D5 Questions

Hi,
I want to know:

1. Can D4 & D5 be up and running at the same time on the same computer?

2. Is Flux actually included in the Haion 7 version? I see the instrument, but all the choices have a Red circle w/white line in it, next to each choice name.

3)About condensing: I have a very big string orchestra. I initially set it up as each player being a Solo player. When condensing I’m getting what look like weird groupings. Specifically I have 14 Vin I, 14 Vin II, 10 Viola, 8 Cello & 6 Doublebass.
Here’s a sample of what I’m running into:

1. I created a Violin II as an instrument, but they don’t have the same grouping starting baronies that Violin I, Viola, Cello & D.Bass have. Any idea for this?
    Thank you for your time and consideration.

Just a quick answer for your first question - no. They can both be installed simultaneously without issues, but they can’t both be running at the same time. With one running, if you try to start the other it will hang when trying to initialize the audio engine.

3)About condensing: I have a very big string orchestra. I initially set it up as each player being a Solo player. When condensing I’m getting what look like weird groupings. Specifically I have 14 Vin I, 14 Vin II, 10 Viola, 8 Cello & 6 Doublebass.
Here’s a sample of what I’m running into:

This is just the result of dorico trying to condense 14 Vionlins into 3 staffs and for every entry the 14 players are divided differently among the voices/notes.

For example:
the B flat in the 4th bar is played by violin 6-10 and in the 7th 6-9. On the first long note 4-6 play the B flat and 7-9 an A.
How would you arrange them in 3 staff?

Maybe you can get a better result by manually change the condensing in engrave mode, but if all the score looks like this, it might alway be a bit messy.

Do you really need each of your 14 violins to be a separate, single player with their own separate part layout with just that player’s music in it, or would having one section player per string section that you can then use divisi to split out onto separate staves if needed work just as well? The latter method would mean there’s one part layout for all Violin II players*, for example, which can show separate staves where their parts need full splitting out, even if those passages appear condensed onto one staff in the full score.

Of course, if you need individual parts for each individual violin player, then by all means go ahead; but I suspect you’ll have neater results in general if you use section players and divisi.

As to what’s going on with the bracketing: you might need to share the project itself, or at least a cut-down version that demonstrates the issue, for anyone to say definitively. Although you can start by checking for brown Bracket and Barline Change signposts at some earlier point in the flow, or whether any of these players are in player groups in the Players panel in Setup mode.

( * although you could in a pinch create multiple part layouts, each showing the same Violin II player, and use manual staff visibility to hide certain desks’ staves if you wanted to narrow the focus, e.g. to facilitate page turns that would otherwise be impossible due to the staff count)

2 Likes

Having 14 distinct Violin II parts would be a nuisance for an orchestra librarian.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Don’t quite get your comment, but please elaborate on it since I’m still on a learning curve with these topics.
Thank you

If I may … Normally orchestra music has 5 printed string parts. There may be 8 copies of Violin I (etc.) but most often any divisi are printed together, so everyone in the section gets the same part and can see what the others are doing when they split. This makes it easier to read, easier for rehearsal in case a director wants to assign a divisi differently, and also easier for the librarian who has to keep track of which music goes on every stand.

If you really are writing mostly for solo strings with not much doubling, you should probably label the parts differently. Strauss’s “Metamorphosen” for 23 solo strings has 10 individual Violin parts (each with copious cues).

1 Like