D4 importing/exporting midi with articulations

First off, great update, so many improvements.
That said…

Can Dorico 4 have a way of looking for articulations based on articulation maps when importing midi?

I can export midi from Dorico to Digital Performer and it sends all playback techniques as midi, and it plays back sounding the same. That’s amazing.

But when I try to re-import that same file without changing any articulations Dorico 4 doesn’t recognize articulations, instead I get a score filled with tons of notes in the lowest octave that don’t even playback as the correct articulation as well as some incorrect articulations.

And this is likely just me, but I can’t find a way to drag select notes in the new piano roll editor, so to delete those low midi notes that are extra articulations I have to click select each note.

For doing film work typically you compose in your DAW and then send it to Dorico for charts, but I could see doing some writing in Dorico where its now quite fast, sending it to DP to edit sync and then sending it back to Dorico again to prep charts.

thanks

I’m going to reply to myself here, just in case there are others going through the same process:

You can filter out midi articulations in the lower ‘import options’ menu. Though when you do that it loses all articulations totally, of course. Which makes it look cleaner, but you just have to redo them.

Now I’m trying to figure out quantization. I wrote a piece with 16th triplets, it imports correctly and plays correctly in DP, but importing that same file back into D4 is a mess, with rhythms all wrong, incorrect tuplet interpretation. I don’t think DP is doing any quantization or messing with rhythms in the export, but I will also check that out.

Maybe I’ll try xml export/import into D4 and see if that comes out closer.

I’m still having issues here.

Exporting midi from D4 directly and then re-importing that midi is a mess. It misses 16th triplets, notates repeated figures differently on each pass, durations are off, can’t re-import midi articulations based off of articulation maps. I have to use the midi filter to filter out the lowest octaves and all the articulations to get even The midi still plays back with the correct rhythms but the notation of those rhythms is a mess.

Same issues trying to import midi in Dorico 3.5.

I also confirmed that the timing is ‘straight’ so that there isn’t any swing that would be confusing D4’s import.

Importing that same midi back into DP it works fine, plays back accurately, including playing the articulations set in Dorico, which is amazing. But for the life of me I can’t figure out how to get a clean midi import into D4.

Could there be something in my Dorico settings which is making it not interpret 16th triplets or even 16ths consistently?

How have you set up your MIDI input options in Preferences > Play?

Playback options are still on the default settings. I had put it on swing for another project, not sure if D4 allows it to be set for a project and not system wide as I think D3.5 did. Regardless, its on straight.

I see that humanization is set to 30%, which I assume is default as I haven’t changed it. I wonder if that means I need to go either turn that off before I export midi in D4 or quantize the heck out of it in DP, including durations.

I had assumed that D4 would read back its own timings correctly, perhaps its just this humanization.

It was pretty standard for me to quantize the heck out of anything that went in to Sibelius and now Dorico, the only that changed here was that I started in Dorico, sent it to DP where it played back perfectly and then assumed that Dorico would interpret its own fine work correctly.

But this looks like I still have to follow the 'quantize the heck out of it for notation rule for DAW to notation program. Then delete all articulations and then manually re-input articulations, dynamics, techniques, slurs and phrasing.

I had put it into DP for timing issues, to tweak tempos and fermata, since this is still a D4 weakness.
Writing in D4 is much more enjoyable, but hitting cues and tempos to picture isn’t easy.

So back to the old method, write in DP, quantize the heck out of it and work on legible charts and not worry about playback.