, but as the flow title token refers to the flow title in Project Info, you may prefer to remove the text from there directly.

At the risk of being a smarty pants, I noticed that if you attempt to delete “Flow 1” from within Project Info, it won’t take. Not even if you type something into another field. If you replace “Flow 1” with a single space it will take.

I’m not sure whether this is a bug or merely a usability thing.

(For the sake of completeness, this seems to be basically the same on Big Dorico: if you delete the contents of the Flow Title field in Project Info and don’t type anything else in, Dorico automatically replaces it with whatever the flow is named.)

1 Like

Sure, it’s been a while since I checked that - I mainly said it in case the link between flow name and flow title had already been broken, meaning renaming the flow in Setup mode wouldn’t update the flow title; if you’re not aware of the distinction, that can be confusing.

1 Like

Thank you all. Got 2. Will rewrite 1 to reflect correct notation.

I didn’t realise the upright bass was a transposing instrument. Thanks again.