Cutaway scores

I guess the problem with doing it the way I did with a 0-line staff instrument, is that the hidden notes required to correctly make the “instrument” changes correctly will screw up the multibar rests in the parts. Doing a cutaway score this way would require saving it as a separate project and removing the 0-line staff instruments I suppose, in order for the parts to appear correctly.

As far as I know, there’s no way for force a mid-system bracket to appear either, like below:

2 Likes

That score is really beautiful and I can imagine the possibilities! I really need the ability to do cut out scores (sigh)… I’m half tempted to go back to Sibelius to achieve this… although Dorico is far superior…

1 Like

Recently had to hack this together. You do not want to see what this looks like with frames & signposts visible. Also I count myself lucky that the rest of this full-size opera is conventionally metrical…

1 Like

I would be very interested in seeing it with Frames and Signposts visible.

1 Like

It’s not even that bad, if I’m honest. Just took a lot of time to get right. We’re seeing three separate flows here, one for each rhythmic layer:
—the unmetered vocal staves + the “Orchester” wiggly line
—the woodwinds, percussion and accordeon
—the brass
Each is in its own frame chain, excluded from the rest of the piece. All the music frames are placed manually to line up at the start, the “barlines” joining them are graphic elements placed manually. The few Lutoslawski-style boxes in the percussion are bordered Shift-X text boxes filled with spaces & carriage returns to get them to the right size, then placed manually with collision avoidance turned off.

Everything feels quite hacky at this point, and I’m sure I could have found more elegant solutions for some of it. But it works, so long as there will be no significant edits in the 200 preceding pages. Given that the piece is still in the revision stage, I’m still living in moderate fear :wink:

2 Likes

Did you create separate Master Page sets for these pages in case they need moving?

What are the implications for the instrumental parts?

What’s hard right now is 1) you can’t convert an existing layout page into a master page, obviously, and 2) you can’t preview the resulting page while you’re creating a master page. Those two things make it difficult to use Master Pages when there’s all sorts of nuance to be done.

I made a rough master page that has the three frames set up with the corresponding frame chains, keeping in mind that they’d be overridden anyway. The instrumental parts for this section are in another separate flow, so I could edit the “score” version in whichever way I needed.

The thing that I do is the following:

• I create a time messure + option/alt key
  • Then I change (one by one…) the barline to dotted holding option/alt

And…

I’m trying to hide the first vertical line, but I think it would be impossible without doing your technique

Also, if you don’t use any 1-line staff, you can set to 0 the Minimum barline protrusion:

Engraving options > Barlines > Design

Thanks for the explanation!

@klafkid

Thanks for posting those examples. They’re very interesting, but even with a lifetime of music experience, I have no idea how to interpret them. :slightly_smiling_face:

You don’t need a lifetime of music experience to interpret them, just half an hour of dedicated score study.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ll try to find a copy.