D3: "Input on Multiple Staves" issue: Only top instrument range is been heard + feature requests

Hi,

1. I have an issue when selecting a string trio (just for example) - (violin,viola,cello) -
    Stand on the Cello stave, press shift+N to start inputting notes, press Shift+UP (twice) - in order to select all the trio.
    Then Start entering chords (3 notes at the same time) via midi keyboard on low range - for example: G1, D1, G2.
    I only hear (during note input) - G2 note - which is the lowest note of the Violin (which is the top instrument in the selected list).
    I don’t hear the Viola nor the Cello.
    All of them can be heard during Playback but not during Note input - which makes it very hard to use this feature!!!
    I always have to guess what I’m inputting - don’t think a program advanced like that brings us back to the days of writing with a pencil and hearing what we are writing only in our head :smiley:
    I wish as a fast workaround for this isssue - If I could only choose which of all the selected instruments will be the one I can listen throughout the multi staves note input, because the Cello has much more range of the Notes I want to enter (it has almost all the range I need - both for himselft and the Viola and most of the violin part). But currently it doesn’t matter which instrument I’m starting the note input (shift+N) and then select the other instruments. It always playback the top instrument in the list instead instead of the instument that I selected first.

2. Feature reuqest I: I really wish there was an option If I play chord of 3 notes - then change only one of the notes, so the other 2 notes been held will continue (as a tied note or changing the last note duration (e.g. from 1/4 to 1/2 or from 1/8 to 1/4).
    Currently it only put the new note on all the 3 instuments and ignore the fact the I still hold the other 2 notes!
    It will be really easy and intuitive to write SATB parts like this and very intuitive as I play new compositions. (it something that puts this feature much more advanced - something between Note input and real-time input, but here you don’t have to play according to Metronom and worry about timing issues, you simply play a chord, have time to think how you want to resolve it to the next note, which of the 3 or 4 notes will be changing while the other continues… - This could be really smart composing feature!!! PLEEEEASSSEEEEEEE :mrgreen:

3. Feature reuqest II: I really wish this feature was available also for Real-Time note input - then it would be really awesome cool feature!!!
    I see in my dreams were I simply play parts with chords in my keyboard and it will be written as splitted into Bass, Cello, Viola & Violin according to what I played and according to each instrument range.
    Thanks again.

When you input via your MIDI keyboard, Dorico will use the sound from one of the instruments to echo what you’re playing back to you, and it’ll almost always be the staff on which the caret started. When you’re inputting across a string section, you’re playing across the registers of multiple instruments. So that Dorico can play the sound back to you right away without an uncomfortable latency, it doesn’t know at the point at which you play the notes which instrument(s) each note will end up input in – so it doesn’t know whether it should route a low note to the cello, or whatever, at the point at which you depress the key, which is the point at which it needs to sound it back to you. I’m not sure what we can realistically do about this, but one option would be to use the ‘HSSE (Elements)’ playback template for input, because the various sounds in the HSSE factory library – as opposed to those in HSO – all have notes across the full MIDI range.

We do plan to add the ability to input across multiple staves to real-time input as well, in due course.

Thanks Daniel for your fast reply.
2 things I want to mention:

1. regarding your first suggestion - it doesn’t play the Cello sound even if this is the first instrument that I choose. It always plays the upper one (violin) in my case.

2. you didn’t refer to the issue were changing one note of a chord is putting only this new note for all the trio and Dorico totally ignored the 2 held notes. Much more useful is at least to repeat those held notes as a new chord is input with the held 2 notes plus the new note that was changed.
    This is basic implementation needed here.

Further improvement could be that it will really hold the notes with a tie or actually change the note duration. It could be really smart note input way without having to care for the durations per note.

Regarding what you wrote about future enhancements for real time input- THANKS !!! That would be awesome!

It’s very quick to type in the held notes multiple times, and then hit T to tie them together after the fact. Daniel already pointed out that real-time recording will eventually be brought to extended-caret entry, and you seem to have ignored that.

Correct.
I added “Thank you” for the future implementation of the real time input- that would be really awesome to have!

For now I hope they will have a quick fix for the issue with the held notes that are being ignored each time a new note is played - currently it put only the new note for all instruments (all staves same note) instead of the new chord created by the 2 held notes + 1 new. Chord should be spread into the multi staves instead of putting only the new note.

When they will fix this issue - Then it will be quick to go all over and press “t” (tie) for all notes that been repeated.
Actually I think that if they could implement a smart algorithm that double the held notes duration each time a new note is played, it could be the smartest Note Entry of all notation SW, because then you won’t need to enter the duration per each note being played!
Great tool for composers who cannot compose in “Real Time Entry”, it gives time to hold the notes and think were to go next.
They could also add option to double all notes been held - if someone press the Sustain pedal, etc…

I’m going to create an edited video - where I present my idea about Smart Note Entry without having to change the duration per each note entry.
I will upload it soon.
I can create a whole composition in this method without shifting duration (almost at all) - each time a new note being played causing the notes been held simply expand their duration according to the note input duration value.
:smiley:

As Promised before Here is my video demonstrating how in my opinion it should be done when holding notes of the chords and only one note is changed while other notes are held: (I took it 1 step further and introduced the idea of smart duration where the held notes duration are actually expands rhythms according to input duration value -
BUT even if Dorico team will not implement it fully (with the duration changing automatically)-
I think the held notes should be at least repeated when one note of the chord is changing as opposed for current implementation where changing a single note will ignore all the held notes - and will assign only the new note to all marked staves! This is wrong functionality IMHO which causing the composer the press the chord again and again (each time with only 1 note changing) instead of simply changing this one note.
Please look at this video Demoing the new feature of Input on Multiple Staves with 2 enhancements:

1. Notes being held are actually repeated and
  2. Their duration is changed automatically - so you can enter a full composition without to play the note duration (1-8) even once!
    Smart Duration Note Input - Composed by Yaron Feinberg - Compose with only 1 duration chosen: (1/4) - YouTube

You can read it in this Thread where I introduce the Principles: