Cut selection to New Midi Track, Dissolve Alternative?

Update: Please see SteveinChicago’s post on this, and you might want to take a look, also, at my screen shot. This is an excellent way to easily distribute notes from one track to other tracks. A very useful, musical function built into Cubase.

Original post:
I’m looking for advice on how I might cut some notes from a track and place those on a new MIDI track directly below.

If I use Dissolve by Pitch, Cubase creates a new instrument instance for each lane, so, I might suddenly have to deal with 10 instances of some particular instrument and I only need one. If I Dissolve to Lanes, then I can’t name each Lane and it becomes difficult to organize the parts. (If there’s a way to name individual parts on a Lane, I’ve not been able to find it.)

What I find easiest is to simply Cut the notes I want to move and then Paste them onto a New Midi Track. I’d like a Macro that was kind of “dissolve by selected notes.”

Perhaps one of the clearest way to show how this is needed is with HHats that uses an Exclusive Group. If HHats like that are dissolved to different tracks or instrument instances, the Exclusive Group no longer functions so the open Hat is not cut off by the closed, if they are on the same track, it obviously works correctly. This is also an issue if dissolving parts playing a Mono Patch or a patch where legato overlap is being used in some way.

So, stated simply as possible. What’s a good strategy to 1) cut selected notes and 2) paste those notes to new MIDI track directly under the current track? I don’t care about naming or assigning a channel or instrument to the new track. I can do that after the track is created.

Steps to the task.

1. Open Key Editor (or maybe even score editor, drum editor, list editor)
  2. Select Notes in Part (all the HHats, which could span many pitches)
  3. Edit/Cut Notes
  4. Create New Midi Track directly under current and of the same length
  5. Paste Selected Notes to New Track
    6. Make me a sammich! :laughing:

Thanks for any help or ideas about this.

Hi,

I don’t have a final solution, but I was thinking in this direction:

• Select MIDI Notes
  • Trigger Macro
  1. Logical Editor: Set MIDI Channel of Selected MIDI Notes to 2.
  2. Duplicate track
  3. [The MIDI event of the 1st track is selected] Logical Editor: If MIDI Channel == 2, then Delete
  4. Navigation > Down (to select the MIDI event in the next track)
  5. Logical Editor: If MIDI Channel == 1, then Delete.
    Done.

The issue is, once you select the wanted MIDI Notes in the Editor, the Project window lose the focus, and you cannot Duplicate the track.

Another approach:

• Open Editor in the Lower Zone
  • Select the MIDI Notes in the Lower Zone Editor
    Macro:
  1. Logical Preset: Set MIDI Channel of Selected MIDI Notes to 2.
  2. Close the Lower Zone editor (to get focus back to the Project window)
  3. Dissolve Part > Separate Channels
  4. Delete Selected track (the source one)
  5. Navigate > Down (to select the 2nd track)
  • [manual step] Set the MIDI Channel of the 2nd track to 1.

I was also thinking in the way of Create Versions from Lanes… But I also wasn’t able to find a clear way by using this.

I hope this brainstorming will lead to something for you. :wink:

I hope, there is an easier way, but I just don’t see it. :smiley:

Thanks, so far, no luck with this.

The task is a simple and I’d think a pretty common one. A part is played on a keyboard and then the notes can easily be edited – either by cutting them out of the original and pasting them to a new sound, or by duplicating them so they are doubled on some other instruments.

I thought if I started with the cut function, to move the notes to a new midi channel, I’d be able to modify the macro so it would copy rather than cut.

I’ve experimented with a few simple macros and so far nothing’s working. I looked at the logical editor but wasn’t able to understand what you were saying above.

Now, it seems none of my key commands are working at all. I was going to post a screen shot, but it will have to wait.

:frowning:

Hi Stephen.

Maybe the Paste at origin command would work.

I haven’t tried this, but you could try copy (or cut), select new midi track, paste at origin.

Logical editor Extract function does exactly this.

Why not read the manual? The L.E. functions are all listed. Sorry to say it in such an irritated tone, but the html manual is eminently search-able, and you could find the answer in 30 seconds, rather than in 24 hours.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/logical_editor_transformer_and_input_transformer/function_selecting_r.html

Steve, you don’t sound irritated at all and thanks for answering. Honestly, even after reading the manual on the LE over and again – again with this question – I’m still unclear about using it. :blush: What has helped a lot are posts on the forum about it. I recognize that the LE is a very powerful tool. The few tasks I have learned to make use of the LE on keep me plugging away at it.

The task is simple and potentially very useful for me and perhaps others. Like many if not most Cubase and MIDI DAW users, I often begin projects with a basic idea on keyboard and then want to flesh out and orchestrate by moving or duplicating notes to other sounds.

In case anyone’s just catching up with this thread, this is what the desired Macro will do:

Prerequisite: Select Notes on a single MIDI Track
Macro(s) (one for copy, one for cut)
Start

1. Copy (or Cut) the pre-selected notes
  2. Create New Midi Track and Part Container for the new notes
  3. Past notes to new Track at the same locations-* in time they had on the Source track.
    End
    Instruments and final MIDI channel to be assigned after the track is created.

*-(I notice with cut/paste the pasted notes don’t hold the time position of Source track. Notes selected on upbeats are pasted to the downbeats of the new track, but this is a different question for another post).

Back to the manual and the drawing board. I’ll post if I get any useful results on this.

Stephen

Thanks, I’ll look at that. I think I tried putting that into a test macro, but I’ll look again.

GOT IT! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

SteveinChicago Thank You!

Here’s a screen shot showing success.

I notice that if I use of the functions with an instrument connected, a new instance of the instrument is created. However, if the track is set to “not connected” before using the LE Function, then a “not connected” midi track is created and it’s a simple matter of re-assigning the track. I also happily notice that the position in time of the copied or extracted notes on of source track is exactly duplicated on the new destination track. Outstanding!

Thanks.